Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Coronavirus - the political argument

+13
observer
Sluffy
gloswhite
Ten Bobsworth
BoltonTillIDie
okocha
wessy
Cajunboy
xmiles
karlypants
Norpig
Natasha Whittam
boltonbonce
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31  Next

Go down  Message [Page 30 of 31]

581Coronavirus - the political argument - Page 30 Empty Re: Coronavirus - the political argument Thu Jun 04 2020, 10:04

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

But does it make sense for people from here who go on holiday or abroad for some other reason to self isolate when they get back? Most European countries for example have much lower infection rates than us.

582Coronavirus - the political argument - Page 30 Empty Re: Coronavirus - the political argument Thu Jun 04 2020, 10:17

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:But does it make sense for people from here who go on holiday or abroad for some other reason to self isolate when they get back? Most European countries for example have much lower infection rates than us.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Let's be honest, millions of Brits abroad getting pissed every night is a recipe for a massive second wave.

It's just common sense to stop any spread.

583Coronavirus - the political argument - Page 30 Empty Re: Coronavirus - the political argument Thu Jun 04 2020, 10:22

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We do have a holiday booked for Portugal at the end of July but Mrs Pig doesn't want to risk it even if there is a arrangement set up between the UK and Portugal to stop the self isolation. As NHS workers we couldn't have 2 weeks holiday then 2 weeks isolation so we need to see what our options are.

Mrs Pig would prefer to move it to the same time next year.

584Coronavirus - the political argument - Page 30 Empty Re: Coronavirus - the political argument Thu Jun 04 2020, 10:25

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I don't blame her, I honestly don't see how a holiday in July could be much fun with social distancing everywhere.

585Coronavirus - the political argument - Page 30 Empty Re: Coronavirus - the political argument Thu Jun 04 2020, 13:13

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Better to be safe than sorry.

Let's be honest, millions of Brits abroad getting pissed every night is a recipe for a massive second wave.

It's just common sense to stop any spread.

But there is no scientific justification for this half baked quarantine so it isn't common sense. Infection rates are far lower in EU countries than here. In addition it will be completely impossible to police.

Just how far do you want to take "better safe than sorry" Nat?

586Coronavirus - the political argument - Page 30 Empty Re: Coronavirus - the political argument Thu Jun 04 2020, 13:32

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote:But there is no scientific justification for this half baked quarantine so it isn't common sense. Infection rates are far lower in EU countries than here. In addition it will be completely impossible to police.

Just how far do you want to take "better safe than sorry" Nat?

The virus is far from extinct in the rest of the world. It doesn't take many initial infections to start a second wave so why risk it?

It's common sense to quarantine people coming in from other countries. What is the downside? A few people are inconvenienced for a couple of weeks.

587Coronavirus - the political argument - Page 30 Empty Re: Coronavirus - the political argument Thu Jun 04 2020, 13:57

I mean, the downside is clearly to the economy. 

Personally though i think they should be quarantining anyone arriving, the only question for me is why they have waited until now instead of doing it before our infection rate became so dangerous. Horse has already bolted.

588Coronavirus - the political argument - Page 30 Empty Re: Coronavirus - the political argument Thu Jun 04 2020, 14:29

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Part of the downside is the further damage to the tourist and travel industry.

As I have already said there is no scientific support for this quarantine. It seems to be just a political decision and it is totally impractical.

I am not advocating abandoning all safeguarding measures but I am hoping that we will only be advised to adhere to those that are sensible.

589Coronavirus - the political argument - Page 30 Empty Re: Coronavirus - the political argument Thu Jun 04 2020, 14:38

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote:Part of the downside is the further damage to the tourist and travel industry.

As I have already said there is no scientific support for this quarantine. It seems to be just a political decision and it is totally impractical.

That makes no sense, are you suggesting that isolating yourself for a fortnight has no impact on the virus?

Bob comes back from Europe with the virus but shows no symptoms. He attends 3 BBQs, meets loads of people, and passes the virus onto 30 other people.

Edith comes back from Europe with the virus and goes into a 2 week quarantine and passes the virus to no one.

You'll really need to explain the "science" to me.

590Coronavirus - the political argument - Page 30 Empty Re: Coronavirus - the political argument Thu Jun 04 2020, 14:54

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Norpig wrote:We do have a holiday booked for Portugal at the end of July but Mrs Pig doesn't want to risk it even if there is a arrangement set up between the UK and Portugal to stop the self isolation. As NHS workers we couldn't have 2 weeks holiday then 2 weeks isolation so we need to see what our options are.

Mrs Pig would prefer to move it to the same time next year.
Listen to your wife, peace of mind is everything at the moment.

Two plane flights to contend with and a lot of nutters on the move too.

591Coronavirus - the political argument - Page 30 Empty Re: Coronavirus - the political argument Thu Jun 04 2020, 14:57

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Cajunboy wrote:
Listen to your wife, peace of mind is everything at the moment.

Two plane flights to contend with and a lot of nutters on the move too.
She is the boss and must be obeyed at all times  Very Happy

592Coronavirus - the political argument - Page 30 Empty Re: Coronavirus - the political argument Thu Jun 04 2020, 15:24

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Natasha Whittam wrote:

That makes no sense, are you suggesting that isolating yourself for a fortnight has no impact on the virus?

Bob comes back from Europe with the virus but shows no symptoms. He attends 3 BBQs, meets loads of people, and passes the virus onto 30 other people.

Edith comes back from Europe with the virus and goes into a 2 week quarantine and passes the virus to no one.

You'll really need to explain the "science" to me.

Perhaps this quote from Sky News will help:

Speaking at the daily news briefing on Wednesday, chief scientific adviser Sir Patrick Vallance confirmed scientists from the government's SAGE panel (Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies) had not been asked to provide advice on the specific proposals.

He said quarantines work best for restricting travel from countries with high rates of infection when cases in Britain were low.

The UK is currently seeing higher infection rates than most other European countries.

593Coronavirus - the political argument - Page 30 Empty Re: Coronavirus - the political argument Thu Jun 04 2020, 16:49

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Norpig wrote:
She is the boss and must be obeyed at all times  Very Happy
I know that feeling.

594Coronavirus - the political argument - Page 30 Empty Re: Coronavirus - the political argument Sat Jun 06 2020, 14:46

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Almost everyone in the country, and abroad, will have a different response to just about every question. Unfortunately, there is only one definite in the current situation, the virus is still active, and still affecting, and killing, far too many people.
As a nation, we have stumbled our way along to the present day, and we still cannot seem to get a clear and definite path. So much so, that we are all now considering our own individual responses amongst all the confusion.
Although I am shielding, (11 weeks now), I realise that the virus will never go away, with or without a vaccine, and I must eventually try to get my life back on an even keel. I've been out four times now, very carefully, because I know its going to be risky at any time. more so when those in the government and advisory groups agree it is safe to do so.
Tomorrow I have my two daughters, husbands, and 3 young grandsons coming around to wish me happy birthday, 3 of them I see regularly, but the other 4 only from a distance. For me its a risk seeing the 4, but its something I will have to do sooner or later, and I genuinely believe the risk in this case is almost non-existent. Its the sort of decision we'll all have to make in the future, and to be honest, its not easy.

595Coronavirus - the political argument - Page 30 Empty Re: Coronavirus - the political argument Sat Jun 06 2020, 14:50

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Fwiw I think you are doing the right thing glos.

Have a happy birthday tomorrow.

596Coronavirus - the political argument - Page 30 Empty Re: Coronavirus - the political argument Sat Jun 06 2020, 14:55

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Thanks XM, appreciated.

597Coronavirus - the political argument - Page 30 Empty Re: Coronavirus - the political argument Sat Jun 06 2020, 15:18

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:Tomorrow I have my two daughters, husbands, and 3 young grandsons coming around to wish me happy birthday

How many husbands do you have?

598Coronavirus - the political argument - Page 30 Empty Re: Coronavirus - the political argument Sun Jun 07 2020, 00:34

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

gloswhite wrote:Almost everyone in the country, and abroad, will have a different response to just about every question. Unfortunately, there is only one definite in the current situation, the virus is still active, and still affecting, and killing, far too many people.
As a nation, we have stumbled our way along to the present day, and we still cannot seem to get a clear and definite path. So much so, that we are all now considering our own individual responses amongst all the confusion.
Although I am shielding, (11 weeks now), I realise that the virus will never go away, with or without a vaccine, and I must eventually try to get my life back on an even keel. I've been out four times now, very carefully, because I know its going to be risky at any time. more so when those in the government and advisory groups agree it is safe to do so.
Tomorrow I have my two daughters, husbands, and 3 young grandsons coming around to wish me happy birthday, 3 of them I see regularly, but the other 4 only from a distance. For me its a risk seeing the 4, but its something I will have to do sooner or later, and I genuinely believe the risk in this case is almost non-existent. Its the sort of decision we'll all have to make in the future, and to be honest, its not easy.

Happy Birthday for Sunday!

I don't know if this is any use to you or anyone else on here but I visit this BBC link everyday and put in my postcode and make a note as to the daily confirmed cases in my area.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274

By doing this it gives me an idea at least as to how things seem to be going at the present (or at least on assuming that it takes on average 5 days for symptoms to show - that's if you aren't one of those who are infected but show no symptoms - about as recently as five or so days ago).

I've been doing it for several weeks now and it has shown a steady decline over that time - so much so that there are even some days now were no new cases are being recorded - which has surprised me as I could see for myself that people had given up on lockdown weeks ago around here!

Of course it's not something I would want to bet my life on (which may well be the case if I did catch the virus badly) but it does give me a sense of proportion about the risk I'm taking as and when I go out and meet people / or choose not too.

Statistically the chances of catching the virus is small - and isolating yourself from everyone else makes it extremely hard to catch - but speaking for myself I don't wish to spend the rest of my life locked away in fear, so I simply try to work out the chances and get on with my life as much as I can.

I'm sure your daughters and their spouses wouldn't take any chances on inadvertently infecting you or your good wife, so enjoy your day with them.

:drinks:

599Coronavirus - the political argument - Page 30 Empty Re: Coronavirus - the political argument Sun Jun 07 2020, 11:33

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Natasha Whittam wrote:

How many husbands do you have?
No husbands, just lots of uncles  Very Happy

600Coronavirus - the political argument - Page 30 Empty Re: Coronavirus - the political argument Sun Jun 07 2020, 11:35

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Sluffy wrote:

Happy Birthday for Sunday!

I don't know if this is any use to you or anyone else on here but I visit this BBC link everyday and put in my postcode and make a note as to the daily confirmed cases in my area.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274

By doing this it gives me an idea at least as to how things seem to be going at the present (or at least on assuming that it takes on average 5 days for symptoms to show - that's if you aren't one of those who are infected but show no symptoms - about as recently as five or so days ago).

I've been doing it for several weeks now and it has shown a steady decline over that time - so much so that there are even some days now were no new cases are being recorded - which has surprised me as I could see for myself that people had given up on lockdown weeks ago around here!

Of course it's not something I would want to bet my life on (which may well be the case if I did catch the virus badly) but it does give me a sense of proportion about the risk I'm taking as and when I go out and meet people / or choose not too.

Statistically the chances of catching the virus is small - and isolating yourself from everyone else makes it extremely hard to catch - but speaking for myself I don't wish to spend the rest of my life locked away in fear, so I simply try to work out the chances and get on with my life as much as I can.

I'm sure your daughters and their spouses wouldn't take any chances on inadvertently infecting you or your good wife, so enjoy your day with them.

:drinks:
Thanks Sluffy. They did ask about insurance policies recently  Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 30 of 31]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum