Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is This The Worst Bolton Team Ever?

+9
xmiles
Barryjw
Reebok Trotter
JonnyRandom
aaron_bwfc
gloswhite
CEF
Hipster_Nebula
Natasha Whittam
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Is This The Worst Bolton Team Ever? Empty Is This The Worst Bolton Team Ever? Sun Oct 07 2012, 12:43

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Personally I think Coyle has taken this club even further than Megson in terms of shiteness. I started following Bolton in the mid 80's when I was a child, but I cannot remember a Bolton team where so many players couldn't even do the basics.

I remember watching players like Julian Darby, Mark Winstanley, Trevor Morgan & Stuart Storer and thinking "this lot are pretty shit".

But is the truth that if Ngog, Mills, Knight, Mears etc had been born 25 years earlier and played in the same era as Storer, Darby etc that they wouldn't even have made it as professionals at any level?

So can you remember a worse team?

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It is in my time supporting the club for sure.

In terms of quality i think it's an all time low.

CEF

CEF
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Answer to the title is a resounding NO.

You can certainly say "Coyle has taken this club even further than Megson in terms of shiteness". Even if you believe we would have gone down the season Megson left, the fact is we were still a Prem team when he left.

As for your selected player comparisons - this is coming from someone who thought JJ was shit!!!

Try the early 80's for a truly shit BWFC team!!!!

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

CEF wrote:

As for your selected player comparisons - this is coming from someone who thought JJ was shit!!!

Try the early 80's for a truly shit BWFC team!!!!

I said Okocha was average and very much overrated.

Do you honestly think Mills and Knight are better defenders than Winstanley and Came?

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Nat, the players you mention did have the occasional good game, quite often scoring crucial goals. Always remember Trevor Morgan actually charging a defense aside, (and nothing delicate about it), straight on to goal and actually scoring. Wasn't bad for a guy his size and speed (slow/stop).It was a night game and we drew, but can't remember who we played. The important difference was that in those days were were usually pretty shit, but we tried. All we needed was one or two players that would make a difference.They arrived in the form of McCateer, (?) and such like.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Ever? No, but in my lifetime it's up there for sure.

I do still think we have a good squad for this league but it just comes down to how the manager sets the team up and an all time low on confidence which coyle is unable to get back IMO.

JonnyRandom

JonnyRandom
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Do think its the worst team but the worst manager, possibly. Our team on paper isn't that bad

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Holy shit some people have short memories. What about when we were managed by Phil Neal in the late eighties ( Division 3 ) Back then our average gates were less than 10,000 and our average position was about tenth.

Our current crop are much better than that.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Been there, seen that, have to agree with RT:D

10Is This The Worst Bolton Team Ever? Empty Re: Is This The Worst Bolton Team Ever? Sun Oct 07 2012, 13:24

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

After we got relegated from the first division under Ian Greaves the team went into freefall. We had bloody years of mediocrity with mediocre players and mediocre managers.

Todd and Rioch were the catalysts for our progress but it took years for us to banish the wilderness years.

11Is This The Worst Bolton Team Ever? Empty Re: Is This The Worst Bolton Team Ever? Sun Oct 07 2012, 13:28

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Days of do-or-die football, no time for finesse and mamby pamby prima donnas. Your presence really did make a difference to the team. In many ways, they were the good ole days, but it often tested your loyalty, and even sanity.

12Is This The Worst Bolton Team Ever? Empty Re: Is This The Worst Bolton Team Ever? Sun Oct 07 2012, 13:45

Barryjw

Barryjw
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

That shower that took us down to the 4th division after losing to Aldershot leaving Phil Neal in tears on the car park probably have it. As for managers Jimmy Meadows or Jimmy McIlroy take your pick.

13Is This The Worst Bolton Team Ever? Empty Re: Is This The Worst Bolton Team Ever? Sun Oct 07 2012, 14:05

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Stan Anderson who took over from Greavsie was dire.

14Is This The Worst Bolton Team Ever? Empty Re: Is This The Worst Bolton Team Ever? Sun Oct 07 2012, 15:34

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

No, for the reasons some of the older posters have already outlined. However if Coyle is allowed to carry on much longer he may well become the worst manager we have ever had. In recent memory Lee was worse but he was removed fairly quickly. The problem we have with Coyle is that the longer he stays the more damage he does. His blatant favouritism (Mears, Knight, SKD, etc) and insane transfer policy (buy players and never use them) are not helping us at all.

15Is This The Worst Bolton Team Ever? Empty Re: Is This The Worst Bolton Team Ever? Sun Oct 07 2012, 21:50

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

We could easily be in division one again next year ...... the quality currently is poor but with few tweaks we can still be a decent Champs team.

xmiles .... has it correct.

16Is This The Worst Bolton Team Ever? Empty Re: Is This The Worst Bolton Team Ever? Mon Oct 08 2012, 11:21

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If you think this is bad just ask any of us old timers. Boy have we suffered some shite in the past. I'm talking about real, humiliatingly bad shite.

Relegation to the bottom flight - now that was a dire season. It took being a Wanderers fan to a new level and I remember spending most of the season laughing at just how bad we were.

Shame some of our fans today haven't learned to laugh at the Wanderers as we did - and I occasionally still do.

It's times like this that we need reminding of how bad things can really get.

17Is This The Worst Bolton Team Ever? Empty Re: Is This The Worst Bolton Team Ever? Mon Oct 08 2012, 12:01

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:If you think this is bad just ask any of us old timers. Boy have we suffered some shite in the past. I'm talking about real, humiliatingly bad shite.

Relegation to the bottom flight - now that was a dire season. It took being a Wanderers fan to a new level and I remember spending most of the season laughing at just how bad we were.

Shame some of our fans today haven't learned to laugh at the Wanderers as we did - and I occasionally still do.

Nail on the head.

18Is This The Worst Bolton Team Ever? Empty Re: Is This The Worst Bolton Team Ever? Mon Oct 08 2012, 12:34

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Reebok Trotter wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

Nail on the head.

I often find myself laughing at Coyle if that's what you mean? Very Happy

19Is This The Worst Bolton Team Ever? Empty Re: Is This The Worst Bolton Team Ever? Mon Oct 08 2012, 15:51

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If you don't laugh you'll cry sometimes.

20Is This The Worst Bolton Team Ever? Empty Re: Is This The Worst Bolton Team Ever? Mon Oct 08 2012, 21:46

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Barryjw wrote: As for managers Jimmy Meadows or Jimmy McIlroy take your pick.

How very dare you, using Jimmy McIlroy's name in a thread like this.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum