Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bonce's own personal thread. Volume IX

+12
Sluffy
okocha
Natasha Whittam
Ten Bobsworth
boltonbonce
wanderlust
Cajunboy
BoltonTillIDie
gloswhite
Bwfc1958
Boggersbelief
Hip Priest
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 44 ... 50  Next

Go down  Message [Page 38 of 50]

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:Just been round to put a clothes airer together for mum. Twenty minutes it should take, according to the instructions.
Two bloody hours later, I'd finished it. I've had to lie down for an hour.
Self assembly my arse.
Never mind that - we're all on the edge of our seats waiting for the next instalment of Shirtgate.

Did you press them for an answer?
Did they respond or button it?
Did you collar the culprits?
Was it ironed out in the end?

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:
Never mind that - we're all on the edge of our seats waiting for the next instalment of Shirtgate.

Did you press them for an answer?
Did they respond or button it?
Did you collar the culprits?
Was it ironed out in the end?
Well. They've agreed to resend my order. Unfortunately, they've run out of medium away shirts, so the lad will have to have the large. The bugger can grow into it.
I'm a bit concerned that they'll use DHL again, so I'm not counting my chickens.
I'll update further if, or when, they arrive.

Bonce out.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:
karlypants wrote:
Did you bother to look at the instructions? Very Happy
Yes. Crying or Very sad
Bonce's own personal thread. Volume IX - Page 38 Img_2815
Crikey! A lot going on there just for a clothes dryer. Shocked

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

That's just page 1.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Anyone remember Eno's?
It was a sort of antacid, rather like Andrews liver salts. Can you still get it?
Our bathroom cabinet used to be filled with this sort of stuff.

Andrews, Alka Seltzer, Calamine lotion, Optrex, Ex-Lax, Nasal spray, Earex, Valderma, Germoloids, and various other less well known items.
Was this normal for you, or did my dad have a few issues?

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Why was Nat at number 10?

Bonce's own personal thread. Volume IX - Page 38 79144710

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Could be they are your missing shirts?

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:That's just page 1.
Pretty sure that's page 3 on account of it saying "page 3".

TBF I've seen more straightforward images on Page 3 before now and they were all pre-screwed.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:
Pretty sure that's page 3 on account of it saying "page 3".

TBF I've seen more straightforward images on Page 3 before now and they were all pre-screwed.
Page 3?

I knew something was up. Maybe that's why it took so long. What a Face

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:Anyone remember Eno's?
It was a sort of antacid, rather like Andrews liver salts. Can you still get it?
Our bathroom cabinet used to be filled with this sort of stuff.

Andrews, Alka Seltzer, Calamine lotion, Optrex, Ex-Lax, Nasal spray, Earex, Valderma, Germoloids, and various other less well known items.
Was this normal for you, or did my dad have a few issues?
All the above.
My nan also had Potter's Asthma Remedy even though she didn't have asthma. I later discovered Potter's was a hallucinogen which explains plenty as she was lovely but bonkers.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:
All the above.
My nan also had Potter's Asthma Remedy even though she didn't have asthma. I later discovered Potter's was a hallucinogen which explains plenty as she was lovely but bonkers.
I also remember Vicks VapoRub, and powdered toothpaste, which I hated.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

A tin of Germolene, lint, cotton wool, gauze, a roll of bandage and small pair of scissors, a box of plasters and a tube of golden eye ointment for when you got a powk (as I knew them for those who don't know that word it is more commonly known as a stye).  Also my fathers cut throat razor and a tub of Vic to rub on your chest just before bedtime if you had a cold.

As well there was a bottle of Dettol on the bathroom windowsill that had a dual use as something to dab on cuts and grazes (it didn't half sting!) AND poured into the bath on bath night (a real man's smell, eh!).

Also a shaving mirror and my brothers brush and comb set (do any blokes use a brush on their hair these days) and his tub of Brylcreem (do anyone still use that either?).  

Finally everyone's tooth brushes in a toothbrush holder and Euthymol tooth paste because booth my parents smoked.

And to top it all off a block of Fairy Soap,

That was a time when men were real men!

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Not heard the word 'powk' for a long time, Sluffy. We used to suffer from them regularly, but they seemed to disappear on their own.
Never heard of nut allergies back then either, unless they just weren't recognised.
As for Dettol, we used to put a capful or three in our bathwater. What a brilliant smell. Takes me back in time in an instant.
Fairy soap mum always kept under the sink. She used it on our filthy shirt collars.
Brylcream was dad's luxury. He was virtually bald, but insisted that what he had he'd treat well. Became something of a family joke.
That being said, he had a fine head of skin.
Funny how many memories some items trigger.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I was thinking when I was writing about powk's that I've never known anyone to have suffered from them for years and years now - I wonder if they were somehow connected to the smokey environment we used to live in back then???

Fairy soap was used for everything back then in my home, from washing your hands, having a bath or  rubbing on shirt collars before washing - we had a boiler a dolly tub and a mangle in the kitchen but I don't remember mam using them really but I do remember when she got her very first washing machine and those wooden washing tong she had to use to get the clothes of of the machine!

Something like these...

Bonce's own personal thread. Volume IX - Page 38 Image00217

Happy days but they must have been damned hard for people back then!

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Oh my god! Mum had the same tongs. 
Before she made the leap to a washing machine she had a boiler. It had a little tap on the side and got seriously hot when it was going.
She'd use the tongs to get the washing out and into the sink, ready to be put through the mangle. My mangle turning skills were much in demand.
She later progressed to a twin tub, but the mangle still got plenty of use. My brother and I used to put our sandwiches through it. No idea why.
Bonce's own personal thread. Volume IX - Page 38 9k=

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Yes I suspect the tongs were used on our clothes boiler before my mam got her first washing machine.

We weren't rich enough for fancy twin tubs!

I had forgotten though that we did have a spinning machine that stood alone from the washing machine and we had to put the washing up bowl down at the back of the spinner to collect the water from the spout at the back.

The clothes all were hung out to try in the back yard and bed sheets on the lines of the back to back row of houses we lived in.

Monday was always washing day - used to take my mam the best part of the day too I guess although I was to busy being a child and playing out to notice much.

God bless her, and dad too!

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:Yes I suspect the tongs were used on our clothes boiler before my mam got her first washing machine.

We weren't rich enough for fancy twin tubs!

I had forgotten though that we did have a spinning machine that stood alone from the washing machine and we had to put the washing up bowl down at the back of the spinner to collect the water from the spout at the back.

The clothes all were hung out to try in the back yard and bed sheets on the lines of the back to back row of houses we lived in.

Monday was always washing day - used to take my mam the best part of the day too I guess although I was to busy being a child and playing out to notice much.

God bless her, and dad too!

I've been passing this picture around today.
Bonce's own personal thread. Volume IX - Page 38 _126614037_8ccf1bd71f58c0b230cde3862a53cdb138dc5f77

Basically, because it's my mum. Mum isn't the Queen you understand, but she's her double. She's even dressed like mum in this picture. It's scary. Maybe mum could make a few bob as a stunt double.
Makes me laugh though. It's an uncanny resemblance.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Why are they bringing this up again?

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/21023372.ex-bolton-wanderers-boss-colin-todds-memories-reebok-stadiums-first-night/

If they start talking about you know who, I won't be responsible for my actions.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Speaking of tongs, mum used to stir the washing with what she called a ponce. Not sure you can say that now.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:Speaking of tongs, mum used to stir the washing with what she called a ponce. Not sure you can say that now.
Funny word "ponce".

In English it originally meant a pimp.
Pimps dressed in flamboyant clothes so via that route it developed connotations with homosexuals - which pimps seldom were.
Pimps also leeched off hookers and via that route it developed connotations of getting something for free e.g. poncing a fag off someone.

It's also a city in Puerto Rico.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 38 of 50]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 44 ... 50  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum