Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

MJ Williams: "I know for a fact that all the boys want to be here"

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

MJ Williams: "I know for a fact that all the boys want to be here"  13664480

MJ Williams believes it is vital that Wanderers hold their squad together this summer if they are to make a concerted promotion push next season.

Ian Evatt’s side has finished with a flourish, with only MK Dons able to match the 32 points they have taken since mid-January. And though it has not quite been enough to get Bolton into the top six, there are high hopes within the club that next season will be a different story.

Williams hopes that the likes of Dapo Afolayan and Ricardo Santos – who have both attracted attention from clubs in the Championship over the last few months - will stay at the UniBol to help Wanderers push forward.

“We want to build and I am sure we can,” said the midfielder, whose late goal earned a point against play-off chasing Sheffield Wednesday. “I know for a fact that all the boys want to be here and that they are committed to this club.

“Next season we have to stay together. Since Christmas we have shown signs of where we are going but I think at the start there were good signs as well. Next season we can have a right go.”

Wanderers lost ground in October, November and December, having seen a thin squad ravaged by injuries and illness.

In fact, between their first meeting with Wednesday – a 1-0 defeat at Hillsborough – and the January 15 victory against Ipswich Town, they took just nine points from 15 games, fewer than anyone else in the division.

Finishing in the top 10 is now Bolton’s aim and Williams feels optimistic about the future.

“We want to finish strong,” he said. “Our target is to win the four games and go into next season strong.

“I think we have a massive chance and we showed this season at times how good we can be.

“Before Christmas the injuries and the Covid set us back but I think we have lost three games since we came back – so that shows something.

“Next season we have to start winning the big games and then we can be in a good place.”

Wanderers have often struggled against the more direct and physical sides in the division and Williams feels that finding a way to counteract those strengths will be key to any improvement next season.

“I think we can get smarter in that,” he said. “We are a good footballing side and when we went to Burton and places like that we knew what was coming but we have to tighten up.

“We can be better and we have shown at times that we can match that type of team.

“We have had some good results against some of the top teams and especially when we are at home, we are a match for anyone. Next season we have to be on it, and we’ll do well.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum