Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Shares

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Shares  Empty Shares Mon Sep 26 2022, 22:45

Mad Dog

Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

Anyone interested in shares and have money invested in shares? If so are you doing well in them and what companies are you invested in?

2Shares  Empty Re: Shares Mon Sep 26 2022, 22:55

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Mad Dog wrote:Anyone interested in shares and have money invested in shares? If so are you doing well in them and what companies are you invested in?
I dabble a bit MD, have done for years but tend to invest for income now, although the way prices are going I’m not so sure? Oilers are doing well, house builders not. Most people do invest in the stock market through their pensions but unlike in the USA comparatively few invest individually.

Do you invest and what sectors or companies do you like?

3Shares  Empty Re: Shares Mon Sep 26 2022, 23:05

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I invested in this. Crying or Very sad

Shares  BnTRLzuCMAAsPVA?format=jpg&name=large

4Shares  Empty Re: Shares Mon Sep 26 2022, 23:17

Mad Dog

Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

Whitesince63 wrote:
I dabble a bit MD, have done for years but tend to invest for income now, although the way prices are going I’m not so sure? Oilers are doing well, house builders not. Most people do invest in the stock market through their pensions but unlike in the USA comparatively few invest individually.

Do you invest and what sectors or companies do you like?
I had a terrible experience years ago with investing in an oil company - Afren. Lost a big amount when they went from a really progressive growing company to going bust. My own fault for investing in something I didn’t really know well enough. 
I am very keen in investing in shares, I feel you have to make your money make money, although I understand it is a risk when investing in shares. Nowadays I only really invest in two company’s which I know very well and have huge confidence in. Aviva and Flutter. Aviva is a fantastic share, the dividends are so impressive, 30p per share this year and the share price is always floating around £3.80 to £4.60. Can do some good trading between those prices, they are super strong company. 
Flutter is my other favourite. A lot won’t touch them as it’s a gambling stock but I love gambling and know the market inside out. 
Flutter is trading at £100 a share, they are an incredibly well run company in a thriving and growing market. I feel that this share is sitting at the lower end of its range right now. 
If only Putin would disappear so that the world can start moving forwards and cost of living crisis eased, share prices will really take off.

5Shares  Empty Re: Shares Tue Sep 27 2022, 01:05

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Generally speaking, the market has struggled for a while now and there's always the temptation to stick your money into other stuff like gold or bricks and mortar but most older people like me (and White I suspect) tend to go for security with a balanced portfolio working on the theory that if one economy struggles then another will rise - but globally that hasn't been the case lately. With investments, you have to stick with them for the long haul and just hope they turn around.
At my age I don't gamble on one off share offerings - it's a lottery.

6Shares  Empty Re: Shares Tue Sep 27 2022, 10:51

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

wanderlust wrote:Generally speaking, the market has struggled for a while now and there's always the temptation to stick your money into other stuff like gold or bricks and mortar but most older people like me (and White I suspect) tend to go for security with a balanced portfolio working on the theory that if one economy struggles then another will rise - but globally that hasn't been the case lately. With investments, you have to stick with them for the long haul and just hope they turn around.
At my age I don't gamble on one off share offerings - it's a lottery.
You’re right Lusty, I stick to relatively safe blue chips, although it cost me big time with the financial stocks in the credit crunch!! I don’t “gamble” on shares and try to adhere to the Warren Buffet principle on sticking to well run companies with defensive properties. Actually Mad Dog, Aviva is one of my holdings and like you I consider it relatively safe, similarly Phoenix. 

I am though looking at House Builders at the moment who’s shares are getting hammered just now. I like Persimmon and Taylor Wimpey but I still think they have further to fall yet before Buffets “buy when there’s blood on the streets” comes to pass. You can never know where the bottom is but long term they are pretty much a no brainer even if they do fall a bit further after you buy. So I’ll “be greedy when others are fearful” as Buffet also says, at some point soon. 

I don’t do share tips, certainly not qualified to but one that might be worth a look for a cheeky punt just now is a Manchester company called Nanoco (nano). DYOR of course.

7Shares  Empty Re: Shares Tue Sep 27 2022, 13:55

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Whitesince63 wrote:

I don’t do share tips, certainly not qualified to but one that might be worth a look for a cheeky punt just now is a Manchester company called Nanoco (nano). DYOR of course.
Before anyone piles in, it should be noted that Nano are currently suing Samsung for patent infringement which is coming to a head next week in the USA.
The current share price is inflated due to people gambling on the outcome - price has risen 11% in a month as the trial date nears. If we'd bought in in August we could bail now and make a killing so the boat may have been missed.

If they win, happy days but if they lose, the opposite will occur, however, Samsung would probably appeal  and this could drag on for years. Investors that got in early (years ago) would hang on as they have little to lose but folk buying in now are gambling big time IMO - but the potential rewards from a settlement are massive.

Even if Samsung appeal, the share price could rocket. But Nano have to win next week.

8Shares  Empty Re: Shares Tue Sep 27 2022, 16:34

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

wanderlust wrote:
Before anyone piles in, it should be noted that Nano are currently suing Samsung for patent infringement which is coming to a head next week in the USA.
The current share price is inflated due to people gambling on the outcome - price has risen 11% in a month as the trial date nears. If we'd bought in in August we could bail now and make a killing so the boat may have been missed.

If they win, happy days but if they lose, the opposite will occur, however, Samsung would probably appeal  and this could drag on for years. Investors that got in early (years ago) would hang on as they have little to lose but folk buying in now are gambling big time IMO - but the potential rewards from a settlement are massive.

Even if Samsung appeal, the share price could rocket. But Nano have to win next week.
I’ve been invested in Nano for many years now and during that time it’s had ups and downs, mainly downs. But their technology isn’t in doubt, which is why Samsung stole it and they did steal it. The seeding process for producing the QD’s is unique to Nano and they are the only company in the world whose dots are Cadmium free. This is important as Cadmium is highly toxic and will at some point be banned.

After a 7 year partnership between Nano, Samsung and Dow Chemical, and just as they were gearing up for production and licensing, Samsung walked away and basically started producing the dots themselves. Now a large and respected US legal firm have agreed to a no win no fee deal with Nano to sue Samsung in Texas. 

Samsung have a long history of this type of behaviour and treatment of small firms and recently lost a similar trial to a company over their phone casing. They also had a long dual with Apple and their top guy is currently in jail on fraud charges!! This trial relates only to the US and if successful would be only the first of many. 

Prior to the full trial the patents had to appear before Patent Trial Appeal Board (PTAB) and every one of the 47 items within the 5 patents were awarded to Nano. It’s hard to see how Samsung stand a chance but in law you never know? As far as appeals go, there is a 12 months maximum so Samsung can’t drag it out Lusty. Nano and their solicitors have already begun action in Germany following the US trial so they must be confident. It’s a risk clearly but the odds are very definitely with Nano I’d say?

9Shares  Empty Re: Shares Tue Sep 27 2022, 18:37

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Whitesince63 wrote:
I’ve been invested in Nano for many years now and during that time it’s had ups and downs, mainly downs. But their technology isn’t in doubt, which is why Samsung stole it and they did steal it. The seeding process for producing the QD’s is unique to Nano and they are the only company in the world whose dots are Cadmium free. This is important as Cadmium is highly toxic and will at some point be banned.

After a 7 year partnership between Nano, Samsung and Dow Chemical, and just as they were gearing up for production and licensing, Samsung walked away and basically started producing the dots themselves. Now a large and respected US legal firm have agreed to a no win no fee deal with Nano to sue Samsung in Texas. 

Samsung have a long history of this type of behaviour and treatment of small firms and recently lost a similar trial to a company over their phone casing. They also had a long dual with Apple and their top guy is currently in jail on fraud charges!! This trial relates only to the US and if successful would be only the first of many. 

Prior to the full trial the patents had to appear before Patent Trial Appeal Board (PTAB) and every one of the 47 items within the 5 patents were awarded to Nano. It’s hard to see how Samsung stand a chance but in law you never know? As far as appeals go, there is a 12 months maximum so Samsung can’t drag it out Lusty. Nano and their solicitors have already begun action in Germany following the US trial so they must be confident. It’s a risk clearly but the odds are very definitely with Nano I’d say?
Out of interest, what was their share price when you bought in?

10Shares  Empty Re: Shares Tue Sep 27 2022, 20:01

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Well the SP has been everywhere between 180p and single pennies. Currently I’m around 51p so pretty much up with events. It’s the green QD’s that are the big plus for Nano as their process is uniques and the dots are so much brighter. Of course as you say, if Samsung defend their position the Nano SP will fall back again, as it has numerous times whilst Ive been holding but the technology is so good and will be more relevant in future in so many areas, not just tv screens, that I think Samsung or not Nanos future looks good. Like I said originally, it’s a punt but one where I think the odds are with you. I’ve been disappointed so many times Lusty that if it fails again the shares will once again go in the bottom drawer!! 🥴

11Shares  Empty Re: Shares Wed Sep 28 2022, 16:49

Mad Dog

Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

Isn’t it a bit of a concern that the Directors have been selling a lot of their shares in recent months at the current share price? If they were confident of a good outcome surely they wouldn’t sell at the current price.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum