Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bonce's own personal thread. Volume X

+8
okocha
Natasha Whittam
boltonbonce
karlypants
Norpig
BoltonTillIDie
Sluffy
Ten Bobsworth
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 41 ... 50  Next

Go down  Message [Page 32 of 50]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I still think of them as flour cakes, even now!

My first job after leaving school was in Leigh and I had absolutely no idea what they were talking about when they ask me if I wanted them to pick me up a barm cake at dinner time (note we were talking dinner and tea times back then - not lunch and dinner as it now seems to be).

(PS have you not noticed I've gone back and renumbered your thread - currently volume 10!)

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:I still think of them as flour cakes, even now!

My first job after leaving school was in Leigh and I had absolutely no idea what they were talking about when they ask me if I wanted them to pick me up a barm cake at dinner time (note we were talking dinner and tea times back then - not lunch and dinner as it now seems to be).
I haven't used flour cakes in a long time. Strange how words disappear.
As a kid, if it was very cold it was always 'fleeing'. Never use the term now.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Always barm cakes in Bolton. Flour cakes is a southern suburb thing - possibly Manc or Scouse in origin. Or Irish Catholic.

Bonce's own personal thread. Volume X - Page 32 B1a7l9zCQAA7OSC

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Always Barm Cakes in Bolton - utter bollocks it was!!!

Even Bonce remembers them as FLOOR CAKES.

As for 'southern suburb', what are you talking about?

I'm a Halliwell boy, NORTH BOLTON

Carr's Pasties started on Halliwell Road, NORTH BOLTON and the man who is the owner and third generation of the Carr family dynasty knows them as FLOUR CAKES, ffs!!!

Are Bonce, his mam, the Carr family, and myself not from Bolton then???

You just just made all that up.

Weirdo.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

FLOOR CAKES? Shocked Very Happy

Anyway call them whatever you guys want as it's still shit produced by Warbies that's overpriced!

I remember having their Warbies toastie not so long back as I fancied some and hadn't had it in ages.

Once toasted I got the salted butter out and lovingly spread it on it to then bite into it and it tasted like card. Absolutely tasteless. It must have been that frigged about with in their factory that all the yumminess had gone out of it.

I'm now more into the seeded bloomers and the like as it simply has more flavour in it.

It never used to be like that when I was a lad!

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Still love the toastie loaf KP, Its sacrilege to slag off Warbies in Bolton  Very Happy

I did stop eating it for a while as my brother worked for them for years as a driver. He had one little crash, nobody hurt, just a little bump and they sacked him! My Dad worked for them for years as a driver for years as well.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Worked at Warbies as a regular summer job back in the 70s and having seen want went on there haven't touched their bread since despite Hollywood's best efforts.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:Worked at Warbies as a regular summer job back in the 70s and having seen want went on there haven't touched their bread since despite Hollywood's best efforts.
My mate got a job in the factory a few years ago and said the same thing, he lasted about 2 weeks and jacked it in!

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Barms, flour cakes, oven bottom muffins, all seem to be lumped together these days. Flour cakes had a smell and texture of their own, and, for whatever reason, I just can't get anything close to what I remember. Maybe I'm just getting old.
Someone with more knowledge might put me right, but I've been told that bread is no longer baked, but steamed, hence no longer being able to get a loaf with a proper crust.
Breaders, get on here and let us know.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:
My mate got a job in the factory a few years ago and said the same thing, he lasted about 2 weeks and jacked it in!
I could tell you a lot of stories about working there - and to be fair it was a laugh - but the amount of snot and jizz in those loaves put me right off.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:
I could tell you a lot of stories about working there - and to be fair it was a laugh - but the amount of snot and jizz in those loaves put me right off.
Thank Christ you didn't work for Carrs. I'd need therapy. Shocked

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:the amount of jizz in those loaves put me right off.

Those bloody masterbakers have been at it again! Very Happy

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:

Those bloody masterbakers have been at it again! Very Happy
Razz

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

John Carr, at Carrs Pasties, said: 'Back in my day we called them flour cakes, but nowadays the most popular term around Bolton and parts of the North West is barm cake.'

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

At the risk of being ostracised, I have to say that I think Carrs pasties are completely overrated.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

finlaymcdanger wrote:At the risk of being ostracised, I have to say that I think Carrs pasties are completely overrated.
Given the choice it would be Ye Olde, but I can't get them down here. Can't survive without my Carrs pasties though.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

finlaymcdanger wrote:At the risk of being ostracised, I have to say that I think Carrs pasties are completely overrated.

I will sound very old now but they aren't as good as they used to be. I used to live near the shop on Halliwell road as a kid and had them regularly and loved them. Not sure they are made the same way now?

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

This surely needs a thread of it's own...

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:

I will sound very old now but they aren't as good as they used to be. I used to live near the shop on Halliwell road as a kid and had them regularly and loved them. Not sure they are made the same way now?
I have to get them in bulk, and frozen, so I sometimes put the taste difference down to that. The fresh ones I've had from Leigh or Walkden, have a definite taste difference, but not one that puts me off.
If anyone wants a shit pasty, it's Ginsters all day long.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Worrying times.

Bonce's own personal thread. Volume X - Page 32 Img_4211

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 32 of 50]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 41 ... 50  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum