Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bonce's own personal thread. Volume X

+8
okocha
Natasha Whittam
boltonbonce
karlypants
Norpig
BoltonTillIDie
Sluffy
Ten Bobsworth
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 41 ... 50  Next

Go down  Message [Page 33 of 50]

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

NO! And I'll fight any man/woman who says different.

Bonce's own personal thread. Volume X - Page 33 Img_4212

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:John Carr, at Carrs Pasties, said: 'Back in my day we called them flour cakes, but nowadays the most popular term around Bolton and parts of the North West is barm cake.'
Back in his day? What's that - the 1970's?

Carrs wasn't even thought of when my great granny - who always called them barm cakes - was a married woman in the First World War. She was born in the 19th century and everyone in Bolton called them barm cakes back then.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I came back from the shop one day when I was about ten with a bag of five barm cakes, only to be told by my mum I'd bought the wrong things. She said she'd asked me to get flour cakes, not barm cakes.
I was confused. I thought they were all the same.
Even now, at 93, she insists there's a difference.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:John Carr, at Carrs Pasties, said: 'Back in my day we called them flour cakes, but nowadays the most popular term around Bolton and parts of the North West is barm cake.'
Back in his day? What's that - the 1970's?

Carrs wasn't even thought of when my great granny - who always called them barm cakes - was a married woman in the First World War. She was born in the 19th century and everyone in Bolton called them barm cakes back then.

Well my granny called them flour cakes and her husband, my grandad served in the First World War and lost two of his brothers in it as well - their names are on the memorial in Queens Park.

As a little boy I remember getting dragged down there to pay our respects to them on Remembrance Sunday.

(Probably had something on floor cakes when we went back to grandad and grandma's afterwards!).

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:I came back from the shop one day when I was about ten with a bag of five barm cakes, only to be told by my mum I'd bought the wrong things. She said she'd asked me to get flour cakes, not barm cakes.
I was confused. I thought they were all the same.
Even now, at 93, she insists there's a difference.
Technically there is. 
Barm is yeast that's specifically been used for brewing ale although some define it as the frothy yeast on top of ale or malt liquor brewing.
I doubt Warby's use the real thing - but in 2014 they conducted a brief survey in Bolton to find out what local folk call "a roll" and two thirds call it a barm with the other third split between a number of terms.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:
Technically there is. 
Barm is yeast that's specifically been used for brewing ale although some define it as the frothy yeast on top of ale or malt liquor brewing.
I doubt Warby's use the real thing - but in 2014 they conducted a brief survey in Bolton to find out what local folk call "a roll" and two thirds call it a barm with the other third split between a number of terms.
Oven bottom muffins only muddied the waters. Bastards.

Cajunboy

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I always called them flour cakes. ( when we had good local bakers)

So many barms are bloody awful.

I always have fond memories of being taken on a school trip to a Warburtons factory when I was about 8 years old, and we all got a free large white sliced loaf to take home.

I just hope it tasted better than much of Warburtons output nowadays.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:
Oven bottom muffins only muddied the waters. Bastards.
Used to make them. Basically they put the dough on the tray and another tray on top so it bakes between two trays.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:
Used to make them. Basically they put the dough on the tray and another tray on top so it bakes between two trays.
Interesting. Great for toasting I find.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bonce's own personal thread. Volume X - Page 33 1

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Something you might be interested Bonce…

Here

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

After you'd worn them for the day, you could have them buttered for supper. :sick:

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:After you'd worn them for the day, you could have them buttered for supper. :sick:

Very Happy Very Happy

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

boltonbonce wrote:Bonce's own personal thread. Volume X - Page 33 1

I'm surprised that nobody else got this...

Congratulations on 30,000 posts!

Consider your thread retitled to the correct volume number as my show of respect for you!

:clap:

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:

I'm surprised that nobody else got this...

Congratulations on 30,000 posts!

Consider your thread retitled to the correct volume number as my show of respect for you!

:clap:

Thanks Sluffy, appreciate that.
Ten years, and 30.000 posts. I was supposed to be doing the garden.
Every DIY task I've failed to complete I'm blaming on Nuts and my fellow Nutters for keeping me thoroughly entertained.
Despite the arguments, I still find Nuts my first port of call every morning, and, as strange a bunch as we are. we're probably more alike than some of us would like to admit.
And a big thanks to everyone for putting up with my nonsense. It can't have been easy.
Another 30,000 posts? Maybe.
You lucky people. Very Happy

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Congratulations Boncey! :number1: :drinks: :party:

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Well done Boncey, a great achievement!

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:Well done Boncey, a great achievement!
I'm glad you think so. Very Happy
You might like to know that, ten minutes ago, as I waited for the kettle to boil, I decided to try a moonwalk. (What 70 year old wouldn't?)
This resulted in me falling over backwards, and banging my head on the kitchen table.

No damage done, to head or table, but I fear I may have to reevaluate some of my life choices as I head into an uncertain future.

My slippers, and the floor were perfect, so I can only blame myself. Do I have another go? I'll let you know.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:
Norpig wrote:Well done Boncey, a great achievement!
I'm glad you think so. Very Happy
You might like to know that, ten minutes ago, as I waited for the kettle to boil, I decided to try a moonwalk. (What 70 year old wouldn't?)
This resulted in me falling over backwards, and banging my head on the kitchen table.

No damage done, to head or table, but I fear I may have to reevaluate some of my life choices as I head into an uncertain future.

My slippers, and the floor were perfect, so I can only blame myself. Do I have another go? I'll let you know.

How are you now feeling? It may have knocked some sense in to you! Very Happy

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Bonce, we'd all miss you, your witty posts and good humour. Take care. 

Yours are the first comments I turn to when I log on, knowing it will be worth it....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 33 of 50]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 41 ... 50  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum