Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Trouble in France!

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Trouble in France! Empty Trouble in France! Thu Mar 16 2023, 16:49

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Protesters on the streets again - nothing new there - but this time it is different.

The issue is, the proposed increase of retirement age from 62 to 64.

Why raise the retirement age at all?

Well in simple terms, people in work fund via their taxes, the state's pension scheme - and in a nutshell, with more people living longer and people over the years having less children (to become the future employed workforce there simply isn't enough taxes that will come in, in the near future, to fund everyone's pensions in full anymore..

The French always seem to be a bit bolshie anyway, and they certainly aren't wanting to work another two years if they can avoid it at all.

It is a big vote loser, so all the opposition parties don't want to be seen to vote for the rise - and presumably a number of French MP's in the government party won't vote for it either!

The government has been forced to use special powers to bring the age rise into law without the need for a vote in their parliament (which they would have lost) using a constitutional procedure known as 49:3 - that's why many of the protestors have bedsheets with Evans Out 49:3 on them.

The opposition are now able to bring about a vote of no confidence in the government if they so wish.

I assume the government has the majority to win it but I suspect France is in for a long summer of strikes and protests yet again.

God forbid they end up with a Le Pen government!

2Trouble in France! Empty Re: Trouble in France! Fri Mar 17 2023, 11:14

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We should be more like the French and kick off about things instead of just tutting and getting on with it  Very Happy

3Trouble in France! Empty Re: Trouble in France! Fri Mar 17 2023, 11:39

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:We should be more like the French and kick off about things instead of just tutting and getting on with it  Very Happy
I agree. Pensioners in particular, are quite passive in the modern world, but as those who came through the second world war die off, they're going to be replaced by tech savvy, internet literate, old gits like me, who will kick off at the drop of a hat.
Pensioners v riot police. Be there, or be square.

4Trouble in France! Empty Re: Trouble in France! Thu Mar 23 2023, 16:24

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The French are kicking off big time at the moment! 800,000 people on the streets of Paris protesting.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum