Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sunderland player refuses to wear a poppy

+5
xmiles
Reebok Trotter
Hipster_Nebula
gloswhite
rammywhite
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Reports say that McClean- a Sunderland player refused to wear a poppy on his shirt yesterday.
Does anyone have strong views for or against this sort of attitude?
He makes a damn good living out of the thousands of Sunderland supporters who support his team. A lot of them are in Afghanistan- they faced danger and death today, as they did yesterday and as they will tomorrow.
Although he was within his rights- its a free country- was he right?

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I dont like it, but there are two points I thought of. The first is that I don't know why he thought what he did, , and the second is that he is entitled to his opinion but he should maybe think that it was because of the sacrifices those people made that he can enjoy the lifestyle and freedom to do what he wants. I wouldn't make a big fuss of it, in fact, I would do the opposite and ignore him and his, in my view, ignorant response.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I was reading apparently "the army killed 15 people in his neighbourhood"

I assume this was during the "troubles"

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It shows a distinct lack of respect to those who fought and lost their lives so that we could live in freedom. I don't know the reason why McClean refused to wear the poppy so I wont call him a cnut just yet. He may have converted to Islam, who knows ?

Argentinian and Germans wore poppies on their shirts this weekend, but people shouldn't be forced to wear poppies.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

I hate this mania for wearing poppies and the immense pressure on anyone in the media to wear a poppy. Some people started flaunting their poppies weeks ago. I have no problem with people wearing poppies and I have complete respect for all those who have given their lives defending our country but it should be a matter of choice whether or not you wear a poppy.

I don't know why McClean refused to wear a poppy but the coverage suggests it's because he is an IRA sympathiser in which case I hope he fucks off and dies.

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

The fucking bog trotter.

Too many of these tossers like him treat the Poppy as some kind of political symbol when it's not.
Last time I looked Sunderland was in England and no doubt thousands of Mackems died in the two World Wars stopping the Germans from waltzing into this country, where he makes a good living.

No doubt he would prefer to be paid in Deutsch marks or earning tuppence playing for Limerick or some other team.

No one should be forced to wear a poppy, but don't treat it as a political symbol.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Until we know why he didn't wear one then I won't comment, if his views and beliefs are strong then it's his decision at the end of the day.

My cousin is in the army and has been to afghan, done things that he wouldn't even talk about. IMO you don't need to wear a poppy to show your support, I am very proud of my cousin of what he has been through and can't imagine what he has seen.

We don't know what Mclean has been through but he must have his own reasons for not wearing a poppy.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Slightly off topic, did anyone see Jurgen Klinsmann watching the Everton v Sunderland game ? My first thought was that Jerry might be after the Leprechauns job.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

aaron_bwfc wrote:Until we know why he didn't wear one then I won't comment, if his views and beliefs are strong then it's his decision at the end of the day.

My cousin is in the army and has been to afghan, done things that he wouldn't even talk about. IMO you don't need to wear a poppy to show your support, I am very proud of my cousin of what he has been through and can't imagine what he has seen.

We don't know what Mclean has been through but he must have his own reasons for not wearing a poppy.

It was because 15 people were killed by the army in "his neighbourhood"

Lyric Todkill

Lyric Todkill
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Our chaps fought to preserve his right for freedom and free speech

that said, thousands of Irish died in the wars, so he is being a dick

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I may have been harsh on the lad. Some good reading on the Newcastle board in the link (post 10 and after). If he wasn't wearing one for fear of trouble towards his family then he does right.

http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=386&fid=185&sty=2&act=1&mid=2113802940

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Can a non burnley fan post that link please so i can click on it?

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Can a non burnley fan post that link please so i can click on it?

???

The link is genuine and takes you to the Newcastle 'Mad' forum.

I'll voucher for Copper Draggon being a genuine poster if that is your concern?

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

The link does have some interesting comments. However it is sad that some Irish Catholics are so bigoted that they oppose wearing poppies because they misunderstand the point. It's not to support the British army but to commemorate those who have died in the line of duty.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:Can a non burnley fan post that link please so i can click on it?

???

The link is genuine and takes you to the Newcastle 'Mad' forum.

I'll voucher for Copper Draggon being a genuine poster if that is your concern?

sluff I'm joking.

I like Copper Dragon. All my comments in regards to copper are jokes.

:soz:

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Ah!

Missed the joke completely.

Sorry.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum