Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Coyle's best signings... players he has left us with.

+8
Sgt. Bash
Hipster_Nebula
JonnyRandom
bwfc71
aaron_bwfc
Lofty_Love
Sluffy
Banks of the Croal
12 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I'll go for Eagles.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Mears - no, Alonso - no, Sordell - doesn't look like it. Knight and Davies re-signed - nope.

Petrov - maybe, Mills - doubt it!

Wheater - perhaps, Eagles - in patches.

Andrews - no, Spearing - don't think so. Warnock - a chance.

Ngog - don't make me laugh! Lonergan or Wylde - who?

Joe Mckee - double who??

Thanks Owen - you really have left us right in the shit!

Hope your phone is still ringing!

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Holden

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Is he the one with the knackered leg who hasn't played in the last 18 months?

Shows how good the others must be then!

Thanks Owen.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

I was going to say Sturridge or Wilshere but he didn't leave us with them. Sad

Eagles or Holden.

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

To be fair I honestly don't think any of his signings are good or inspirational.

I would never have resigned either Zat Knight"mare" or Kevin "Over the hill" Davies, but there do seem to be some good fringe players coming through the youth system - why didn't he use them.

JonnyRandom

JonnyRandom
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Well he could have had zaha or powell if he was willing to give and extra million. His worse signings is not getting them two. His best for me has to be either petrov or holden. Yes eagles has come good and a good championship player but in the prem when we signed him he was just not consistent enough and not a premiership player

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

One of his better signings could have been keeping hold of Al Habsi and not spending the money he got on Ngog...........Habsi would have probably contributed more up front than Ngog to be fair.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

When Wilshere left most fans said "he wasn't that good anyway"

lol!

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Im going to stick up for Coyle a bit here, and I know most wont agree but..

I believe given the tiny budget we had Coyle didn't actually do that bad a job in the transfer market, and I certainly think he did better than Megson who had tens of million to spend and imo is the main reason were here now.

If we take a look at a likely starting 11 from only Coyles signings, removing resignings, I don't see them as Coyles signings, but using youth players (one of his instructions was to start getting players out of the youth team, so im crediting youth development to him) and injured players because there is no reason why they shouldn't be included, he still signed them, we have a decent set of players, what lacked was a decent manager unfortunately:

--------Bogdan----------

Riley---Wheater--Ream--Warnock

Eagles--Spearing--Holden--Petrov

-------Afobe ---N'gog/Sordell--------

Ive put Sordell in because I just don't see how he can be a bad player, hes an actual proven scorer both for club and under 21s, im sure we will eventually be using him.

Most people said our squad was good enough to stay up last year, most said it was good enough to be promoted, and since Coyle has left we have lost one game!

The squad could definitely be improved, but I don't believe we have a terrible set of players, we just had a manager who couldn't play defensively, and seemingly had the worst training setup Ive ever heard of.

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Mears: Crap.
Alonso: Sometimes good, usually crap.
Sordell: Would like to find out someday.
Petrov: Very good at this level, could still play at PL level.
Wheater: When fit, our best CB now Cahill has left.
Eagles: Has his off days, on the whole, great at this level.
Andrews: WTF did we sign him for!?
Spearing: Like what I've seen so far!
Warnock: Like what I've seen so far!
N'Gog: Awful under previous regime, giving him a chance under Dougie!
Lonergan: Wait and see.
Wylde: Wait and see.
Afobe: Okay as a loanee, would NOT buy.
Holden: When fit, the best player at the club.
Mills: I reckon he can be a good player under the right manager! (Dougie!)
Ream: Useful player, not a world beater though...

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Lt. Boon wrote:Mears: Crap.
Alonso: Sometimes good, usually crap.
Sordell: Would like to find out someday.
Petrov: Very good at this level, could still play at PL level.
Wheater: When fit, our best CB now Cahill has left.
Eagles: Has his off days, on the whole, great at this level.
Andrews: WTF did we sign him for!?
Spearing: Like what I've seen so far!
Warnock: Like what I've seen so far!
N'Gog: Awful under previous regieme, giving him a chance under Dougie!
Lonergan: Wait and see.
Wylde: Wait and see.
Afobe: Okay as a loanee, would NOT buy.
Holden: When fit, the best player at the club.
Mills: I reckon he can be a good player under the right manager! (Dougie!)
Ream: Useful player, not a world beater though...

That pretty much sums up my feelings about these players, but there is one that everyone forgets: Pratley. Signed on a 4 year contract and as bad as Mears.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I will second Lt Boons appraisal.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:When Wilshere left most fans said "he wasn't that good anyway"

lol!

I think my comment was that Wilshere could spoil a potentially great career with his petulant attitude. Cocky little f***** who needs to be careful that he doesn't believe his own hype and concentrates instead on his game. Undoes a lot of good work by giving away far too many niggly fouls and a tendency to let his emotions get out of check. I can see a lot of cards coming his way when the wunderkind tag wears off.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:

I think my comment was that Wilshere could spoil a potentially great career with his petulant attitude. Cocky little f***** who needs to be careful that he doesn't believe his own hype and concentrates instead on his game. Undoes a lot of good work by giving away far too many niggly fouls and a tendency to let his emotions get out of check. I can see a lot of cards coming his way when the wunderkind tag wears off.

Wilshere reminds me very much of Paul Scholes. A great player who could also be a dirty bugger and got his fair share of Refs cards.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok Trotter wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

Wilshere reminds me very much of Paul Scholes. A great player who could also be a dirty bugger and got his fair share of Refs cards.

I think Wilshere carries the ball well whereas Scholes was all about passing distribution and getting forward - but neither can tackle to save their lives.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

People go overboard about Wilshere in my opinion - he played well for us in only a handful of games, the rest of the time he struggled. It's the same with Arsenal, one good game followed by three poor ones.

He'll be an England legend.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:People go overboard about Wilshere in my opinion - he played well for us in only a handful of games, the rest of the time he struggled. It's the same with Arsenal, one good game followed by three poor ones.

He'll be an England legend.

He's good but not genius. Runs well will the ball and can pass, but he can't tackle very well and hasn't got a finishers instinct like e.g. Nolan or Bryan Robson have/had. I just wonder where the end product is with Wilshere - but then again he's an Arsenal player so I shouldn't be surprised if there isn't one. I accept he can't shoot or get on the end of things, so I'd expect to see lots of killer passes from him but can't say I've seen too many - tends to play it safe/sideways.

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Hes 20 though with already more than 50 appearances in the prem.

I don't think hes an outstanding player yet, but we don't really know his full capability yet either.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum