Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Charlton 0-2 Bolton

+5
Boggersbelief
BoltonTillIDie
Norpig
Hipster_Nebula
wanderlust
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Charlton 0-2 Bolton Empty Charlton 0-2 Bolton Thu Oct 26 2023, 17:04

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

So having moved Cogley to LWB (dropping the previous games' MOTM Williams in the process), Toal to LCB, Jones to RWB, Sheehan to DM, Thomason forward and bringing in Maghoma and Forrester for good measure, I'm wondering what tactical masterclass Mr Evatt is planning for this game?
Obviously the sweeping positional changes for Wycombe were intended to combat their physicality (which is a moot point as they didn't bring on the likes of Vokes and Wheeler until after they were 2 nil down) but Charlton are a different kettle of fish.....basically great attackers, crap defenders.

Whatever team Evatt goes for, we should have enough for the points. My slight concern is that if we have another one of those sloppy periods with passes going astray and possession being handed over cheaply - as we've seen several times recently - they have the quality up front in Alfie May, Blackett-Taylor, Leaburn and Campbell to take full advantage (I'd add Chuks Aneke to that list but he pulled his hammy at the weekend so might not play)
On a more positive note, their defence is questionable and not very quick so I'd expect Dion and Vic to be all over them. Just a matter of taking our chances when they come along because I'm expecting we'll get a few.
Foot on the gas from the off - and keep it there - job done.

2Charlton 0-2 Bolton Empty Re: Charlton 0-2 Bolton Fri Oct 27 2023, 16:36

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Home banker.

3Charlton 0-2 Bolton Empty Re: Charlton 0-2 Bolton Fri Oct 27 2023, 16:39

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think Evatt was resting Williams so i expect him to start tomorrow. Its a difficult choice between Forrester and Jones for the one place up for grabs in the back 3, i'd go for Forrester but Evatt loves Jones so i expect him to start.

Can see us winning this 2-1

4Charlton 0-2 Bolton Empty Re: Charlton 0-2 Bolton Fri Oct 27 2023, 16:49

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Charlton currently sit in 13th position on 18 points, we are 4th on 26 points.
They've had some good results at home:
Beat Wycombe 3-1
Beat Exeter 4-1
Beat Reading 4-0
But they also just lost 3-1 against Lincoln at home, in their last game

Our recent form against Charlton has been great.
Won the last 4!

Overall Stats:

Played: 95
Won: 46 (48%)
Lost: 29 (31%)
Drawn: 20 (21%)

A nice summary from CharltonLife forum:

Introduction
Charlton's good form since Michael Appleton was appointed as Manager came crashing down with a bang on Tuesday night. The 3-1 loss at Lincoln City was a score line no one could have predicted, especially when Alfie May opened the scoring - Was it an off-night, or is our away form just not to be relied upon this season... Either way it needs to be forgotten, what with our next clash this Saturday.

The Opposition
Name: Bolton Wanderers (4th) | Manager: Ian Evatt
Ground: Reebok Stadium
Previous League Result: Wycombe 2-4 Bolton

Next up to grace SE7 are high flying Bolton Wanderers, and perhaps one of the CharltonLife favourites for automatic promotion this season - Many will use Ipswich's spending approach as a way to get out of this Division, yet is Bolton's potentially more sensible...?

After all the Trotters have seen gradual improvement ever since they were relegated to the fourth tier back in 2019-20, what with their own financial and ownership difficulties... Since then they've steadily progressed as a team, making refinements each season, allowing them to improve season after season - This is their third season back at this level, and will certainly be looking to improve upon their failure in the Play-Off last season, losing to Barnsley in the Semi-Finals.

Well that setback doesn't seem to have phased them - They sit in fourth, just two points behind Oxford United, and it'll be a battle of the Strikers tomorrow afternoon - Leading the Bolton attack will be Dion Charles, he's just one goal behind Alfie May in the League this season, and has two goals against the Addicks from previous meetings - However Bolton have something we don't have... Ricardo Santos, one of the better Centre-Backs in this Division, and someone who'll be pointless trying to win a physical battle against.

A home win isn't out of the question... Bolton have only dropped four points on the road all season, yet surprisingly have conceded one extra goal than our own Defence, proving that they aren't invincible... Time to see what we're made of

Charlton Team News
The match against Lincoln was an opportunity for some individuals to lay claim to a regular starting spot in this Charlton team, the likes of Nathan Asiimwe and Scott Fraser have been forced to make do with cameo appearances of late... It wont be surprising to see both back on the bench this coming Saturday with Tennai Watson and Louie Watson coming back into the team.

We wait with baited breath to hear how long Chuks Aneke will be out for... He'd have been perfect to face Ricardo Santos - You'd think that Miles Leaburn on the other hand will be too easy for the Portuguese Centre-Back to contain, so is this an opportunity for Slobodan Tedić to appear in his more natural position... On a personal note, I feel that balls lumped forward tomorrow will be a case of repeating the same mistake over and over, yet getting the same pointless result.

Maynard-Brewer
T.Watson - Hector - Jones - Edun
L.Watson - Dobson
May
T.Campbell - Tedić - Blackett-Taylor

Substitutes Bench: Walker - Thomas - Asiimwe - C.Campbell - Fraser - Camara - Leaburn

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

5Charlton 0-2 Bolton Empty Re: Charlton 0-2 Bolton Fri Oct 27 2023, 21:38

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Charlton 1-5 Bolton. Things are starting to click I believe.

6Charlton 0-2 Bolton Empty Re: Charlton 0-2 Bolton Sat Oct 28 2023, 01:28

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Charlton the bookies favourites to win this one either because they've only lost one in the last 8 or they have home advantage but for me it depends on which team turns up on the day.

One thing that struck me was that Lies wrote an article about us playing well in the first half and crap in the second* - whereas chatting to the Charlton fans they consistently said that they don't really get going until the second half so it really could be a classic "game of two halves".

* Article said that if only first halves this season counted we'd be 2nd in the league whereas if only second halves counted we'd be 19th!

7Charlton 0-2 Bolton Empty Re: Charlton 0-2 Bolton Sat Oct 28 2023, 09:23

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Norpig wrote:I think Evatt was resting Williams so i expect him to start tomorrow. Its a difficult choice I between Forrester and Jones for the one place up for grabs in the back 3, i'd go for Forrester but Evatt loves Jones so i expect him to start.

Can see us winning this 2-1
I’d expect Williams back too Pig. He might not be the best defender but his role is to get forward and support the attack and as well as Coggers did the other night he’s nowhere near as effective on the left and I expect him to return to the RWB role today.

Much as I rate Forrester I’d pick Jones at RCB on the basis that he links up with Cogley so much better going forward. On Toal I’ve previously worried about no left foot but to be fair on Tuesday he was superb so back 3 for me would be Toal Santos Jones. Up front it can only be Dion and Vic and in midfield Paris to start instead of Morley.

One thing I was thinking about Will Forrester. Does anybody think like me that he might make a good defensive mid? He reminds me a little of Paul Madeley at Leeds with his flexibility and i think he might be similar? Will is maybe a little short for a good centre back and since we’re missing a strong midfielder, could Will fit in there? Just a thought. 🥴

8Charlton 0-2 Bolton Empty Re: Charlton 0-2 Bolton Sat Oct 28 2023, 14:46

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

9Charlton 0-2 Bolton Empty Re: Charlton 0-2 Bolton Sat Oct 28 2023, 14:48

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Radio Nuts is now live!

10Charlton 0-2 Bolton Empty Re: Charlton 0-2 Bolton Sat Oct 28 2023, 15:56

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

11Charlton 0-2 Bolton Empty Re: Charlton 0-2 Bolton Sat Oct 28 2023, 15:56

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

12Charlton 0-2 Bolton Empty Re: Charlton 0-2 Bolton Sat Oct 28 2023, 16:42

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Great goals!

13Charlton 0-2 Bolton Empty Re: Charlton 0-2 Bolton Sat Oct 28 2023, 17:10

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Up to second now but yet again it could have been so much more comfortable with just a little composure.

14Charlton 0-2 Bolton Empty Re: Charlton 0-2 Bolton Sat Oct 28 2023, 17:13

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Oxford scored a 96th minute penalty meaning we are third.
A great week of results, 3 games, 3 wins, 9 points.

15Charlton 0-2 Bolton Empty Re: Charlton 0-2 Bolton Sat Oct 28 2023, 18:58

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

In the light of the previous two games, I was a bit worried when we went in at HT just 2 up having not put it to bed when we totally dominated them - but was mightily impressed on how we handled it today and created as many second half chances as they did to score. Some great performances all over - I'd even pick out Maghoma's cameo who not only ghosted past players and moved it around nicely but also put his foot in and won back possession a couple of times. With everyone seeming to hit form at the same time we look blessed in midfield at last and I'm wondering if Demps will struggle to command a regular start when he comes back? 
Lovely goals, 3 points in a tricky away fixture, some passages of very tidy football and a strong defensive performance when Charlton came at us - overall a very good day. More of that please.

16Charlton 0-2 Bolton Empty Re: Charlton 0-2 Bolton Sat Oct 28 2023, 19:17

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

BoltonTillIDie wrote:Oxford scored a 96th minute penalty meaning we are third.  
A great week of results, 3 games, 3 wins, 9 points.
Quite right, spoke too soon!!

17Charlton 0-2 Bolton Empty Re: Charlton 0-2 Bolton Sun Oct 29 2023, 08:58

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We were absolutely superb yesterday. If we set that standard in every game we will win the league

18Charlton 0-2 Bolton Empty Re: Charlton 0-2 Bolton Sun Oct 29 2023, 11:07

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Boggersbelief wrote:We were absolutely superb yesterday. If we set that standard in every game we will win the league
Superb in the first half - not so much in the second.
Somehow, we continue to lose the plot in the second half - we stop passing and start hoofing more. However overall, yesterday a well-deserved display. Makes you scratch your head as to how we have given up points to low level teams this season. 
I notice Oxford have a tricky away game on Tuesday - if things go our way, we could have a game in hand over them with same number of points.
Onwards  Cool

19Charlton 0-2 Bolton Empty Re: Charlton 0-2 Bolton Sun Oct 29 2023, 11:55

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Knew we would win this quite easily. Poor team Charlton.

20Charlton 0-2 Bolton Empty Re: Charlton 0-2 Bolton Sun Oct 29 2023, 16:30

BarrygoestoBolton

Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Knew we would win this quite easily. Poor team Charlton.
You say that, but they’d only lost one of their last six league games and that was away. 

On the other hand, I also thought we’d win it easily and we certainly could have scored a couple more to make it more convincing.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum