Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Portsmouth boss on aggressive pressing and important first goal

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Portsmouth boss on aggressive pressing and important first goal  17538873

Portsmouth boss John Mousinho hailed his side’s “outstanding” second-half display against Wanderers.

Pompey secured a 2-0 victory in the battle of League One’s top two sides thanks to goals from Conor Shaughnessy and Kusini Yengi in the final minutes of each half.

“I thought it was a really well-contested game throughout the 90 minutes, but particularly in the first half,” Mousinho told Sky Sports.

“Dion Charles missed a really big chance but we missed a couple ourselves. Second half, I thought we were magnificent.

“I thought we pressed really well and broke on them time and time again. I thought we fully deserved the win and I am really pleased for the lads. The effort they put in today was outstanding.”

Portsmouth were without top-scorer Colby Bishop due to injury but Yengi delivered a big performance in his absence.

“It is his first season over here and has taken a bit of adjustment,” Mousinho continued. “It was only his second league start for us and that shows tonight that you never know when things are going to change.

“He has been playing behind our top-scorer, Colby Bishop, who has been outstanding.

“It was a really good battle, Santos is without doubt one of the best centre-backs in the league and I thought Kusini gave him a really good go.”

The first half had been an even encounter before Shaughnessy headed home from an in-swinging corner, and Mousinho admits the breakthrough came at an important time for his side.

“We do win a lot of set-pieces and we score a lot of them as well,” he explained. “We have some excellent delivery in the side and Conor Shaughnessy is big, he’s aggressive and he got across the front.

“It did come at a good time for us. I didn’t really change the half-time team talk because I thought we were playing really well, but it was nice to go in with the lead.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum