Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Style change for Beckford

+2
Jamster26
BoltonTillIDie
6 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Style change for Beckford Empty Style change for Beckford Fri Aug 16 2013, 08:28

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

WANDERERS could undergo a style change in order to get the best out of Jermaine Beckford.

Despite a frustrating start to his Reebok career the Jamaica international has been backed to the hilt by Dougie Freedman, who admits he may need to make a few tweaks to the way his team play if he is to get his summer signing on the goal trail.

Beckford’s drawn-out move from Leicester City has meant him playing catch-up in training but the Whites boss reckons his movement up front will soon be rewarded as some of his team-mates get up to speed.

“The problem we had with Jermaine is that we only really had him for two weeks of pre-season and most of that was taken up with his fitness work,” he said.

“You’ve seen the runs he makes and we have been working very hard on it again this week on reading that – so we possibly need to look to release the ball a bit quicker.

“We have got a group of players like Chung-Yong Lee, Chris Eagles and David Ngog who run with the ball a lot more now. Possibly we need to get back to releasing a few more early passes.

“There’s no doubt in my mind his movement is right up there so it’s up to us to give him opportunities.”

After a summer of battling for his signature, Freedman picked up Beckford for a pittance from Leicester with a larger transfer fee based upon bonuses depending on his success with Wanderers.

And as the Whites come up against big-spending Nottingham Forest tomorrow, the Scot insists there has yet to be a better bit of business done in the Championship this summer.

“I say hand on heart that he’s an ideal player for me,” he said. “He’s a fantastic finisher and a great lad to have around.

“You can go and spend a few million on (Jamie) Mackie and he’s a great lad but for me Jermaine is just as good and I have got him for nothing.

“My Financial Fair Play is called hard work and scouting.”

Wanderers have yet to pick up their first win but Freedman is content that his team have improved over the course of draws against Burnley and Reading.

“It has been a good solid start but it can always be better,” he said. “Performance-wise there hasn’t been a lot in either game.

“Go to 2-0 against Reading and the game is dead, and there were periods at Burnley where I thought we were excellent after their goal.

“At the moment I’m not looking at points, wins, losses or where we are in the table it’s just about performances and when we’re all fit it’s just a matter of when it comes together, not if.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2Style change for Beckford Empty Re: Style change for Beckford Fri Aug 16 2013, 09:01

Jamster26

Jamster26
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Just don't punt it to him, play to his strengths. Hopefully this will come as the games go by and the team get used to how he plays.

3Style change for Beckford Empty Re: Style change for Beckford Fri Aug 16 2013, 09:53

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

You've got to laugh.

Here's a highly paid manager who thinks we should play to Beckford's strengths! What an insight, I doubt any manager has ever thought about playing to strengths before! This could change football forever.

Freedman you dick.

4Style change for Beckford Empty Re: Style change for Beckford Fri Aug 16 2013, 10:30

Natasha Whittam wrote:You've got to laugh.

Here's a highly paid manager who thinks we should play to Beckford's strengths! What an insight, I doubt any manager has ever thought about playing to strengths before! This could change football forever.

Freedman you dick.
Read the article, all he's said is we need to release the ball early to find Beckfords' runs.

What's the issue?

5Style change for Beckford Empty Re: Style change for Beckford Fri Aug 16 2013, 11:37

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:
Read the article, all he's said is we need to release the ball early to find Beckfords' runs.

What's the issue?
The fact we've played too much long ball so far. The fact that Dougie should have known Beckford's strengths before he signed him.

6Style change for Beckford Empty Re: Style change for Beckford Fri Aug 16 2013, 11:40

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

How about playing good passing football ......  we will all benefit.  Cut back on the hoofball and chances will flow.  It's not rocket science.

7Style change for Beckford Empty Re: Style change for Beckford Fri Aug 16 2013, 11:47

Natasha Whittam wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:

What's the issue?
The fact we've played too much long ball so far. The fact that Dougie should have known Beckford's strengths before he signed him.
He does know his strengths, he's just said them. Any idiot with the first idea about football knows the type of striker Beckford is, Dougie's sending a message to the midfield about releasing the ball to him earlier and reading his runs. 

They won't do it instantly, I think they're too used to playing with SKD, and more recently N'gog who drops deep back to goal. Beckford plays on the last man and trys to get behind, we need to use that.

8Style change for Beckford Empty Re: Style change for Beckford Fri Aug 16 2013, 13:19

waynagain

waynagain
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

bwfc1874 wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:

What's the issue?
He does know his strengths, he's just said them. Any idiot with the first idea about football knows the type of striker Beckford is, Dougie's sending a message to the midfield about releasing the ball to him earlier and reading his runs. 

They won't do it instantly, I think they're too used to playing with SKD, and more recently N'gog who drops deep back to goal. Beckford plays on the last man and trys to get behind, we need to use that.
Maybe he's going to tell him to kick the ball into the goal as well.

9Style change for Beckford Empty Re: Style change for Beckford Fri Aug 16 2013, 13:26

waynagain wrote:Maybe he's going to tell him to kick the ball into the goal as well.
He hasn't told Beckford to do anything, just said the midfield need to get used to his runs and release the ball earlier.

What are you talking about?

10Style change for Beckford Empty Re: Style change for Beckford Fri Aug 16 2013, 13:36

waynagain

waynagain
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Freedman also said his first 2 weeks at Bolton was spent on 'fitness', doesn't seem to have done a very good job as he's been here 4 weeks now and not managed to last 90 minutes yet!!!

11Style change for Beckford Empty Re: Style change for Beckford Fri Aug 16 2013, 13:40

waynagain wrote:Freedman also said his first 2 weeks at Bolton was spent on 'fitness', doesn't seem to have done a very good job as he's been here 4 weeks now and not managed to last 90 minutes yet!!!
There's a huge difference between not being able to last 90 minutes and  being sacrificed for a tactical change.

One thing most fans agree on is how improved fitness is under Dougie, would you not agree?

12Style change for Beckford Empty Re: Style change for Beckford Fri Aug 16 2013, 14:07

waynagain

waynagain
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Not with Beckford, and as for him being replaced as a tactical move, how many times has it resulted in changing the score? Seems like you are saying Freedman is tactically naive.

13Style change for Beckford Empty Re: Style change for Beckford Fri Aug 16 2013, 15:07

waynagain wrote:Not with Beckford, and as for him being replaced as a tactical move, how many times has it resulted in changing the score? Seems like you are saying Freedman is tactically naive.
Tactically naive would be not to change it at all or to put somebody like Lee on when we need to hold out for a result (Owen Coyle WBA (h) 2012). Swapping Beckford for C Davies in the 80th minute is about as standard a change as you can make, it doesn't make anybody a tactical genius but it certainly doesn't make them naive.

You are creating things to moan about that little or no sense. Just so I can work out what you look for in a manager, who would you suggest as a good replacement for Dougie? Big Mick? Iain Dowie? Jimmy Phillips?

14Style change for Beckford Empty Re: Style change for Beckford Fri Aug 16 2013, 16:25

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote: Jimmy Phillips?
Phillips has a better win ratio than Freedman.

15Style change for Beckford Empty Re: Style change for Beckford Fri Aug 16 2013, 17:25

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Irrelevant, unless you'd prefer Jimmy Phillips to take over?

16Style change for Beckford Empty Re: Style change for Beckford Fri Aug 16 2013, 18:07

waynagain

waynagain
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Natasha Whittam wrote:
but does he have a better draw ratio?

17Style change for Beckford Empty Re: Style change for Beckford Fri Aug 16 2013, 18:16

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:
Irrelevant, unless you'd prefer Jimmy Phillips to take over?
Definitely!

Surely you'd rather have a manager with the best possible win ratio - or is winning not the point of football anymore?

18Style change for Beckford Empty Re: Style change for Beckford Fri Aug 16 2013, 18:57

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

lol! 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum