Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is Cinema Dead?

+15
Norpig
wessy
Numpty 28723
okocha
Reebok Trotter
finlaymcdanger
Hipster_Nebula
Mr Magoo
karlypants
Leeds_Trotter
doffcocker
Fabians Right Peg
boltonbonce
scottjames30
Natasha Whittam
19 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1Is Cinema Dead? Empty Is Cinema Dead? Mon Feb 15 2016, 19:02

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I love films. I couldn't live without Sky Movies. I watch virtually every film that the channel puts on.

Just this weekend I watched 'Predestination' on Sky Premiere and what an experience it was. Fantastic film. You must watch it.

But I've also been to the cinema twice this week and I quickly realised why I go so rarely - it's shit.

At the weekend I saw 'Deadpool' and this afternoon I took my sisters kids to see 'Goosebumps'. Both films were ok but the cinema experience is not what it once was.

Firstly, it's a bloody rip-off. £8 for adults and £6 for kids on a Monday afternoon. What the fook is that all about? A coke and a box of popcorn cost an extra £7 per person. How does your average family afford that? You could get a monthly Sky Movie subscription for about £10, and then a coke and a bag of popcorn from Asda for less than £2.

And for all the money you spend the twats at the cinema couldn't even be arsed putting a ticket collector on the door so people were freely walking in and out - I bet half didn't have tickets. And don't even get me started on the bogs. Disgusting.

When I was a kid you had to get there early to get a seat, the place was always packed out at half-term. Today I counted 7 people watching the film. It's clear the cinema is dead, so why aren't the cinema firms doing something about it?

Do you still go to the cinema? Is it as shit as I say?

2Is Cinema Dead? Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? Mon Feb 15 2016, 19:07

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I have one of them boxes so I don't really need to go.

I hate the sound of people munching.

3Is Cinema Dead? Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? Mon Feb 15 2016, 19:51

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The last time I went to the pictures it was to see 'Hatari' starring John Wayne,and that was in the sixties,at the Unit4 Walkden.
Too many people in the cinema,and if they're not slurping drinks,rustling sweet papers and coughing,they're snoring or farting.
I can get all that at home,thank you very much.

4Is Cinema Dead? Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? Mon Feb 15 2016, 20:08

I was going to start a thread about Predestination but I forgot.

I watched it a couple of weeks back and really enjoyed it (although I did suss the twist after about 20 minutes).

Thought provoking stuff.

As for the flicks, if they made it cheaper, I'd probably go more often.

If you want to sit in a seat where you're not craning your neck up to see the screen, you get charged a premium - rip off.

And a "standard" drink's about four quid.

I'm not tight but if I'm paying thirty quid for the two of us to go out, I'd rather have a meal and wait until the film's on Sky.

The one exception I made was Everest.

I saw that on iMax 3D to get the full effect (as recommended by Mark Kermode) and it was stunning and worth every penny. (Mrs B's got mild vertigo and she was sick.)

5Is Cinema Dead? Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? Mon Feb 15 2016, 20:14

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:I was going to start a thread about Predestination but I forgot.

I watched it a couple of weeks back and really enjoyed it (although I did suss the twist after about 20 minutes).

Thought provoking stuff.

Time travel is ace. When I finish my time machine I will invite you along.

6Is Cinema Dead? Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? Mon Feb 15 2016, 20:20

Never going to happen though, is it? (Sadly.)

Because we'd already know because somebody would have come back by now and told us.

Shame.

7Is Cinema Dead? Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? Mon Feb 15 2016, 20:23

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

What if I went back in time and shot my Dad.
I wouldn't have existed in the future to be able to go back in time?
Not that I'd want to shoot my Dad,but you get the picture.

8Is Cinema Dead? Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? Mon Feb 15 2016, 20:25

Have you seen Predestination, Boncey?

Similar theme.

9Is Cinema Dead? Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? Mon Feb 15 2016, 20:28

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

No. Heard good things about it though. Do they still have an ice cream lady at the pics?

10Is Cinema Dead? Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? Mon Feb 15 2016, 20:29

Fabians Right Peg

Fabians Right Peg
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Cinema is not what it used to be since the demise of the intermission and choc ices, however I do still go quite regularly.

Yes you can sit in and watch a film on the box, but it's not the same as taking the missus out and sharing a overly priced scoop of ice-cream.

Last film I saw was the Revenant was carp. :nopoints:

11Is Cinema Dead? Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? Mon Feb 15 2016, 20:30

A lady made out of ice cream?

Are you mad, Bonce....?

12Is Cinema Dead? Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? Mon Feb 15 2016, 20:31

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Times change. In my day an organ came up in front of the screen,

They banned me in the end.

13Is Cinema Dead? Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? Mon Feb 15 2016, 20:35

boltonbonce wrote:Times change. In my day an organ came up in front of the screen,

They banned me in the end.

Whittam's going to banjo you for doing that to her thread.

Again....  Smile

14Is Cinema Dead? Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? Mon Feb 15 2016, 20:37

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Fabians Right Peg wrote:Cinema is not what it used to be since the demise of the intermission and choc ices, however I do still go quite regularly.

Yes you can sit in and watch a film on the box, but it's not the same as taking the missus out and sharing a overly priced scoop of ice-cream.

Last film I saw was the Revenant was carp. :nopoints:
DiCaprio supposed to be worthy of a gong. Not so then?

15Is Cinema Dead? Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? Mon Feb 15 2016, 20:43

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Box sets are taking over.

How many people do you hear now talking about the latest big film on at the pictures?

And how many people never stop going on about Game of Thrones and stuff like that?

Half of my boxsets have cost me less than one visit to the cinema would, so you can see why it's usually empty down there.

16Is Cinema Dead? Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? Mon Feb 15 2016, 20:53

Game of Thrones is shit.

There......I've said it.

(I know that's not the point you were making, Doff but I had to say it - overrated bollocks and half its audience of gawky teenage boys wouldn't bother with it if it wasn't full of shagging.)

17Is Cinema Dead? Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? Mon Feb 15 2016, 20:56

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Doff is right. I could build a wall with my box sets.
Think it'll be The Twilight Zone  tonight.

18Is Cinema Dead? Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? Mon Feb 15 2016, 21:09

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Breadman wrote:Game of Thrones is shit.

There......I've said it.

(I know that's not the point you were making, Doff but I had to say it - overrated bollocks and half its audience of gawky teenage boys wouldn't bother with it if it wasn't full of shagging.)

It wouldn't be half as popular if it wasn't full of bums and willies and boobs, but I do think it's worth persevering with. I finally got into it after about twenty episodes.

19Is Cinema Dead? Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? Mon Feb 15 2016, 21:15

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bums Willies and Boobs. They did my Dad's funeral. Nice hearse,for a three wheeler.

20Is Cinema Dead? Empty Re: Is Cinema Dead? Mon Feb 15 2016, 21:45

Leeds_Trotter

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Being a typical Yorkshire bloke I'm a frugal little bastard. I never pay full price for anything. This goes for the cinema too, I currently get 2 for 1 so i tend to split the price with me and friend.

Anyway I signed up for travel insurance through comparethemarket.com it cost me around £2 and It enables me to get two for one cinema tickets on a Tuesday or a Wednesday for a whole year. It makes sense because over the past year Ive saved well over £50. Before the compare the market deal I had the EE/Orange Wednesdays thing.

As for it been outdated as someone mentioned box sets are taking over now, I always thought that they should do marathons of series in the cinema with intervals where people have time to eat something substantial. Like pizza and chips or burger and chips which the cinema could sell and also profit from.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum