Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton 4-0 Gillingham - Match Report Post #32

+18
Bwfc1958
Hip Priest
boltonbonce
okocha
bryan458
finlaymcdanger
karlypants
Lard Lad
MartinBWFC
Soul Kitchen
whatsgoingon
wessy
observer
Natasha Whittam
BoltonTillIDie
Boggersbelief
gloswhite
Bread2.0
22 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Bwfc1958 wrote:As I work weekends and never get chance to get to the match I decided at the last minute to get down there and I wasn't disappointed. The pressing was good again and for the first time in years we look like a team rather than a bunch of clueless individuals and the goals were first class. If some of those goals were scored by Citeh or Chelsea we'd never hear the end.

Having said that, Gillingham were shite. As good as we were they didn't half make it easy. They spent most of the game just backing off and letting us do what we wanted. There was no closing down and thwy had no awareness about them whatsoever. They had wide men who had no intention of ever tracking back and were terrible at marking literally anybody. They couldn't even take a legal throw in at one point.

You can only beat what's put in front of you though and we took full advantage and did it with a bit of style which is nice to see. You would have to say that that performance is above and beyond anything else you are likely to see in this division so for a change, things are looking good.
In all fairness Gillingham were only as good as we allowed them to be and it was a dominant performance from start to finish all over the pitch, and we have shown that in glimpses recently so to see it maintained for a full 90 minutes is the thing I'm most pleased about.
Everytime we lost the ball we hunted in packs to get it back and they didn't have the ability to cope with that,we scored four goals and their goalkeeper was probably their best player.
The biggest compliment I can say to Bolton tonight is that Gillingham will play like they did last night in other games this season and get a result, we were just too good last night.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Report: Bolton 4-0 Gillingham

IN BRIEF

Wanderers moved back into Sky Bet League One's top two with an emphatic 4-0 victory over Gillingham in front of the television cameras on Monday night.

The deadlock was broken inside 14 minutes with Gary Madine nodding home a Josh Vela cross, while the academy graduate turned goalscorer just short of the half hour mark when slotting home a cheeky Zach Clough back-heel.

Madine then doubled his tally in the 65th minute of the clash when heading a Jay Spearing free-kick past the Gills’ keeper, while Sammy Ameobi made it four with ten minutes to go with an absolute piledriver from distance to cap off a memorable evening for Phil Parkinson's men.

TEAM NEWS

Wanderers were unchanged in their starting XI from the side who began the Emirates FA Cup game against Sheffield United nine days previous.

FIRST HALF

The home side started brightly in the clash, with Gary Madine flashing an effort from distance just wide of the post inside three minutes.

It was very much one-way traffic, but on a rare foray downfield the Gills almost snatched the lead against the run of play as Max Ehmer saw a thunderous shot blocked with Ben Alnwick a beaten man.

Up the other end of the pitch meanwhile, Josh Vela’s half volley flew agonisingly wide of the upright with Macron Stadium on their feet.

And the deadlock was broken in the 14th minute as a superb cross-field ball from Vela found Madine in the area, with the big frontman given the simple task of nodding home past a helpless Stuart Nelson.

Buoyed by their opener, Bolton proceeded to power forward in their numbers in a bid to extend their lead with the Gills at sixes and sevens at the back.

Justin Edinburgh’s side just couldn’t cope with the Whites, with Nelson having to be at his best to deny Zach Clough at range soon after.

Again though, the visitors were looking a threat on the counter with Frank Nouble firing an effort down the throat of Alnwick in the 28th minute.

They didn’t have to wait too long to add to their tally however, with a beautifully crafted move between Clough and Vela seeing the latter calmly slot beneath Nelson from a clever back-heel with the goalkeeper simply unable to do anything to prevent it.

It was a joy to watch as Wanderers pushed to add more goals, with those inside Macron Stadium on the edge of their seats at the clock ran down to half time.

A third appeared to have arrived just before the break, with Sammy Ameobi’s effort being parried out by Nelson, but Clough’s rebounded effort was adjudged to be offside.

Come the end of the opening 45 however, it was just the two goals for the Whites.

SECOND HALF

With no changes at the break, proceedings got back underway and the Trotters were right back on it, looking to extend their lead. 

The visitors almost grabbed a lifeline against the run of play however, with Jake Hessenthaler’s header seemingly bound for the back of the net, only for Wanderers’ blushes to be spared.

Gillingham were certainly enjoying more time in Bolton territory inside the opening stages of the second period, but Bolton were soaking up any pressure put their way while Alnwick was simply being called upon for simple collections.

On the hour mark meanwhile, a third goal looked to have arrived as Spearing’s drive stung the palms of Nelson, with Madine unable to tuck the ball away from a tight angle on the rebound.

That goal however arrived with 25 minutes of the game remaining as Madine made no mistake at the second time of asking, nodding home a Spearing free-kick with ease to the delight of the Macron faithful.

Wanderers visibly weren’t finished for the night, with substitute Chris Taylor seeing an angled drive blocked by the Gills keeper shortly after.

Gillingham simply couldn’t cope with the Whites, with Phil Parkinson’s side running riot as the clock ticked down to full time.

And it was four with ten minutes to go, Ameobi the man this time with an absolutely sensational strike from distance to send the Bolton fans into raptures.

Completely and utterly deserved by the Trotters, the final stages of the clash brought a penalty shout for substitute Keshi Anderson and a golden opportunity for James Henry inside the six yard box, but ultimately it mattered not at the final whistle as Wanderers ran out emphatic winners.

FULL TIME

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Probably our best performance since dicking Wigan 3-1 early in Neil Lennon's reign.

Defence looked solid, Spearing and Thorpe superb, and even the front men looked lively.

I fully expect us to get dicked at Chesterfield now, we never put two good performances together.

As for Ameobi, he was his usual self, his goal apart what did he actually do?

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

He showed us what a ridiculous haircut he has. 
Other than that, he scared the defence, made some, (a few), good passes, drew out the defence, and scored a cracker of a goal. Other than that, I agree, he did nothing  Very Happy

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Best performance of the season so far. Chesterfield must be quaking in their boots.

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

No Trotter......no coincidence??  Much more pace, movement and purposefulness. Laughing

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Re: The Ameoba, I commented on the Chatbox last night that he reminded me of Glen Hoddle.

Seriously.....

His link up play behind the front two was imperious and his ability to spot (and play) a clever pass to create space was exceptional.

I can fully see why Newcastle can't find a place for him in the Championship because he's a bit of a luxury, but in the 3rd Division, he's a real asset.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

How many chances did he create? How many assists?

BIG FAT ZERO.

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Clearly, he has turned your advances down in the not too distant past!!

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Soul Kitchen wrote:Clearly, he has turned your advances down in the not too distant past!!

I can do better. Pratley has been showing interest.

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Natasha Whittam wrote:Probably our best performance since dicking Wigan 3-1 early in Neil Lennon's reign.

Defence looked solid, Spearing and Thorpe superb, and even the front men looked lively.

I fully expect us to get dicked at Chesterfield now, we never put two good performances together.

As for Ameobi, he was his usual self, his goal apart what did he actually do?
Your starting to sound stupid now, we have won 11 of our last 12 matches what an earth are you talking about.

You are making a real tit of yourself over Ameobe.  He does things other players don't / can't do, that scare defenders shitless give the lad some credit. You seem to think the sun shines out of Osede's arse and he can't get in the team.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wessy wrote:Your starting to sound stupid now, we have won 11 of our last 12 matches what an earth are you talking about.

You are making a real tit of yourself over Ameobe.  He does things other players don't / can't do, that scare defenders shitless give the lad some credit. You seem to think the sun shines out of Osede's arse and he can't get in the team.

We'd have won 13 out of 12 with a better player than Ameobi.

As I've said, he's scored some good goals but only once every 4 or 5 games and with only two goal assists he's hardly justifying his place.

Having carried Mark Davies for the last decade you'd think any Bolton fan would be well versed in these luxury players. Ameobi can get away with it when we're playing well but when the shit goes down we need more than a few keepie-ups and a stupid haircut.

He'll be the first to hide when the next inevitable shit period comes along.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

didn't get to the game as i've been ill for a week (not been on here much either) so watched it on telly. A great performance from start to finish, everyone played well, the defence is settled and looks great, midfield pressed all game and i thought Thorpe had a great game. Nothing spectacular but did a great job in front of the back 4 nonetheless.

Vela looks great in the no10 role and his goal was outstanding and Madine had his best game ever in a white shirt.

All in all a great performance which cheered me up no end after feeling shitty for the last week.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Good all around last night .....  spearing and Madine chasing balls down in the 90th minute while 4-0 ahead......yer can't ask for more that that IMO.

This will be hard to duplicate going forward....got to watch about getting to cocky in the next game at the minimum.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reading Nat's comment I was reminded that Mark Davies is still with us.
With Vela making the no 10 shirt his own and Mavies' contract expiring in the summer I was wondering if he'll ever play for us again?
It's just that I can't see anyone offering him the wages he's currently on so he might as well take a pay cut and try to fight for his place at BWFC - if Parky wants him.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If Bolton offer Mavies a new contract I will never set foot in the Macron again.

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:I fully expect us to get dicked at Chesterfield now, we never put two good performances together.
We've won 8 of the last 9 FL1 games and won 12 of the last 14 in all competitions so we must have strung more than a couple together.

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

wanderlust wrote:Reading Nat's comment I was reminded that Mark Davies is still with us.
With Vela making the no 10 shirt his own and Mavies' contract expiring in the summer I was wondering if he'll ever play for us again?
It's just that I can't see anyone offering him the wages he's currently on so he might as well take a pay cut and try to fight for his place at BWFC - if Parky wants him.
No way will he play for us again, unless he's prepared to pay as you play for about 20% of what he's on now, even then I don't think PP would take him on.
I think FA rules mean we have to continue his treatment even after his contact has run out as well as paying him £18k per week to do fuck all.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

whatsgoingon wrote:
wanderlust wrote:Reading Nat's comment I was reminded that Mark Davies is still with us.
No way will he play for us again, unless he's prepared to pay as you play for about 20% of what he's on now, even then I don't think PP would take him on.
I think FA rules mean we have to continue his treatment even after his contact has run out as well as paying him £18k per week to do fuck all.

You presumption is that Vela is staying with us ....... first 2 or 3 million offer will see him off I would imagine......also Clough.

So we have Pratts and Mavies to fall back on ..... bleak scenario I'm afraid.......throw in Trotter while your at it.

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

terenceanne wrote:
whatsgoingon wrote:

You presumption is that Vela is staying with us ....... first 2 or 3 million offer will see him off I would imagine......also Clough.

So we have Pratts and Mavies to fall back on ..... bleak scenario I'm afraid.......throw in Trotter while your at it.
If Anderson is smart, the easy money may not be the best long term solution.  If we go up, then he stands to benefit more in the long term by keeping them.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum