Bolton Wanderers Fans Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Wandering Minds » General Election - 8th June.

General Election - 8th June.

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 15, 16, 17

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 17 of 17]

481 Re: General Election - 8th June. on Fri Jun 09 2017, 17:07

xmiles

Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
The BBC headline is May promising to provide "certainty".

Hilarious! This from the woman who repeatedly assured us she wouldn't call a snap election and denied she had done a u-turn on the dementia tax. The only certainty is that she has zero credibility and won't be the Tory leader when the next election is held.

482 Re: General Election - 8th June. on Fri Jun 09 2017, 19:28

Bread2.0

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
I love this.

483 Re: General Election - 8th June. on Fri Jun 09 2017, 19:51

wessy

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
I tip my hat to JC, i am a Labour member yet thought that is leadership would be a disaster. i agree i was wrong because i agreed with his policy choices and i now do agree Labour are back with a creditable alternative.

May can't survive this position the Tories will take her out, and another election looms probably within a few months. 

The difference now is the entire Labour family will come in behind Corbyn, he now looks like a leader (Then again so would Donald Duck against May) They have the policies to get into power, i think that the key is Scotland.

What a disgrace that Scotland yes bloody Scotland are propping up a Tory government through some misguided hope of a second referendum, if that is off the table then the Tories cannot repeat the level of seats attained north of the border. Bring it on

484 Re: General Election - 8th June. on Fri Jun 09 2017, 20:06

karlypants

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I think you mean Northern Ireland Wessy who are propping up the Tories!

485 Re: General Election - 8th June. on Fri Jun 09 2017, 20:08

y2johnny

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
I think he means because the snp votes, the majority would normally be labour.

http://Www.thefacefittester.co.uk

486 Re: General Election - 8th June. on Fri Jun 09 2017, 20:10

karlypants

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Ah ok. Fair enough Very Happy

487 Re: General Election - 8th June. on Fri Jun 09 2017, 20:16

Natasha Whittam

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Some of you need to get a grip. Labour lost. A distant second. Even with a useless Tory PM they still lost.

If the Tories had someone even half credible in charge they'd have won a huge majority.

Celebrating this Labour performance is a bit like cheering on the bloke knobing your missus.

488 Re: General Election - 8th June. on Fri Jun 09 2017, 20:29

y2johnny

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Haha.  Its called the bigger picture Nat.

78% of under 25s turned out to vote.  Imagine all age groups had the same turnout.

Corbyn was a lame duck before the snap election announcement.  Now it is May due to the credible performance Jeremy put in.

If former labour party members had backed him from the start like they are doing now things would of been massively different.

If tory led news agencies where banned from printing ridiculous fake news and propaganda, the gullible masses may have had to make an informed decision instead of basing it on the fact "Jezza loves terrorists!"

It will be a different story in 6 to 12 months.  You watch.  This i just the beginning.  I have no hard feelings.  I think he did everything he could with what he was given.  And the amount of people that ive talked too who have changed their opinion of him from the start of the election, for the better, is unbelievable.

http://Www.thefacefittester.co.uk

489 Re: General Election - 8th June. on Fri Jun 09 2017, 21:55

wessy

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
y2johnny wrote:I think he means because the snp votes, the majority would normally be labour.
Correct Johnny no conservative seats in Scotland at one point, then the hope of a second referendum meant tactical voting by the Scots, They actually wanted May to win well so that Scotland would be able to push for a second referendum.

The result = the Tories are  13 seats better off that would have finished off May
DUP in Ireand are extreme conservatives. very right wing they will screw May a totally different issue.

t

490 Re: General Election - 8th June. on Fri Jun 09 2017, 22:30

Fabians Right Peg

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
As much as labour may think they are on the up Corbyn is still there biggest liability, if they assume it was corbyn as an individual that changed things around for them then they could fail to grasp what all parties need to learn.

IMO what voters liked was some new policies, new ideas and I think that resonated with the young who are much less cautious, and Corbyn has to take credit for that.

What labour failed to do was get enough older voters to overcome there distrust of Corbyn and take a punt on a new path, and I genuinely think that Corbyn will struggle to overcome that hurdle.

491 Re: General Election - 8th June. on Fri Jun 09 2017, 22:31

boltonbonce

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

492 Re: General Election - 8th June. on Fri Jun 09 2017, 22:34

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Fabians Right Peg wrote:As much as labour may think they are on the up Corbyn is still there biggest liability, if they assume it was corbyn as an individual that changed things around for them then they could fail to grasp what all parties need to learn.

IMO what voters liked was some new policies, new ideas and I think that resonated with the young who are much less cautious, and Corbyn has to take credit for that.

What labour failed to do was get enough older voters to overcome there distrust of Corbyn and take a punt on a new path, and I genuinely think that Corbyn will struggle to overcome that hurdle.
Maybe but the election was fought on values not personalities. And aging daily mail readers are dying out.

493 Re: General Election - 8th June. on Fri Jun 09 2017, 22:36

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Exit polls were more or less right for a change

494 Re: General Election - 8th June. on Fri Jun 09 2017, 22:47

Fabians Right Peg

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
wanderlust wrote:
Maybe but the election was fought on values not personalities. And aging daily mail readers are dying out.
If you think that personalities didn't count as well as policies than you are fooling yourself, I voted on policies despite of the personalities although the personalities almost put me off voting altogether.

The demographic that labour needs to appeal to and always will need to win outright is middleclass England, not aging daily mail readers and Corbyn wasn't able to do that last night.

495 Re: General Election - 8th June. on Fri Jun 09 2017, 23:21

Sluffy

Admin
wanderlust wrote:Exit polls were more or less right for a change

Eh?

You making something up yet again?

Exit polls are renowned for being the best polls there are because they are taken AFTER people have ACTUALLY voted.

"The results of the past four elections have all been correctly predicted by the exit polls that have been released before the counting starts in each of the polls".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/08/general-election-exit-poll-accurate-could/

496 Re: General Election - 8th June. on Fri Jun 09 2017, 23:41

BoltonTillIDie

John McGinlay
John McGinlay
Didn't the exit polls suggest brexit wouldn't happen?

497 Re: General Election - 8th June. on Sat Jun 10 2017, 00:11

Sluffy

Admin
BoltonTillIDie wrote:Didn't the exit polls suggest brexit wouldn't happen?

There were no exit polls for Brexit.

Not the recognised ones used by the BBC anyway -

The exit polls at general elections, which are run for the BBC, ITV and Sky by Professor John Curtice of Strathclyde University, have built up a reputation for getting the result right over many election cycles
The polls work by asking people how they voted at sampling points across the country, and comparing that with surveys at the same places in the previous election. The changes can then be projected to build up a national picture. Last year [2015], the exit poll announced when the polls closed at 10pm put the Conservatives on 316 seats and Labour on 239: the Tories ended up winning 15 more and Labour seven fewer. 

However, there will be no exit poll published at 10pm when voting in the EU referendum closes because the broadcasters have no way of knowing how accurate it would be.

Prof Curtice and his team couldn’t do what they usually do, because the last referendum to compare today’s with was 41 years ago – and there wasn’t an exit poll then. There is, therefore, no baseline against which to measure how people have voted this time. 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-exit-poll-who-has-won-remain-leave-brexit-live-updates-a7094886.html

498 Re: General Election - 8th June. on Sat Jun 10 2017, 07:16

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Black is black

499 Re: General Election - 8th June. on Sat Jun 10 2017, 07:26

Bread2.0

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Do you want your baby back?

500 Re: General Election - 8th June. on Sat Jun 10 2017, 09:04

boltonbonce

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Chuka Umunna says he would consider accepting a role in a Corbyn led shadow cabinet. Razz

501 Re: General Election - 8th June. on Sat Jun 10 2017, 16:16

gloswhite

Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
All in all, it was a completely disjointed election, and this result was almost inevitable.
On the one hand we had a Tory PM who declared it was all about Brexit, and then stood back, took advice from two obviously inept advisors, whilst trying new, untried policies, that attacked her very own power base. Leaving all her media-savvy big guns at home was another very stupid option  A really poor performance, which resulted in a caning that she will never pull back from. Her poor performance can be put down to her 'shyness' to a very limited extent, but what really finished her off was her inability to make the right decisions, at all levels.
I have to give Corbyn his due. He based his arguments on what he thought was required for the UK, (knowing he wouldn't be involved in Brexit). He performed really well, However, I feel that his performance was enhanced as a result of May's piss poor performance. I genuinely believe he is a man of integrity, but he certainly isn't one I would have confidence in when it comes to discussing national issues, especially with foreign powers. Promising to pay everyone what they wanted is always a vote winner, but now things have calmed down, we can look back and wonder, did he really have the money? I don't think so myself, which would have led us into even more problems, but not in the immediate future. (It always feels good buying something, its when the bill/credit card comes in that you realise the real cost)
The Tories have been demanding sacrifices for too long, preferring to protect what they considered the financial heart of the economy, i.e. the high earning people and corporations, and not the real backbone of the country, us. However, they seemed to think that the National Debt had a higher priority than the well-being of the people. Having said that, I believe, and still do, that they are more capable of taking this country forward, than a splintered Labour Party.
Ever the optimist, I believe this outcome could be made to work for the country, including the political awareness of the younger generation coming into play. (I'm fed up being blamed for everything that happens, both in the past, and now, purely because of my age). 
One benefit could be that we won't have a take it or leave it Brexit approach, but the danger lies in that our negotiations are watered down by differing views of those who I feel will now be included. I just hope we don't give too much away to the EU in our attempts to get clear of all this turmoil.
There is no one reason for all this mess we are ALL in, but keeping the parties apart at a time when we need to move forward as a nation, seems to me, a ludicrous option. There are good politicians/negotiators across the board, and we need to use their experience, and connections, (even Farage). Unfortunately, the two main players in our future are both far right and far left, although the message being sent to them by the people is that we not only want, but need, a more middling, united, approach.
I think we will see new attitudes once the dust has settled, preferably beneficial, when the squabbling subsides, (and I dearly want to see Emily Thornberry and Diane Abbot disappear into the background.) Very Happy

502 Re: General Election - 8th June. on Sat Jun 10 2017, 16:40

Angry Dad

Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
:good:
gloswhite wrote:All in all, it was a completely disjointed election, and this result was almost inevitable.
On the one hand we had a Tory PM who declared it was all about Brexit, and then stood back, took advice from two obviously inept advisors, whilst trying new, untried policies, that attacked her very own power base. Leaving all her media-savvy big guns at home was another very stupid option  A really poor performance, which resulted in a caning that she will never pull back from. Her poor performance can be put down to her 'shyness' to a very limited extent, but what really finished her off was her inability to make the right decisions, at all levels.
I have to give Corbyn his due. He based his arguments on what he thought was required for the UK, (knowing he wouldn't be involved in Brexit). He performed really well, However, I feel that his performance was enhanced as a result of May's piss poor performance. I genuinely believe he is a man of integrity, but he certainly isn't one I would have confidence in when it comes to discussing national issues, especially with foreign powers. Promising to pay everyone what they wanted is always a vote winner, but now things have calmed down, we can look back and wonder, did he really have the money? I don't think so myself, which would have led us into even more problems, but not in the immediate future. (It always feels good buying something, its when the bill/credit card comes in that you realise the real cost)
The Tories have been demanding sacrifices for too long, preferring to protect what they considered the financial heart of the economy, i.e. the high earning people and corporations, and not the real backbone of the country, us. However, they seemed to think that the National Debt had a higher priority than the well-being of the people. Having said that, I believe, and still do, that they are more capable of taking this country forward, than a splintered Labour Party.
Ever the optimist, I believe this outcome could be made to work for the country, including the political awareness of the younger generation coming into play. (I'm fed up being blamed for everything that happens, both in the past, and now, purely because of my age). 
One benefit could be that we won't have a take it or leave it Brexit approach, but the danger lies in that our negotiations are watered down by differing views of those who I feel will now be included. I just hope we don't give too much away to the EU in our attempts to get clear of all this turmoil.
There is no one reason for all this mess we are ALL in, but keeping the parties apart at a time when we need to move forward as a nation, seems to me, a ludicrous option. There are good politicians/negotiators across the board, and we need to use their experience, and connections, (even Farage). Unfortunately, the two main players in our future are both far right and far left, although the message being sent to them by the people is that we not only want, but need, a more middling, united, approach.
I think we will see new attitudes once the dust has settled, preferably beneficial, when the squabbling subsides, (and I dearly want to see Emily Thornberry and Diane Abbot disappear into the background.) Very Happy
:good:

503 Re: General Election - 8th June. on Sat Jun 10 2017, 16:48

Angry Dad

Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
I'm still laughing at the plank thinking he won 262 to 318 and wanting to form a govt :rofl:

504 Re: General Election - 8th June. on Sat Jun 10 2017, 16:58

boltonbonce

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Angry Dad wrote:I'm still laughing at the plank thinking he won 262 to 318 and wanting to form a govt :rofl:
It's simple.

505 Re: General Election - 8th June. on Sat Jun 10 2017, 17:05

Cajunboy

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
Angry Dad wrote:I'm still laughing at the plank thinking he won 262 to 318 and wanting to form a govt :rofl:
The Labour Party have never been good at maths.

Ask Diane Abbott.

506 Re: General Election - 8th June. on Sat Jun 10 2017, 17:11

xmiles

Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
Cajunboy wrote:
The Labour Party have never been good at maths.

Ask Diane Abbott.

Yes they should have adopted the Tory method of offering no figures or details at all and then claim the opposition policies are not properly costed.

507 Re: General Election - 8th June. on Sat Jun 10 2017, 18:11

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
maths huh?

So 120 seat majority to give mayday a mandate to f*** us up even more than Cameron foolishly did MINUS reality EQUALS complete and utter Tory meltdown

Or...

A much improved and vibrant economy with a strong pound PLUS two years of Tory government EQUALS the most disastrous tenure for Britain since thatcher sold off our natural resources to the Americans and destroyed our industrial base.

Stacks up for me.

508 Re: General Election - 8th June. on Sat Jun 10 2017, 20:09

Cajunboy

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
So much anger.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 17 of 17]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 15, 16, 17

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum