Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton 1-0 Sunderland

+17
rammywhite
Kane57
y2johnny
Leeds_Trotter
DEANO82
observer
gloswhite
Jizadine
boltonbonce
Norpig
finlaymcdanger
Boggersbelief
Sluffy
Natasha Whittam
Cajunboy
wanderlust
MartinBWFC
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 7]

101Bolton 1-0 Sunderland - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Sunderland Wed Feb 21 2018, 14:20

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I know what you mean about safety. If I don't have my usual lift to the game,I have to catch the Macron bus from Leigh bus station.
Fine and dandy on a Saturday afternoon,but night matches are problematic. Waiting in Leigh bus station at getting on for 11pm,for the bus back to Warrington,isn't something I'd recommend.
I've been threatened on more than one occasion,and I'm getting too old for punch ups.

102Bolton 1-0 Sunderland - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Sunderland Wed Feb 21 2018, 14:46

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

It was the growing fear (probably unfounded) for my own safety that was the straw that broke the camels back in me going to games anymore.

I was obviously not as young as I used to be and although I kept myself to myself it only would take one nutjob to put me in hospital if they had a mind to.

One of the last games I attended was a Charlton game at their place.

I got a ticket from Charlton's ticket office and told them I was an away team fan but was in my fifties and was there to watch the match not cause bother.

During the game though there was an old bloke sat near to me that must have picked up that I wasn't cheering Charlton on and challenged me to being a Bolton fan.

There was nothing much to say other than that I was here for the match and wasn't looking for trouble - he went absolutely crazy!

Luckily for me his sons were with him and held him back - they even swopped seats with him to put themselves between me and him.

As the game went on he started going even more mental and his sons (in their forties I would guess) told me to shift.  Other Charlton fans started to chip in too.

I told them that their club put me in the seat I was (side of the pitch with the Bolton fans to my left behind the goals - although I was sat much nearer to the other goals), AFTER I told them I was an away fan and told me that I would be completely safe amongst the spectators they seated me with as there was never any trouble from that part of the ground - I made the last bit of all that up but it seemed to calm them down.  Someone said they would check it with a steward and I told them to go ahead because the first bit about being an away fan before them selling me the ticket was true.

The old bloke still carried on and in the end his kids started to get nasty too because I wouldn't leave - there was nowhere to leave to other than out of the ground.

I was later told that the old bloke had kicked off with another away fan sat in the same seat as me a few games back - so I guess he was looking out for whoever sat there.

I hung back after the game because I figured at their age they would be too old to be waiting for a fight and that if I left at the same time they would keep on and somebody somewhere along the way would give me a slap.

Not what I wanted at my age and although I did go to a few more games after that it really had killed the final enjoyment in going to games alone for me anymore.

103Bolton 1-0 Sunderland - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Sunderland Wed Feb 21 2018, 14:56

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

You've got your work cut out dealing with us most of the time. Razz

104Bolton 1-0 Sunderland - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Sunderland Wed Feb 21 2018, 15:03

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Away matches can be tricky if you're travelling alone, but it depends on which ground you're visiting. There are many I've been to where I've been made to feel really welcome and on one occasion when my mate who had the tickets was delayed, a steward got me a seat with the home fans and refused to accept any payment. Respect.

105Bolton 1-0 Sunderland - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Sunderland Wed Feb 21 2018, 15:10

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

boltonbonce wrote:You've got your work cut out dealing with us most of the time. Razz

Well it did demonstrate that I still had the balls to stare down people abusing me to my face, so if I could do that then I could handle a bit of abuse on a forum without being too bothered.

And most people do tend to get on with me in the end - and me with them - so modding Nuts is a bit of a pleasure and an honour mostly.

106Bolton 1-0 Sunderland - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Sunderland Wed Feb 21 2018, 15:14

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Sluffy wrote:It was the growing fear (probably unfounded) for my own safety that was the straw that broke the camels back in me going to games anymore.

I was obviously not as young as I used to be and although I kept myself to myself it only would take one nutjob to put me in hospital if they had a mind to.

One of the last games I attended was a Charlton game at their place.

I got a ticket from Charlton's ticket office and told them I was an away team fan but was in my fifties and was there to watch the match not cause bother.

During the game though there was an old bloke sat near to me that must have picked up that I wasn't cheering Charlton on and challenged me to being a Bolton fan.

There was nothing much to say other than that I was here for the match and wasn't looking for trouble - he went absolutely crazy!

Luckily for me his sons were with him and held him back - they even swopped seats with him to put themselves between me and him.

As the game went on he started going even more mental and his sons (in their forties I would guess) told me to shift.  Other Charlton fans started to chip in too.

I told them that their club put me in the seat I was (side of the pitch with the Bolton fans to my left behind the goals - although I was sat much nearer to the other goals), AFTER I told them I was an away fan and told me that I would be completely safe amongst the spectators they seated me with as there was never any trouble from that part of the ground - I made the last bit of all that up but it seemed to calm them down.  Someone said they would check it with a steward and I told them to go ahead because the first bit about being an away fan before them selling me the ticket was true.

The old bloke still carried on and in the end his kids started to get nasty too because I wouldn't leave - there was nowhere to leave to other than out of the ground.

I was later told that the old bloke had kicked off with another away fan sat in the same seat as me a few games back - so I guess he was looking out for whoever sat there.

I hung back after the game because I figured at their age they would be too old to be waiting for a fight and that if I left at the same time they would keep on and somebody somewhere along the way would give me a slap.

Not what I wanted at my age and although I did go to a few more games after that it really had killed the final enjoyment in going to games alone for me anymore.

Sad to hear about your experience at Charlton. I've been there a few times and not experienced any problem (apart from watching us lose of course). I've even been to Millwall a few times although obviously one has to keep a low profile and keep pretty quiet amongst the home fans.

107Bolton 1-0 Sunderland - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Sunderland Wed Feb 21 2018, 15:17

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I can relate to that stuffy. Some years ago when Wanderers and Barnsley were neck and neck at the top of the old div 1 (not PL) I went to Oakwell with my Barnsley mates as there was a spare seat next to them. I seem to recall being either 1-0 or 2-0 up at half time though the game finished drawn. I wasn't stupid enough to be cheering our goals but as I was chatting and bantering with my mates about it an elderly woman must have gleaned, as with your old man, that I was an away supporter. Like your situation, her constant complaining riled others, insisting I shouldn't be sitting there. I tried to remind them that I had paid money into their club's coffers but she was unmoved. Fortunately there were enough of us with my Barnsley mates for it not to be a worry physically but it does spoil your enjoyment when your constantly being vilified. Sadly that's the world we live in but it's pretty pathetic when you can't sit and chat to supporters of other clubs and just talk about the game. Like you Sluffy, I'm happy to acknowledge the better points of the other side and accept defeat gracefully if necessary. Sadly at the moment I seem to have more disagreements with our own fans under this Neanderthal excuse for a manager we're enduring, but that's another story altogether!!

108Bolton 1-0 Sunderland - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Sunderland Wed Feb 21 2018, 15:18

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:Away matches can be tricky if you're travelling alone, but it depends on which ground you're visiting. There are many I've been to where I've been made to feel really welcome and on one occasion when my mate who had the tickets was delayed, a steward got me a seat with the home fans and refused to accept any payment. Respect.

Charlton had at that time a great reputation as being a friendly and welcoming club.

It only takes one nut job to spoil everything.

If I was twenty years younger I'd probably still be going and thinking nothing of it but there does come a time for us all when it physically (and possibly even mentally in my case) becomes not worth it anymore.

You enjoy whatever games you have left to attend before you are confined to your armchair permanently for matches.

109Bolton 1-0 Sunderland - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Sunderland Wed Feb 21 2018, 15:26

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Whitesince63 wrote:I can relate to that stuffy. Some years ago when Wanderers and Barnsley were neck and neck at the top of the old div 1 (not PL) I went to Oakwell with my Barnsley mates as there was a spare seat next to them. I seem to recall being either 1-0 or 2-0 up at half time though the game finished drawn. I wasn't stupid enough to be cheering our goals but as I was chatting and bantering with my mates about it an elderly woman must have gleaned, as with your old man, that I was an away supporter. Like your situation, her constant complaining riled others, insisting I shouldn't be sitting there. I tried to remind them that I had paid money into their club's coffers but she was unmoved. Fortunately there were enough of us with my Barnsley mates for it not to be a worry physically but it does spoil your enjoyment when your constantly being vilified. Sadly that's the world we live in but it's pretty pathetic when you can't sit and chat to supporters of other clubs and just talk about the game. Like you Sluffy, I'm happy to acknowledge the better points of the other side and accept defeat gracefully if necessary. Sadly at the moment I seem to have more disagreements with our own fans under this Neanderthal excuse for a manager we're enduring, but that's another story altogether!!

Cheers for that 63.

You find nut jobs everywhere I guess.

I've been reading some of your posts on the Bolton News comments (and the TF site) and you would be more than welcome to express them on here too - you used to at one time (and if I recall correctly an old mate you had that once posted and received a ban - has long since served his suspension and is free to post also if they would like).

Hope you/both do as all views are welcomed on here.

110Bolton 1-0 Sunderland - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Sunderland Wed Feb 21 2018, 15:35

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Only had a couple of hairy moments away from home.
One was at Forest,where we were playing an FA Cuo tie,and some Forest supporters decided it'd be a good idea to chuck us off the bridge and into the Trent. We escaped. Just. And we lost 4-2.
The other was Plymouth. We left Burnden at midnight,and I threw up  into my duffle bag as soon as we arrived at our destination.
As we were well early we decided to go to Plymouth zoo,which was tiny,to pass an hour.
I hadn't been in there five minutes,before I was attacked by a pelican,which was roaming about as if it owned the place. I beat a hasty retreat,only to be followed by the beaky bastard at some considerable speed.
I was then cornered by a member of staff who told me in no uncertain terms,that I wasn't to alarm the exhibits.
I think I came close to strangling him. By this time my feathered assailant had gone off to find another victim,and I was left wondering if the place kept any big cats,and if they were safely under lock and key.
Oh,and we won 2-1.

111Bolton 1-0 Sunderland - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Sunderland Wed Feb 21 2018, 15:38

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

xmiles wrote:
Sad to hear about your experience at Charlton. I've been there a few times and not experienced any problem (apart from watching us lose of course). I've even been to Millwall a few times although obviously one has to keep a low profile and keep pretty quiet amongst the home fans.

Cheers mate.

I've done Leeds United at Millwall back in the seventies - down at the 'old' Den down Cold Blow Lane - that was an experience!

I'd been to Charlton home games many times, including before they left The Valley, their stay at Selhurst and their return to the Valley and enjoyed everyone of them.

If I'd been twenty years younger I would probably laughed off my last visit there but there comes a time I guess when you get older and start to feel vulnerable and no longer think things are worth what they once were.

Just a part of growing old I guess.

112Bolton 1-0 Sunderland - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Sunderland Wed Feb 21 2018, 15:46

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

If I knew how to add a further comment to your Sluffy I would but being a computer Luddite I'll just post again!

Yes, not been on here for some time but interesting to see yourself and some of the old names are still here. I'm getting a few pelters on the BN site from some regular criticism of Parky who I'd bin tomorrow. I won't contaminate your site with those views, I promise, but it's difficult after all these years watching Whites to see such dross and to me incompetence week in week out. Yes, I could stop going but then I feel in a way Parky will have won and I intend to be there long after he's gone wherever we are in the tables. Been down before but hope not to go there again. Still, footballs a game of opinions and I fully accept those of others who think under the circumstances he's done a decent job. Sadly, I think he's created many of those circumstances himself, though again that's just my view. Good to hear from you again anyway and if I don't upset too many might stick around a bit longer!!!

113Bolton 1-0 Sunderland - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Sunderland Wed Feb 21 2018, 15:56

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

63 - good football and relegation, or awful football and stay up?

Which would you choose?

114Bolton 1-0 Sunderland - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Sunderland Wed Feb 21 2018, 16:01

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Whitesince63 wrote:If I knew how to add a further comment to your Sluffy I would but being a computer Luddite I'll just post again!

Yes, not been on here for some time but interesting to see yourself and some of the old names are still here. I'm getting a few pelters on the BN site from some regular criticism of Parky who I'd bin tomorrow. I won't contaminate your site with those views, I promise, but it's difficult after all these years watching Whites to see such dross and to me incompetence week in week out. Yes, I could stop going but then I feel in a way Parky will have won and I intend to be there long after he's gone wherever we are in the tables. Been down before but hope not to go there again. Still, footballs a game of opinions and I fully accept those of others who think under the circumstances he's done a decent job. Sadly, I think he's created many of those circumstances himself, though again that's just my view. Good to hear from you again anyway and if I don't upset too many might stick around a bit longer!!!

To quote you just click on the 'Quote' button at the bottom of the post you want to reply to - and simply remember to post what you want AFTER the last thing that looks like this [/quote] otherwise what you post will become part of the quote you are copying.

Once you've typed what you want you can press the Preview button to see what it looks like (and modify it if you have got it not quite right). Once you are happy just press the Send button as usual.

I/we would be delighted for you to post your views of Parkinson - I don't share them myself but there are certainly a few on here that do.

I've always thought you were a good poster from the many posts I've seen of yours about over the years and would love you to join in more with us on Nuts if you would like.

The more the merrier - and better for us all really.

Hope you do.

115Bolton 1-0 Sunderland - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Sunderland Wed Feb 21 2018, 16:02

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

63 and Martin will get along famously  Very Happy

116Bolton 1-0 Sunderland - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Sunderland Wed Feb 21 2018, 16:03

Be more specific 63, which circumstances are of his own making?

117Bolton 1-0 Sunderland - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Sunderland Wed Feb 21 2018, 16:05

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Jesus lads, at least ease him in gently before you get on his case.

He is allowed to have an opinion different to yours you know.

Very Happy

118Bolton 1-0 Sunderland - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Sunderland Wed Feb 21 2018, 16:08

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

What size slippers does he take?

119Bolton 1-0 Sunderland - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Sunderland Wed Feb 21 2018, 16:08

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm torn on Parky to be honest. On one hand he has to be applauded for getting us up last season when no one expected it and he's given us a chance of staying up now after a dreadful start.
He's had no money to spend and our only half decent striker has been sold and not replaced but he does drive me mad with his route one tactics and general negative approach to games.

120Bolton 1-0 Sunderland - Page 6 Empty Re: Bolton 1-0 Sunderland Wed Feb 21 2018, 17:03

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Sluffy wrote:
xmiles wrote:

Cheers mate.

I've done Leeds United at Millwall back in the seventies - down at the 'old' Den down Cold Blow Lane - that was an experience!

I'd been to Charlton home games many times, including before they left The Valley, their stay at Selhurst and their return to the Valley and enjoyed everyone of them.

If I'd been twenty years younger I would probably laughed off my last visit there but there comes a time I guess when you get older and start to feel vulnerable and no longer think things are worth what they once were.

Just a part of growing old I guess.

Yes it was the old Den I visited - quite an intimidating place and completely unlike the Valley. The Valley was so massive that you could pick your own spot to stand. I remember one game very vividly. April 1977 and a Friday night game. We were deservedly one nil up and heading for promotion. Very late in the game we got a throw in but the ref penalised us for time wasting and gave Charlton a free kick. The ball was lofted into our penalty area and one of their players blatantly punched the ball into the net. Everybody in the ground could see it apart from the ref. The Charlton players didn't even congratulate their "scorer" and theire was very little applause. I could see it and I was a long way away near the top of the Valley! I even saw a match report the following day where the Charlton keeper said he had seen it! That equaliser probably cost us promotion that year.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum