Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The 'N' word.

+8
okocha
wanderlust
Angry Dad
Bollotom2014
Keegan
Cajunboy
BoltonTillIDie
Norpig
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1The 'N' word. Empty The 'N' word. Thu Aug 06 2020, 15:14

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53676557

Whenever people use the phrase 'The 'N' word', we all know what they're talking about, so why are we all so terrified of saying it out loud. We're not children.
The 'F' word, the 'C' word, what the hell is going on?
If it's what was said, do your 'F word' ing jobs and say so.

2The 'N' word. Empty Re: The 'N' word. Thu Aug 06 2020, 15:30

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

boltonbonce wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53676557

Whenever people use the phrase 'The 'N' word', we all know what they're talking about, so why are we all so terrified of saying it out loud. We're not children.
The 'F' word, the 'C' word, what the hell is going on?
If it's what was said, do your 'F word' ing jobs and say so.

It goes back to the elephant in the room syndrome - the fear of being labelled a racist.

As I understood it (maybe I'm wrong) but I thought the BBC did do their job and did report what was said - and it's members of the public who have complained they did?

3The 'N' word. Empty Re: The 'N' word. Thu Aug 06 2020, 15:37

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It is a deeply offensive word that I don't want to hear again in my lifetime so I can understand folk complaining about it. Sure we know what it refers to but that doesn't mean there's any need to say it.

However in this case the complaints were against the BBC for reporting that it had been used in a racially-motivated attack - and the victim's family had requested that it should be used in the report in order to underline the severity and motive of the attack.
That comes across as shooting the messenger.

4The 'N' word. Empty Re: The 'N' word. Thu Aug 06 2020, 15:38

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:

It goes back to the elephant in the room syndrome - the fear of being labelled a racist.

As I understood it (maybe I'm wrong) but I thought the BBC did do their job and did report what was said - and it's members of the public who have complained they did?

That's the problem. The tail is wagging the dog.

5The 'N' word. Empty Re: The 'N' word. Thu Aug 06 2020, 15:42

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Trouble is Bonce in the times we live in there will always be someone waiting to complain about such things. Also the N word, even more so now, is one that us white people dare not say. Its seen as only to be used in the black community and even then is still controversial.

The N word is horrible, it was sprayed on the George Floyd mural in Manchester a few weeks ago. It's been sorted now but it is still shocking.

6The 'N' word. Empty Re: The 'N' word. Thu Aug 06 2020, 16:06

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

7The 'N' word. Empty Re: The 'N' word. Thu Aug 06 2020, 16:23

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Razz

8The 'N' word. Empty Re: The 'N' word. Thu Aug 06 2020, 18:17

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

What about all the songs which feature the N word?

9The 'N' word. Empty Re: The 'N' word. Thu Aug 06 2020, 18:22

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:
That's the problem. The tail is wagging the dog.
The tail is certainly wagging the dog in so many things.

As Bob Hope said    " I'm leaving LA before it becomes compulsory to be gay."

10The 'N' word. Empty Re: The 'N' word. Thu Aug 06 2020, 18:26

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Cajunboy wrote:
The tail is certainly wagging the dog in so many things.

As Bob Hope said    " I'm leaving LA before it becomes compulsory to be gay."
Very Happy

11The 'N' word. Empty Re: The 'N' word. Thu Aug 06 2020, 19:55

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

I thought this was a thread discussing Nathan Delfouneso - but then again, you still could be.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

12The 'N' word. Empty Re: The 'N' word. Thu Aug 06 2020, 20:06

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Keegan wrote:I thought this was a thread discussing Nathan Delfouneso - but then again, you still could be.

I don't think we are the type to be doing that on here and I don't think you are the type to have stuck around all this time if we were!

The sad thing is that nobody is born racist, it is something that is learned from others behaviour.

Maybe one day things will change for the better but I very much doubt I'll still be around to see it.

13The 'N' word. Empty Re: The 'N' word. Thu Aug 06 2020, 20:52

Things are already changing for the better, and must have done massively in your lifetime Sluffy. Nothing will ever be perfect I’m sure.

14The 'N' word. Empty Re: The 'N' word. Thu Aug 06 2020, 21:03

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The n-word has a long and ugly history in the United States, so it came as no surprise that it would be a topic of discussion on ABC's "The View." The true head-turner came in the form of co-host Whoopi Goldberg and guest, CNN anchor Don Lemon, arguing in favor of the racial epithet being said in full on air. "I hate saying 'the n-word,'" Lemon said. "I think it takes the value out of what that word really means. Especially when we're reporting it." CNN made headlines this week when correspondent Susan Candiotti quoted the word during a report on three African American men who were shot to death in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Candiotti quoted a post from the shooting suspect's Facebook page, which included the words "f—ing [n-word]."

While Lemon added that he hates the usage of the word in music and when it's used for misogynistic purposes, Whoopi echoed his sentiments on Tuesday's episode. Goldberg said that using the term "n-word" makes the word sound "cute." Co-host Barbara Walters, who has clashed with her colleagues over the word in the past, even agreed with Goldberg's response, saying, "If I were quoting somebody else, and it's intrinsic to what the person was saying, then you have to be able to say it."

https://www.ebony.com/news/should-journalists-be-allowed-to-say-the-n-word/

15The 'N' word. Empty Re: The 'N' word. Thu Aug 06 2020, 23:09

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

T.R.O.Y. wrote:Things are already changing for the better, and must have done massively in your lifetime Sluffy. Nothing will ever be perfect I’m sure.

Education and integration is the key.

Unfortunately not everybody wants that.

As long as they don't (from both sides I mean, racism/religion isn't just a one way street) then there will always be a problem handed down from generation to generation.

Women aren't even treated equally to men yet let alone blacks and whites being equal to each other.

Sunni and Shia's don't see eye to eye let alone Muslims and Christians.

Things have changed over the years, that is true and there isn't the overt racism anymore (not in this country at least) but there still is 'us' and 'them' mentality and that's always going to be deep rooted as long as 'us' and 'them's' exit.

Maybe over time we will get closer to each other but I don't think that will be achieved anytime soon, unfortunately.

16The 'N' word. Empty Re: The 'N' word. Fri Aug 07 2020, 10:46

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Never going to happen.

17The 'N' word. Empty Re: The 'N' word. Fri Aug 07 2020, 10:57

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It took 500 years for Protestants and Catholics to stop warring in this country and those prejudices still smoulder in parts of the UK - but it's a lot better than it used to be so there's hope, especially as change is occurring now faster than it ever has.
Racism may be a learned behaviour but with modern technology, upcoming generations are seeing a much wider range of perspectives rather than just learning from their parents and local community. Change is inevitable IMO.

18The 'N' word. Empty Re: The 'N' word. Fri Aug 07 2020, 11:19

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

wanderlust wrote:It took 500 years for Protestants and Catholics to stop warring in this country and those prejudices still smoulder in parts of the UK - but it's a lot better than it used to be so there's hope, especially as change is occurring now faster than it ever has.
Racism may be a learned behaviour but with modern technology, upcoming generations are seeing a much wider range of perspectives rather than just learning from their parents and local community. Change is inevitable IMO.
If we project far enough in the future, we will all be coffee coloured, speaking one language, with the odd racial trait here and there. To be honest, its not a future I would like to see. I also believe that the nature of the beast is that we are a race that will be forever arguing and fighting, and this won't change whilst we look different to one another, and pursue different religions. Our only hope is that we tone down the actual fighting.

19The 'N' word. Empty Re: The 'N' word. Fri Aug 07 2020, 11:51

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:
If we project far enough in the future, we will all be coffee coloured, speaking one language, with the odd racial trait here and there. To be honest, its not a future I would like to see. I also believe that the nature of the beast is that we are a race that will be forever arguing and fighting, and this won't change whilst we look different to one another, and pursue different religions. Our only hope is that we tone down the actual fighting.
I'm not arsed about skin colour or religion but what is clear is that the human race needs to come together and act in a unified way to head off overpopulation and the ecological destruction of the planet that is looming large.
Frankly I'd be surprised if the species lasts more than another 100 years at the rate we're going so all this is irrelevant if the Earth becomes uninhabitable.
Obviously Elon Musk's descendants and a handful of other billionaire's offspring will still have some form of shit existence on the Moon or Mars but that wouldn't be a life worth living anyway.

20The 'N' word. Empty Re: The 'N' word. Fri Aug 07 2020, 12:25

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

wanderlust wrote:
I'm not arsed about skin colour or religion but what is clear is that the human race needs to come together and act in a unified way to head off overpopulation and the ecological destruction of the planet that is looming large.
Frankly I'd be surprised if the species lasts more than another 100 years at the rate we're going so all this is irrelevant if the Earth becomes uninhabitable.
Obviously Elon Musk's descendants and a handful of other billionaire's offspring will still have some form of shit existence on the Moon or Mars but that wouldn't be a life worth living anyway.
A truly dismal view, but, unfortunately, you have it spot on, or as near as dammit, in my view.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum