Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The 'N' word.

+8
okocha
wanderlust
Angry Dad
Bollotom2014
Keegan
Cajunboy
BoltonTillIDie
Norpig
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

21The 'N' word. - Page 2 Empty Re: The 'N' word. Fri Aug 07 2020, 19:14

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Sluffy wrote:

I don't think we are the type to be doing that on here and I don't think you are the type to have stuck around all this time if we were...

I was being tongue in cheek, there. I believe context has a part to play in the use of the word and that there is no point in preventing someone from calling me an N-word if they are going to treat me like one anyway. It's behaviours that need to change, not language.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

22The 'N' word. - Page 2 Empty Re: The 'N' word. Fri Aug 07 2020, 19:38

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I like that Keegan, 100% agree.

23The 'N' word. - Page 2 Empty Re: The 'N' word. Fri Aug 07 2020, 19:52

Bollotom2014

Bollotom2014
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

As some know, I am in the Royal Air Force and went on a secondment to RAF Scampton where the Dambusters, 617 Squadron, were based. Guy Gibson's dog, named N*****, was buried on the station with a suitable plaque. It has now been removed and replaced with another plaque, The gravestone now pays tribute to a "Black Labrador dog mascot of the RAF’s 617 squadron."
 The original name was removed. I don't know if this is sweeping history under the rug and though I would never use the word myself I can see and accept a time in history when it was an everyday word.

24The 'N' word. - Page 2 Empty Re: The 'N' word. Fri Aug 07 2020, 20:07

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Keegan wrote:
Sluffy wrote:

I don't think we are the type to be doing that on here and I don't think you are the type to have stuck around all this time if we were...

I was being tongue in cheek, there. I believe context has a part to play in the use of the word and that there is no point in preventing someone from calling me an N-word if they are going to treat me like one anyway. It's behaviours that need to change, not language.

Absolutely.

But what has happened is that language and speech have been 'muzzled' see Bollotom's post above - because no one wants to be seen to be racist - and the behaviour has not in some/many cases.

You need to change culture (the way we do things around here) to change behaviour.

Some/many don't want to change.

And the problem will remain until everyone does.

25The 'N' word. - Page 2 Empty Re: The 'N' word. Fri Aug 07 2020, 23:36

Personally, I think it’s fair enough that people don’t want to read/hear/see a word with such negative history around it. Doesn’t offend me to hear it, but it’s not up to me to decide what others are offended by. That’s subjective.

26The 'N' word. - Page 2 Empty Re: The 'N' word. Sat Aug 08 2020, 01:25

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If folk don't behave like racists they need not fear being considered a racist so it shouldn't be an issue.

27The 'N' word. - Page 2 Empty Re: The 'N' word. Sat Aug 08 2020, 08:56

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

I'll bloody well say what i like and i'll bloody well like what i say.

28The 'N' word. - Page 2 Empty Re: The 'N' word. Sat Aug 08 2020, 08:57

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Angry Dad wrote:I'll bloody well say what i like and i'll bloody well like what i say.
You sound like a Yorkshireman AD. Very Happy

29The 'N' word. - Page 2 Empty Re: The 'N' word. Sat Aug 08 2020, 13:05

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:
You sound like a Yorkshireman AD. Very Happy
Can we have a separate thread for the "Y" word?

30The 'N' word. - Page 2 Empty Re: The 'N' word. Sat Aug 08 2020, 13:41

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Chinks, Krauts, Frogs, Poms...are these offensive to anybody? Not in the same league as the N word?

31The 'N' word. - Page 2 Empty Re: The 'N' word. Sat Aug 08 2020, 13:57

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

okocha wrote:Chinks, Krauts, Frogs, Poms...are these offensive to anybody? Not in the same league as the N word?

If the persons on the end of them feel they are offensive then they are.

But how far do you go along this road?

If you call someone fat, ginger, four eyes, wobblies (slang for disables apparently), lanky streak of piss, midget, mussies, etc, etc, then they are by the same definition also.

Ideally we should all live in peace and harmony with each other but that's never going to happen anytime soon, so how do you get people to see others beyond the colour, religion, body shape, disability, etc, etc?

I've no answer but by stopping the use of such terms by means of peer pressure/acceptable social norms would be a good start but I can't see that happening anytime soon either unfortunately.

32The 'N' word. - Page 2 Empty Re: The 'N' word. Sat Aug 08 2020, 14:14

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Does anyone remember The Spastics Society? Now known as Scope, they used to collect donations in our local area.
It was only ever used as a derogatory term in my youth, and has rightly been replaced.

Last edited by boltonbonce on Sat Aug 08 2020, 16:22; edited 1 time in total

33The 'N' word. - Page 2 Empty Re: The 'N' word. Sat Aug 08 2020, 16:10

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

boltonbonce wrote: and has rightly been replaced....
.....by cretin?

34The 'N' word. - Page 2 Empty Re: The 'N' word. Sat Aug 08 2020, 18:49

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

35The 'N' word. - Page 2 Empty Re: The 'N' word. Sat Aug 08 2020, 22:22

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Excellent

36The 'N' word. - Page 2 Empty Re: The 'N' word. Sun Aug 09 2020, 17:09

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I wonder how many of the complaints were from people with stacks of music by arseholes like Kanye West and Cardi B who can't seem to get through a track without casually slipping it in there.

Absolutely agree that 'N' is a vile word, but it can't be right that one person can have their career destroyed for saying it when so many people just use it willy nilly in their music which then gets sold and lauded by the media.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum