Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Beckford

+14
terenceanne
Culcheth_White
MartinBWFC
Sluffy
Boggersbelief
scottjames30
Reebok_Rebel
Hipster_Nebula
Natasha Whittam
xmiles
wanderlust
Norpig
Triumph
BoltonTillIDie
18 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1Beckford  Empty Beckford Wed Jul 03 2013, 08:10

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

DOUGIE Freedman has backed Jermaine Beckford to rediscover his golden touch after sealing a £1million move to Wanderers.

Even though the Jamaica international has struggled for form in the last few seasons, Freedman reckons his new signing arrives at the Reebok looking to silence his doubters.

Whereas the 29-year-old was once the talking point of English football after smashing 85 goals in three seasons with Leeds United, less prolific spells at Everton and Leicester City have seen him fall into a slump.

But Freedman – who played alongside Beckford at Elland Road – believes Wanderers are the right club to reignite the striker’s passion.

“I know his character, I know he has this up-and-down thought process and if things are not quite going right, that can come across in his performances. But that’s right up my street to be honest with you,” he said.

“Jermaine has lost that fantastic goalscoring record he had before and he has got a point to prove. He doesn’t need to prove anything to me because I know he has the bit between his teeth.”

Beckford has spent two years with Leicester after being bought for £3million by Sven-Goran Eriksson but slumped under the Swede’s successor Nigel Pearson and spent months of last season on loan at Huddersfield.

He had got into double figures in an injury-plagued spell in the Premier League with Everton prior to his Leicester move, and Freedman reckons his eagerness to join Bolton on a two-year deal – reportedly on half of his salary at the King Power Stadium – shows a player hungry to revive his career.

“In the summer I told his this wonderful club is going somewhere,” he said. “If he wants to be part of it, come and talk to me. He was on holiday and literally straight after landing he was here to speak.

“He maybe needs to prove to himself he can still score goals.

“He went to Everton, there were ups and downs, and you’ll get that working in a big squad, but he scored 10 goals.

“Since then it’s been mixed – but he chose the wrong move going to Leicester. He’ll tell you that and we’ve all done it in our careers.

“I played with him at Leeds so I know exactly what he is all about. I just need to see that sparkle in his eye that he wants to prove something to himself and I think we’ll benefit from that.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2Beckford  Empty Re: Beckford Wed Jul 03 2013, 08:16

Triumph

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Its always nice when you get a players that want to play for us, could he be the new Anelka?

3Beckford  Empty Re: Beckford Wed Jul 03 2013, 08:53

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

the squad is coming together nicely now, just need a new centre half and maybe one more wide man and we will have the makings of a good squad.If Dougie is looking to play 2 holding midfielders we could possibly do with another as well.

4Beckford  Empty Re: Beckford Wed Jul 03 2013, 08:58

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's also nice to get a player "with something to prove". That worked when we bought Jay Jay and Campo etc who had all had career slumps before coming to us. Beckford isn't in the same league as those guys but at least he'll be trying to do his best.

And again - more evidence that Dougie is astute in the transfer market - a £3mill player for £1 mill AND taking a huge salary cut. Impressive.

5Beckford  Empty Re: Beckford Wed Jul 03 2013, 09:21

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

I agree this bodes well. Let's hope it does.

6Beckford  Empty Re: Beckford Wed Jul 03 2013, 11:22

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I won't believe it until I see a photo of him holding the white shirt.

7Beckford  Empty Re: Beckford Wed Jul 03 2013, 12:10

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Obviously a smokescreen to sell tickets.

when will the club tell us the truth!

8Beckford  Empty Re: Beckford Wed Jul 03 2013, 12:10

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Obviously a smokescreen to sell tickets.

Exactly. If he'd signed there would be a photo of him holding the shirt.

9Beckford  Empty Re: Beckford Wed Jul 03 2013, 13:03

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:Obviously a smokescreen to sell tickets.

Exactly. If he'd signed there would be a photo of him holding the shirt.

very pessimistic you two! Beckford would hardly inspire a rush on season tickets would he!

DF seems certain it will go through so good enough for me

10Beckford  Empty Re: Beckford Wed Jul 03 2013, 13:18

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha: "This is the first signing that excites me in a long time."

Is it likely that ramping up the anticipation by being in denial that he's actually signed will make the experience of being excited for the first time in a long time even more exciting when the picture is published?

Comes across like mental foreplay.

11Beckford  Empty Re: Beckford Wed Jul 03 2013, 14:38

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:Natasha: "This is the first signing that excites me in a long time."

Is it likely that ramping up the anticipation by being in denial that he's actually signed will make the experience of being excited for the first time in a long time even more exciting when the picture is published?

No just mental

12Beckford  Empty Re: Beckford Wed Jul 03 2013, 16:01

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:
wanderlust wrote:Natasha: "This is the first signing that excites me in a long time."

No just mental
Very Happy Some people just can't handle good news.

13Beckford  Empty Re: Beckford Wed Jul 03 2013, 16:45

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I hold my hands up...

I was wrong on this one.

Was a long, protracted affair though. the BEN are too quick to report a 'story'...

14Beckford  Empty Re: Beckford Wed Jul 03 2013, 16:50

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok_Rebel wrote:I hold my hands up...

I was wrong on this one.

Was a long, protracted affair though. the BEN are too quick to report a 'story'...

I don't trust the BEN to be honest. Sky are reporting that Dougie has categorically stated he won't be making a large bid for Rhodes - but this could be a rerun of the story the BEN ran a few days ago - before the odds shortened. Not really sure who to believe which is a good thing as it means we haven't got a manager who runs off at the mouth before the deals are transacted.

Personally, I rate Dougie when it comes to the transfer market.

15Beckford  Empty Re: Beckford Wed Jul 03 2013, 20:07

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

So happy to sign for bolton, lets get back where we belong #bwfc

Wish i signed for millwall Sad, jokes not that shithole #bwfc #millwall

16Beckford  Empty Re: Beckford Wed Jul 03 2013, 20:16

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I don't get it.

17Beckford  Empty Re: Beckford Wed Jul 03 2013, 20:18

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

beckford on twitter.

18Beckford  Empty Re: Beckford Wed Jul 03 2013, 20:28

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Is he illiterate?

19Beckford  Empty Re: Beckford Wed Jul 03 2013, 20:31

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Happy with this.

20Beckford  Empty Re: Beckford Wed Jul 03 2013, 20:35

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

You should never be happy with illiteracy.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum