Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gravity - The film, not the thing that stops us floating off into space.

+12
Bolton Nuts
BoltonTillIDie
aaron_bwfc
Keegan
doffcocker
Hipster_Nebula
boltonbonce
Boggersbelief
Norpig
xmiles
Natasha Whittam
Sluffy
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I enjoyed life of Pi.

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

So did I, actually.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

It's derivative nonsense.

It's just yet another "Kid stuck in a boat with a Tiger" film.

And there are already far too many of them knocking about as it is......

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Life of Pi is ace. Some of you are just grumpy old bastards.

Went to the cinema to watch Lost in Translation when it came out, all the critics raved about it. Waited for something to happen then it ended.

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

OneFinFreedman wrote:Went to the cinema to watch Lost in Translation when it came out, all the critics raved about it. Waited for something to happen then it ended.
I suspect that much of the film's meaning to you was lost in translation.

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Hunger games. Utterly poor.

Can I add American Hustle to the list, watched it last night. Never been so bored.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Over the years there have been an increasing number of films that don't live up to the hype but I suspect it's because there's more hype around than ever before. Sometimes watch a trailer in the cinema and it's basically the entire film.
My biggest disappointment was the first film that really pissed me off - The Magus. The book was/is an incredible read which really fucks with your head (after the first 100 pages or so) so I was hyped to see the movie. The bastards cast Michael Caine as the dupe and Antony Quinn as the billionaire mind games maestro and it completely ruined it.
Worse followed a year or so later when they filmed "The Illustrated Man" which is a decent light read of 18 interlinked short stories by Ray Bradbury. The film only covered 3 of them and it starred Rod frigging Steiger - total let down.
Ever since then I've taken what the critics say with a pinch of salt - same with football pundits. They talk shite.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

wanderlust wrote:Over the years there have been an increasing number of films that don't live up to the hype but I suspect it's because there's more hype around than ever before. Sometimes watch a trailer in the cinema and it's basically the entire film.
My biggest disappointment was the first film that really pissed me off - The Magus. The book was/is an incredible read which really fucks with your head (after the first 100 pages or so) so I was hyped to see the movie. The bastards cast Michael Caine as the dupe and Antony Quinn as the billionaire mind games maestro and it completely ruined it.
Worse followed a year or so later when they filmed "The Illustrated Man" which is a decent light read of 18 interlinked short stories by Ray Bradbury. The film only covered 3 of them and it starred Rod frigging Steiger - total let down.
Ever since then I've taken what the critics say with a pinch of salt - same with football pundits. They talk shite.

Generally film versions of books do suck. There are plenty of other examples such as Dune. One of the interesting developments of recent years is the use of television to actually do a good job of presenting quality adult entertainment in series like The Wire and Game of Thrones. The problem for any film is condensing all the material in a novel into just say 120 minutes. Most of them fail.

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

2001 A Space Odyssey put me off Space films for life.

Banks of the Croal wrote:2001 A Space Odyssey put me off Space films for life.

Heretic !!!!

Burn him with fire !!!!!! Shocked

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Breadman wrote:
Banks of the Croal wrote:2001 A Space Odyssey put me off Space films for life.

Heretic !!!!

Burn him with fire !!!!!! Shocked

Very Happy bored me to death.

Worst One and Sixpence i've ever spent Cool

I know what you mean.

It is a bit long and parts of it are painful to sit through (the Star Child nonsense and all that bit where Bowman ages and it's impossible to work out what's going on) but overall, I think it's a great film.

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

One of the worst films i have had the pleasure of seeing, yes great views etc. but the story line absolute rubbish, Sandra Bullock navigated her way on to a space station using a fire extinguisher for gods sake. utter Bullocks. Other than the Ocean 11 ........ never seen Clooney in anything decent.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wessy wrote:Other than the Ocean 11 ........ never seen Clooney in anything decent.

Then you need to watch Three Kings, Out Of Sight, Syriana & Argo.

Top class actor.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hes not in Argo. Loved him in the Ides of March though

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Elysium. Great concept. Badly executed. Very disappointed with it.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

So the missus insisted on going to the flicks to watch Gravity 3D at the weekend. I was gutted as I wanted to watch the Wes Anderson Budapest Hotel thing - even though it may well turn out to be shite.
But Gravity was poor. Not much of a storyline, no complexity and minimal dialogue.  
Two things stuck in my mind about it: Why did it win Oscars? And it can't have cost that much by modern standards as there were only 3 actors, a shedload[size=12.727272033691406] of CGI and just 4 sets.[/size]
[size=12.727272033691406]I suppose it's technically a British film though, which is no bad thing.[/size]

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

And what did your missus think?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum