Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

RIP - Phil Gartside

+25
scottjames30
Numpty 28723
Keegan
luckyPeterpiper
MartinBWFC
Bwfc1958
Michael Bolton
Copper Dragon
Sluffy
NickFazer
Jack Russell
Mr Magoo
karlypants
gloswhite
wessy
BoltonTillIDie
doffcocker
boltonbonce
Hipster_Nebula
Boggersbelief
Lever ender
rammywhite
Reebok Trotter
Natasha Whittam
Leeds_Trotter
29 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

41RIP - Phil Gartside - Page 3 Empty Re: RIP - Phil Gartside Thu Feb 11 2016, 09:51

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Barring Megson, the fans were happy with the managers appointed by Gartside. Even Sammy Lee.

42RIP - Phil Gartside - Page 3 Empty Re: RIP - Phil Gartside Thu Feb 11 2016, 10:23

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Boggersbelief wrote:Barring Megson, the fans were happy with the managers appointed by Gartside. Even Sammy Lee.
I beg to differ on that one.

43RIP - Phil Gartside - Page 3 Empty Re: RIP - Phil Gartside Thu Feb 11 2016, 10:26

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

MartinBWFC wrote:
Boggersbelief wrote:Barring Megson, the fans were happy with the managers appointed by Gartside. Even Sammy Lee.

That's your opinion.

44RIP - Phil Gartside - Page 3 Empty Re: RIP - Phil Gartside Thu Feb 11 2016, 10:33

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Boggersbelief wrote:
MartinBWFC wrote:

That's your opinion.
And a bit more relevant than yours was.

45RIP - Phil Gartside - Page 3 Empty Re: RIP - Phil Gartside Thu Feb 11 2016, 10:41

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

You make no sense.

46RIP - Phil Gartside - Page 3 Empty Re: RIP - Phil Gartside Thu Feb 11 2016, 11:02

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I agree with Boggers here, Sammy Lee was the logical choice to carry on the good work done by Allardyce.

47RIP - Phil Gartside - Page 3 Empty Re: RIP - Phil Gartside Thu Feb 11 2016, 11:36

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

While I personally think Gartside did a poor job as chairman after Sam left I didn't hate the man personally and really am sorry to hear of his death. My thoughts and prayers (for what they are worth) are with his family and friends right now. I wouldn't wish Cancer on anyone, it's a horrible illness and having seen two members of my own family die from it I can only hope Phil didn't suffer a lot of pain and that when he passed away he did so surrounded by his loved ones and with dignity.

Rest In Peace.

48RIP - Phil Gartside - Page 3 Empty Re: RIP - Phil Gartside Thu Feb 11 2016, 12:32

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sammy Lee was a horrendous appointment. Easily his worst and that includes the recent ones.

49RIP - Phil Gartside - Page 3 Empty Re: RIP - Phil Gartside Thu Feb 11 2016, 12:53

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Nobody is perfect, and Phil certainly was no different from us all. I feel for his family and Bolton Wanderers has lost a stalwart. Rest In Peace, Phil.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

50RIP - Phil Gartside - Page 3 Empty Re: RIP - Phil Gartside Thu Feb 11 2016, 14:04

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Reading the tributes to Phil, he comes across as a really friendly, dedicated man. I think its a shame that these qualities didn't always come across to the fans, who, naturally, drew their own conclusions, rightly or wrongly, from the performances of the team and managers.

51RIP - Phil Gartside - Page 3 Empty Re: RIP - Phil Gartside Thu Feb 11 2016, 14:23

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I think Phil Gartside deserves a lot of credit for the job he did speaking at Nat Lofthouse's funeral. Let's not forget that. RIP.

52RIP - Phil Gartside - Page 3 Empty Re: RIP - Phil Gartside Thu Feb 11 2016, 14:32

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Numpty 28723 wrote:I think Phil Gartside deserves a lot of credit for the job he did speaking at Nat Lofthouse's funeral. Let's not forget that. RIP.
Very much so. It wasn't easy for him.

Certainly when compared to Gordon Taylor,who made a wonderful speech.

53RIP - Phil Gartside - Page 3 Empty Re: RIP - Phil Gartside Thu Feb 11 2016, 14:33

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Numpty 28723 wrote:I think Phil Gartside deserves a lot of credit for the job he did speaking at Nat Lofthouse's funeral. Let's not forget that. RIP
Not forgetting his dignity during the Muamba incident, always flew the flag for both player and club, and Boggers, tell me how appointing Sammy Lee was a good move, other than continuity which turned out pretty bad in the end due to his non managerial abilities.

54RIP - Phil Gartside - Page 3 Empty Re: RIP - Phil Gartside Thu Feb 11 2016, 15:32

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sammy Lee was the worst appointment known to human beings.

He looked like an eight year old kid with a huge head in a suit that was eight sizes too big for him.

I've forgotten more football than he'll ever know.

55RIP - Phil Gartside - Page 3 Empty Re: RIP - Phil Gartside Thu Feb 11 2016, 15:35

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

scottjames30 wrote:Sammy Lee was the worst appointment known to human beings.

He looked like an eight year old kid with a huge head in a suit that was eight sizes too big for him.

The worst thing about him was that when he was interviewed after games his scouse accent was so strong that the average person couldn't understand a word he said.
I think he knew football well enough but not as a manager. He's made a decent career for himself as a coach and number 2

56RIP - Phil Gartside - Page 3 Empty Re: RIP - Phil Gartside Thu Feb 11 2016, 15:37

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

rammywhite wrote:
scottjames30 wrote:Sammy Lee was the worst appointment known to human beings.

The worst thing about him was that when he was interviewed after games his scouse accent was so strong that the average person couldn't understand a word he said.
I think he knew football well enough but not as a manager. He's made a decent career for himself as a coach and number 2

He shouldn't be allowed to wear a suit ever again though.

57RIP - Phil Gartside - Page 3 Empty Re: RIP - Phil Gartside Thu Feb 11 2016, 15:45

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

MartinBWFC wrote:
Numpty 28723 wrote:I think Phil Gartside deserves a lot of credit for the job he did speaking at Nat Lofthouse's funeral. Let's not forget that. RIP
Not forgetting his dignity during the Muamba incident, always flew the flag for both player and club, and Boggers, tell me how appointing Sammy Lee was a good move, other than continuity which turned out pretty bad in the end due to his non managerial abilities.

I never said appointing Lee was a good move. I said I knew of fans that were happy for him to get the job as he has a great reputation as a coach. The same way people call for Jimmy Phillips to be put in charge

58RIP - Phil Gartside - Page 3 Empty Re: RIP - Phil Gartside Thu Feb 11 2016, 15:48

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boggersbelief wrote:
MartinBWFC wrote:

I never said appointing Lee was a good move. I said I knew of fans that were happy for him to get the job as he has a great reputation as a coach. The same way people call for Jimmy Phillips to be put in charge

Well you're right about that, thats for sure.

A lot of Bolton fans only demand for any manager is they are a former player.

59RIP - Phil Gartside - Page 3 Empty Re: RIP - Phil Gartside Thu Feb 11 2016, 16:12

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

60RIP - Phil Gartside - Page 3 Empty Re: RIP - Phil Gartside Thu Feb 11 2016, 16:21

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bolton Wanderers owner Eddie Davies has paid tribute to Phil Gartside.

He said: "It's sad news for all of us, especially Bolton and especially football.

"We've known about what's been going on for some time and we've kept it quiet, but it's now come to this and everybody knows and we're all very sad.

"We started working together in 1996 and we actually plotted how to get into the Premier League, which we achieved and we were there for 11 years. 

“Phil was with me all that time and he built a fantastic infrastructure around the club, it's one of the best in the Premier League never mind in the Championship, and it's all credit to him.

"We were very unlucky to get relegated but Phil has been fundamental in everything that Bolton achieved in that period of time.

"He was Bolton Wanderers through and through, from being a boy, right until today's tragic day. I can't really thank him enough for what he has done. He's been my right-hand man, we worked very closely together and I'll be forever grateful to him."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum