Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wanderers want Wilder

+24
JohannesburgWanderer
Diadora
boltonbonce
wessy
karlypants
xmiles
finlaymcdanger
NickFazer
luckyPeterpiper
Bolton Nuts
Fabians Right Peg
Bwfc1958
Sluffy
Hipster_Nebula
scottjames30
Natasha Whittam
terenceanne
wanderlust
FullofSprite
Norpig
gloswhite
doffcocker
MartinBWFC
Boggersbelief
28 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 8]

1Wanderers want Wilder Empty Wanderers want Wilder Wed Apr 13 2016, 21:46

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

CHRIS Wilder has jumped to the top of Wanderers’ shortlist as the club weigh up their options for the vacant manager’s job.

The Bolton News understands the Northampton Town boss, who has recently guided the Cobblers to promotion from League Two, is wanted by the Whites.

Wilder has a rolling contract at Sixfields and would not command a large amount of compensation but the Yorkshireman is also wanted by Rotherham United as a replacement for Neil Warnock, who is expected to step down at the end of the season.

The 48-year-old worked at Bury as assistant manager in 2008 but then moved on to Oxford United, where he spent six years.

He led them back into the Football League before moving on to Northampton Town in 2014.

The alternate option to Wilder appears to be a partnership between Peter Reid – who has been with the club in a coaching capacity for the last few weeks – and former club captain Kevin Nolan.

Jimmy Phillips is also being strongly considered for a role in the new coaching set-up.

Reid is keen to stay on at Wanderers having returned to the club to assist Phillips last month.

And he could be used to mentor Nolan – whose first sample of management at Leyton Orient ended this week.

The 33-year-old has agreed to stay on at the League Two club in a playing capacity but is seeking a return to the North West.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2Wanderers want Wilder Empty Re: Wanderers want Wilder Wed Apr 13 2016, 21:59

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Doesn't fill me with a lot of hope this.

3Wanderers want Wilder Empty Re: Wanderers want Wilder Thu Apr 14 2016, 01:52

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I don't know much about the guy except that Northampton are already promoted automatically. Don't know what he's been working with there, no idea whether it makes him a good fit for us or not.

It would be just our luck to nick him and finish below Northampton next season though.

4Wanderers want Wilder Empty Re: Wanderers want Wilder Thu Apr 14 2016, 09:27

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I'm not overly enthused about the Nolan, Reid, and Phillips partnership to be honest.

5Wanderers want Wilder Empty Re: Wanderers want Wilder Thu Apr 14 2016, 09:48

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wilder seems to have done well wherever he has been particularly Northampton and Oxford, if he wants the job i would be happy to see him take it. What we can't keep doing is going back to old players or people with a link to the club just because of their history.

A completely new approach is needed and someone experienced at managing lower down the league and within a budget is a must and he ticks all the right boxes for me.

I've read some comments on the BN website from clowns saying he's only managed in league 2 and we should be looking at people like Nigel Pearson , these people are idiots

6Wanderers want Wilder Empty Re: Wanderers want Wilder Thu Apr 14 2016, 10:39

FullofSprite

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Chris Wilder

Appointed Manager of Alfreton Town.  Wilder began his career in management at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. He took over at the club in late October 2001 and in the 27 weeks he was in charge won four trophies: the Northern Counties (East) League Premier Division, the League Cup, the President's Cup and the Derbyshire Senior Cup.

2008 -2014

Appointed Oxford Manager half way through the season and gets them within a whisker of the play-offs. In his first full season in charge he gets them promoted by via the play offs to league 2. Steadies the ship in first full season in the 2nd division and in his next season gets Oxford within a whisker of the playoffs for the 1st division. 2014 leaves Oxford

2014 - 2016

Appointed Northampton manager who are bottom of the league and something like 20 points adrift of safety. Manages to keep them in division 2, despite Northampton being on the brink of liquidation (does this ring bells?) then goes on to not only win promotion with Northampton, but win the league.

Personal view

Think he deserves his chance. His record is as good as Allardyces was when Big Sam took over us. People think it was Big Sams connection with the club that made him successful, it wasn't! it was Big Sams experience in Ireland, and Blackpool, Preston and Notts County before he came to us. 

Wilder has done the hard miles of experience in the lower leagues and will have sorted his tactics and game plan out, whilst the likes of Coyle, Freedman and Lennon were still working out what to do in game situations. He will hopefully know where the bargains are, which big time premiership managers won't. 1st division is about graft and less about ponsie footballers.

So now you know why clubs are taking a look.

I'm surprised John Sheridan hasn't had a look in, and I'm also surprised Mickey Mellon hasn't had a look either.

Wilder would be a solid appointment, but we have competition with Rotherham United. 

7Wanderers want Wilder Empty Re: Wanderers want Wilder Thu Apr 14 2016, 10:39

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

In the East we get Northampton on the local news telly and Wilder is well respected and has done a great job on a relatively low budget.

However this process doesn't seem to be going very well with Deano and Anderson failing to agree a preference. They need to be careful otherwise they are going to scare off prospects before they sign up.

And we could really do with a manager rather than a committee.

8Wanderers want Wilder Empty Re: Wanderers want Wilder Thu Apr 14 2016, 13:39

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Deano:  We have been searching around the globe for managerial talent as befits a club of our size.
Ken:      Have you looked at the Spanish second division and Italian divisions etc.?
Deano:  Yes, but we found a bloke from Yorkshire who has done well with some pub teams.
Ken:      Is he cheap?
Deano:  Aye
Ken:     Get him signed then.
Deano: What do we tell the fans?
Ken:     Tell them we did due diligence on 50 applicants.
Deano: They will believe owt..... Razz

9Wanderers want Wilder Empty Re: Wanderers want Wilder Thu Apr 14 2016, 17:42

FullofSprite

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

terenceanne wrote:Deano:  We have been searching around the globe for managerial talent as befits a club of our size.
Ken:      Have you looked at the Spanish second division and Italian divisions etc.?
Deano:  Yes, but we found a bloke from Yorkshire who has done well with some pub teams.
You'll be upset if he goes to Rotherham and gets them promoted to the Premiership, whilst BWFC are languishing in the 2nd division.

Don't forget you could have said that about Allardyce

10Wanderers want Wilder Empty Re: Wanderers want Wilder Thu Apr 14 2016, 17:52

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He won't go to Rotherham.

11Wanderers want Wilder Empty Re: Wanderers want Wilder Thu Apr 14 2016, 18:03

FullofSprite

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Natasha Whittam wrote:He won't go to Rotherham.
Hopefully not, but I'm just pointing out that BWFC fans can't see potential based on games managed. Seem to look at what team he played for or has he won the Premiership? We ain't  going to get a Premiership Manager and we don't want a player who has never managed and we certainly don't want a 'player manager. Job is too big for that

12Wanderers want Wilder Empty Re: Wanderers want Wilder Thu Apr 14 2016, 18:09

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I was talking about Wilder.

I agree Nolan would be a disaster.

13Wanderers want Wilder Empty Re: Wanderers want Wilder Thu Apr 14 2016, 18:12

FullofSprite

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Natasha Whittam wrote:I was talking about Wilder.

I agree Nolan would be a disaster.
I'm also talking about Wilder and BWFC fans, and BWFC

14Wanderers want Wilder Empty Re: Wanderers want Wilder Thu Apr 14 2016, 18:20

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm glad we've established what we're talking about.

15Wanderers want Wilder Empty Re: Wanderers want Wilder Thu Apr 14 2016, 18:44

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Not much left to work with there FoS Very Happy

16Wanderers want Wilder Empty Re: Wanderers want Wilder Thu Apr 14 2016, 18:53

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's like hearing Harold Shipman is your new GP.

17Wanderers want Wilder Empty Re: Wanderers want Wilder Thu Apr 14 2016, 18:57

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Wilder is now evens favourite

18Wanderers want Wilder Empty Re: Wanderers want Wilder Thu Apr 14 2016, 18:59

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

someone must have lumped a 5er on.

19Wanderers want Wilder Empty Re: Wanderers want Wilder Thu Apr 14 2016, 20:32

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

FullofSprite wrote:
terenceanne wrote:Deano:  We have been searching around the globe for managerial talent as befits a club of our size.
You'll be upset if he goes to Rotherham and gets them promoted to the Premiership, whilst BWFC are languishing in the 2nd division.

Don't forget you could have said that about Allardyce

Obviously you must be fully versed with the in's & out's of Mr. Wilder since I can't see the "potential"...... I would suggest you know nowt...the same as the rest of us. 

Doogie & Coyle also had potential....on paper.

Allardyce was hired because he was cheap and had the old boy connection.....no one expected him to do well especially Eddie & Phil.

20Wanderers want Wilder Empty Re: Wanderers want Wilder Thu Apr 14 2016, 21:06

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

terenceanne wrote:

Obviously you must be fully versed with the in's & out's of Mr. Wilder since I can't see the "potential"...... I would suggest you know nowt...the same as the rest of us. 

Doogie & Coyle also had potential....on paper.

You'd have to be a fool not to see potential in Wilder.

You seem to be suggesting if they're good on paper we should avoid them.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 8]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum