Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Economy watch

+19
Copper Dragon
Bwfc1958
Bread2.0
bwfc71
karlypants
Norpig
Reebok Trotter
Chairmanda
xmiles
Sluffy
Bollotom2014
boltonbonce
whatsgoingon
Natasha Whittam
okocha
scottjames30
NickFazer
gloswhite
wanderlust
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15 ... 22  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 22]

141Economy watch - Page 8 Empty Re: Economy watch Fri Aug 12 2016, 17:17

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:Fair post this Wander, other than the distasteful comment,  if May spread her legs for the Americans and/or Chinese. You're letting your Remain side come to the fore there Shocked
Sorry Glos - it's a euphemism. What I meant to say was "I wouldn't be surprised if May ***** *** the Americans and/or Chinese." Smile

Or is "gets into bed with the big two" preferable?

142Economy watch - Page 8 Empty Re: Economy watch Sat Aug 13 2016, 09:50

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

wanderlust wrote:
gloswhite wrote:Fair post this Wander, other than the distasteful comment,  if May spread her legs for the Americans and/or Chinese. You're letting your Remain side come to the fore there Shocked
Sorry Glos - it's a euphemism. What I meant to say was "I wouldn't be surprised if May ***** *** the Americans and/or Chinese." Smile

Or is "gets into bed with the big two" preferable?

The latter is the more genteel, and more in keeping with your high standards, but I know what you mean  Very Happy

143Economy watch - Page 8 Empty Re: Economy watch Sat Aug 13 2016, 12:39

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I've copied this from the BBC website re the subsidies to be given to farmers, scientists etc. These are two of the highest-rated posts on the thread, the first one quoting an earlier opinion in order to use it as a starting point for slating  the sort of attitude that reeks of ignorance and arrogance. They provide a less negative interpretation of the way things are working out post-Brexit.

[*]@ 3 Alcomden
"In a perfect world the tragic history of Brexit would be reversed. People didn't understand what they were voting for ...."

Wow - what an arrogant statement. How on earth would you know what people did and didn't understand?! The vote was democratic and it is ludicrous to suggest it should be reversed!

• Number of positive ratings for comment 18:224

[*]

Comment number42. Posted byLord Lucans Landlord

on2 hours ago
So - after Brexit we have

* No emergency budget
* Share prices didn't plummet
* Most funding will continue
* The world didn't end like George said it would 

And Remain accuse Leave of telling Porkies!

144Economy watch - Page 8 Empty Re: Economy watch Sat Aug 13 2016, 12:43

gloswhite wrote:Lets be honest 74, it doesn't matter who you sell it to nowadays, it will always find its way to some war front somewhere, no matter how scrupulous the providers are.

Maybe so, but we should never sell to a regime we know are using the weapons to slaughter innocents. It makes a mockery of our so called status in the world.

145Economy watch - Page 8 Empty Re: Economy watch Sat Aug 13 2016, 12:46

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

okocha wrote:I've copied this from the BBC website re the subsidies to be given to farmers, scientists etc. These are two of the highest-rated posts on the thread, the first one quoting an earlier opinion in order to use it as a starting point for slating  the sort of attitude that reeks of ignorance and arrogance. They provide a less negative interpretation of the way things are working out post-Brexit.

[*]@ 3 Alcomden
"In a perfect world the tragic history of Brexit would be reversed. People didn't understand what they were voting for ...."

Wow - what an arrogant statement. How on earth would you know what people did and didn't understand?! The vote was democratic and it is ludicrous to suggest it should be reversed!

[*]

on2 hours ago

* No emergency budget

And exactly how much of the £350m a week is going to be spent on the NHS?

146Economy watch - Page 8 Empty Re: Economy watch Sat Aug 13 2016, 15:07

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

wanderlust wrote:
NickFazer wrote:Going to see the bank on Saturday as I'm thinking about moving house, after all since I contributed to our possible exit from the EU I feel duty bound.
Emigrating to the South of France Nick? Smile Wouldn't blame you as they have a better standard of living, better weather and since the referendum they are now the fifth largest economy in the world so they should offer financial stability.

You shouldn't have a problem with the bank as the strategy is to encourage more borrowing to prop up the economy - a bit like the subprime lending that caused the 2009 crash only this time they are doing it deliberately because of the situation we are in. Now that we, the taxpayer own 75% of RBS I'd avoid them as they - or rather we - are talking about introducing negative interest on deposits and mega interest on loans and mortgages so watch them. Or rather us.

Not a good time to sell a house ATM though.

I would imagine that there are hundreds of thousands of people that will welcome a fall in house prices and they are ridiculously high. As my current property is a modest terraced house and my aspiration is only to move to a quieter / greener location I am hoping that any reduction on price for mine will be relative to a reduction on the next. Plenty of sold signs round here at the moment so fingers crossed.

South of France sounds good but think I'll wait until after next year's riots and the elections are out of the way

147Economy watch - Page 8 Empty Re: Economy watch Sun Aug 14 2016, 00:14

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

okocha wrote:I've copied this from the BBC website re the subsidies to be given to farmers, scientists etc. These are two of the highest-rated posts on the thread, the first one quoting an earlier opinion in order to use it as a starting point for slating  the sort of attitude that reeks of ignorance and arrogance. They provide a less negative interpretation of the way things are working out post-Brexit.

[*]@ 3 Alcomden

[*]

on2 hours ago

* No emergency budget

[*]The economic news tells a different story, for example:
[*]Before the referendum "British scientists were getting a disproportionately high amount of funding from the EU amounting to >£800 million" (which makes the £350 million "NHS money" look paltry) and that when added to the EU farmer's subsidies totalled £4 billion that we, the taxpayer will now have to find. Plus another £4 billion in "deprived area" grants.
[*]
Hammond has agreed to pay that with our £ 8billion EU contribution (our national budget is >100 times that) However British scientists currently have £69 billion of bids into the EU 2020 fund which would ensure the future of British scientific research for years to come which we will lose as we have declared ourselves ineligible.

148Economy watch - Page 8 Empty Re: Economy watch Sun Aug 14 2016, 15:39

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

149Economy watch - Page 8 Empty Re: Economy watch Sun Aug 14 2016, 16:50

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I've noticed they have better deals in the supermarket since we came out of the EU.

150Economy watch - Page 8 Empty Re: Economy watch Wed Aug 17 2016, 15:12

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

scottjames30 wrote:I've noticed they have better deals in the supermarket since we came out of the EU.

What's wrong with this sentence?
a) we are still in Europe
b) as above
c) ditto?

I'm thinking d) someone needs to use a different character account as this one's barred.

151Economy watch - Page 8 Empty Re: Economy watch Wed Aug 17 2016, 18:00

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

152Economy watch - Page 8 Empty Re: Economy watch Wed Aug 17 2016, 18:50

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

F***! I'm going to Portugal in September so I pray the pound recovers a bit before then. Mind you, airport bureaux can be a rip off at the best of times.

153Economy watch - Page 8 Empty Re: Economy watch Wed Aug 17 2016, 18:52

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i didn't get much better from the post office, 1.12 or 1.13  Evil or Very Mad

154Economy watch - Page 8 Empty Re: Economy watch Wed Aug 17 2016, 19:12

My mum is going to spain in a few weeks and got hers a few weeks ago.  She got 1.3

155Economy watch - Page 8 Empty Re: Economy watch Thu Aug 18 2016, 09:20

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

y2johnny wrote:My mum is going to spain in a few weeks and got hers a few weeks ago.  She got 1.3
That's cheered me up no end y2j...

156Economy watch - Page 8 Empty Re: Economy watch Thu Aug 18 2016, 11:47

wanderlust wrote:
y2johnny wrote:My mum is going to spain in a few weeks and got hers a few weeks ago.  She got 1.3
That's cheered me up no end y2j...
Sorry lusty.  When i brexit happened i told her to wait a week and then do it because i knew it would go down again.  

For once she listened Smile

157Economy watch - Page 8 Empty Re: Economy watch Thu Aug 18 2016, 12:34

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Petrol down 2p again today in Preston. 
Petrol discounters like supermarkets seem to be holding at about £1.07 a litre whilst the rest appear to be at the £1.11 to £1.13 range but apparently prices have started to rise which is driving up inflation according to the BBC. The reduction in the BoE base interest rate was supposed to prevent inflation from rising but the BBC are saying it's up to 1.9% from 1.6%.
FTSE is holding up though.
Can't say I've noticed petrol prices rising more than a couple of pence in Norfolk or in Lancashire and I wouldn't be expecting price hikes for ages yet so has it started to go up anywhere else yet or have the BBC got it wrong?

158Economy watch - Page 8 Empty Re: Economy watch Thu Aug 18 2016, 21:31

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I never go to those Bureax de Change.

Until recently, I used a Caxton FX Euro card, but my daughter put me on to Revolut, who give an excellent exchange rate, (relatively).
As I speak, Caxton are exchanging the Euro at 1.1334/£, and Revolut at 1.1592/£

Unfortunately, I was about to exchange £2000, to pay for my holiday, etc, and it went down to 1.15, ( I delayed it when I could have exchanged at 1.19 Crying or Very sad )

159Economy watch - Page 8 Empty Re: Economy watch Fri Aug 19 2016, 00:04

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Can't decide whether to dive in @115 or hang on for a while. Has to bottom out soon...

160Economy watch - Page 8 Empty Re: Economy watch Fri Aug 19 2016, 08:51

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Those were my exact thoughts Wander, and I lost out.

I have a feeling it will stay on, or near, the current levels, as the background info seems to be saying that though were not sinking any lower, at the moment, neither are we blazing trails.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 22]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15 ... 22  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum