Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Bolton Wanderers Banter » Rotherham 1-1 Bolton

Rotherham 1-1 Bolton

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Rotherham 1-1 Bolton on Mon Oct 15 2018, 15:09

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Yay - proper footie is back at the weekend!
We're in a bit of a slide at the moment so an away trip to fellow strugglers Rotherham is exactly what we need. They got whupped by the rejuvenated Brum last time out but had respectable draws with Stoke and Bristol recently and beat Derby at home last month so they're no pushovers. However if Parky picks the right team - possibly including Ireland - we should be able to get at them. I'm going for 1 - 1 though.

2 Re: Rotherham 1-1 Bolton on Mon Oct 15 2018, 15:56

Norpig

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Not a must win but a mustn't lose so i'd be happy with a draw after our recent performances.

3 Re: Rotherham 1-1 Bolton on Mon Oct 15 2018, 16:22

Natasha Whittam

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
It's the sort of game we always lose. It's like Burton away last season.

2-0 to the home side.

4 Re: Rotherham 1-1 Bolton on Mon Oct 15 2018, 16:37

T.R.O.Y

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Yay - proper footie is back at the weekend!
We're in a bit of a slide at the moment so an away trip to fellow strugglers Rotherham is exactly what we need. They got whupped by the rejuvenated Brum last time out but had respectable draws with Stoke and Bristol recently and beat Derby at home last month so they're no pushovers. However if Parky picks the right team - possibly including Ireland - we should be able to get at them. I'm going for 1 - 1 though.

Ireland for who? Think I’d prefer to see two up top with Doidge and Magennis, Oz begins them then Lowe Williams and Vela or O’neill.

5 Re: Rotherham 1-1 Bolton on Mon Oct 15 2018, 16:44

Natasha Whittam

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Two things are certain: Ireland won't play. Doidge won't play.

6 Re: Rotherham 1-1 Bolton on Mon Oct 15 2018, 17:05

T.R.O.Y

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Ye probably right. Parky is slow to change and early season it looked like we’d found our system, think he’ll stick with it a while longer.

7 Re: Rotherham 1-1 Bolton on Mon Oct 15 2018, 17:14

Natasha Whittam

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Sadly he seems immune to playing two up top, even against the teams that are considered our relegation rivals.

8 Re: Rotherham 1-1 Bolton on Mon Oct 15 2018, 17:24

karlypants

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
It’s going to be a Bolton win this one.

9 Re: Rotherham 1-1 Bolton on Tue Oct 16 2018, 12:31

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Jamie Proctor. 'Nuff said.

10 Re: Rotherham 1-1 Bolton on Tue Oct 16 2018, 13:17

finlaymcdanger

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
Must win for me this. If we're going to pick up any more away wins then we have to beat teams like Rotherham who are as bad as anyone, if not the worst, in the league.

11 Re: Rotherham 1-1 Bolton on Tue Oct 16 2018, 13:40

Growler

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
I would take a point before the match kicks off but don't fancy us to get one.
Parky has lost the plot recently picking too many defensive players at home to QPR and then too many attacking players away at Stoke.There won't be many teams in this division who pick a more attacking team at Stoke than they do at home to QPR.

I would like Parky to get back to the selection and tactics that won the away games at Reading and West Brom, 3 defensive midfielders to keep a clean sheet and then cash in on their defensive mistakes.I don't think we have good enough attacking players to go to Rotherham to try and beat them in a game of end to end football.
I think Parky will select Oz plus 2 wingers and we'll get beat.
This is a huge must win game for Rotherham and they are ok at home

12 Re: Rotherham 1-1 Bolton on Tue Oct 16 2018, 16:12

wessy

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Yep its a game we the fans would expect to win but the type of game that as seen us come unstuck in previous years like Burton last year. So would take a point.

13 Re: Rotherham 1-1 Bolton on Tue Oct 16 2018, 17:16

rammywhite

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
They're in dire straits and might see us as easy meat if they really have a go. With home advantage and our eternal generosity to struggling teams I think Rotherham will win.

Either 2-0 or 3-1

14 Re: Rotherham 1-1 Bolton on Thu Oct 18 2018, 09:55

karlypants

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Ref Watch: Tim Robinson to take charge of Wanderers' clash against Rotherham United

Tim Robinson will take charge of Wanderers’ Sky Bet Championship away clash against Rotherham United on Saturday afternoon at New York Stadium.

Entering into his eighth season as an referee, Robinson has officiated 13 games so far this season, in which he has produced 52 yellow cards and sent five players off.

When looking towards last season, Robinson produced 150 yellow cards in 47 games, branding 11 red cards in total.

The last time Robinson was in charge a Wanderers match was in February 2018, when he oversaw a 1-0 defeat to Cardiff City and showed Mark Beevers a yellow card.

Matthew Mcgrath and Mark Jones will run the line for the fixture, with Scott Ledger as fourth official.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

15 Re: Rotherham 1-1 Bolton on Thu Oct 18 2018, 15:29

wessy

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Easy to under estimate this game i agree we  need to be taking points but they have the 9th best home form in the Championship identical to Leeds and Derby. Three wins two draws and one defeat. However the one loss was to Hull so we do have a chance.

16 Re: Rotherham 1-1 Bolton on Thu Oct 18 2018, 15:48

Cajunboy

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
10 points from the first 5 games was a great start to our second season in The Championship.

5 points from the last  7 games  and we are back to last seasons form, back to a bottom six struggle.  

A point a game for the rest of the season would give us 49 points and survival.

Let's hope they are fit and ready to go after the international break and Parky has sharpened his tactical wits.

17 Re: Rotherham 1-1 Bolton on Thu Oct 18 2018, 16:41

MartinBWFC

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote: and Parky has sharpened his tactical wits.
That did make me laugh.

18 Re: Rotherham 1-1 Bolton on Thu Oct 18 2018, 16:48

Cajunboy

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Just living in hope!!!

19 Re: Rotherham 1-1 Bolton on Thu Oct 18 2018, 19:48

MartinBWFC

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Ref Watch: Tim Robinson to take charge of Wanderers' clash against Rotherham United

Tim Robinson will take charge of Wanderers’ Sky Bet Championship away clash against Rotherham United on Saturday afternoon at New York Stadium.

Entering into his eighth season as an referee, Robinson has officiated 13 games so far this season, in which he has produced 52 yellow cards and sent five players off.

When looking towards last season, Robinson produced 150 yellow cards in 47 games, branding 11 red cards in total.

The last time Robinson was in charge a Wanderers match was in February 2018, when he oversaw a 1-0 defeat to Cardiff City and showed Mark Beevers a yellow card.

Matthew Mcgrath and Mark Jones will run the line for the fixture, with Scott Ledger as fourth official.

Changed ref for this, it's now that wanker we had v Bristol City John Brooks, now he was a bad one.

20 Re: Rotherham 1-1 Bolton on Thu Oct 18 2018, 23:15

T.R.O.Y

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Can’t see Parky changing tactics, so far so good away from home this season. Hopefully he sticks with it.

21 Re: Rotherham 1-1 Bolton on Fri Oct 19 2018, 09:19

karlypants

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Ref Watch: Tim Robinson to take charge of Wanderers' clash against Rotherham United

Changed ref for this, it's now that wanker we had v Bristol City John Brooks, now he was a bad one.

Ref Watch: John Brooks will now oversee this weekend's fixture against Rotherham United

There has been a refereeing change for this weekend's fixture against Rotherham United, as John Brooks will replace Tim Robinson to take charge of proceedings on Saturday afternoon.

Entering into his fifth season as a top flight referee, Brooks has officiated 11 games so far this season, in which he has produced 45 yellow cards and sent three players off.

When looking towards last season, Brooks produced 149 yellow cards in 51 games, branding six red cards in total.

The last time Brooks was in charge of a Whites match was in August this season, when he oversaw a 2-2 draw against Bristol City and showed six Wanderers players a caution.

Matthew McGrath and Mark Jones will still run the line for the fixture, with Scott Ledger as fourth official.

22 Re: Rotherham 1-1 Bolton on Fri Oct 19 2018, 11:58

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Crikey - I hadn't realised it's been 52 years since we last won away at Rotherham. Could do with putting that little record to bed.

23 Re: Rotherham 1-1 Bolton on Fri Oct 19 2018, 13:46

finlaymcdanger

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
Anything less than a win and Parky's should expect the pressure to mount.

24 Re: Rotherham 1-1 Bolton on Fri Oct 19 2018, 15:21

MartinBWFC

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Anything less than a win and Parky's should expect the pressure to mount.
I think Kens statement about pushing up the table says a lot of his expectations of Parkinson, and should he fall short he'll be gone.

25 Re: Rotherham 1-1 Bolton on Fri Oct 19 2018, 15:45

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Anything less than a win and Parky's should expect the pressure to mount.
I think Kens statement about pushing up the table says a lot of his expectations of Parkinson, and should he fall short he'll be gone.
Anderson needs success on the pitch to push up his payoff fee and will point to the money spent on Doidge and the wages for the late additions as indicative of investment in the team even though in the scheme of things it's not a massive amount and it wasn't new money that he'd invested. 
Where there is likely to be trouble is if we flirt with relegation which I imagine would be unthinkable for Anderson, so whilst there's a cushion between us and the bottom three Parky can sleep easy.
However the reality is we should be doing better with the current squad. We're more competitive than last season and there are plenty of options for Parky so it comes down to him getting the selection and system right as I don't think he can fall back on the excuses that were made for him last year. And I don't think I'm alone in questioning his selection and system over the last 6 matches.

26 Re: Rotherham 1-1 Bolton on Fri Oct 19 2018, 15:55

T.R.O.Y

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
I'd say we're performing at about expectation with the current squad, Parky's made some great additions, but (although I like him) I'm not convinced Magennis is as good as Madine was.

27 Re: Rotherham 1-1 Bolton on Fri Oct 19 2018, 16:47

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:I'd say we're performing at about expectation with the current squad
Position-wise we're are currently OK, but results have nosedived in the last couple of months since we beat Brum apart from the one exception of the Derby game. Our current form is the issue and as far as that goes we're looking like relegation material.
Since the Brum match, we've played 8, W1, L5, D2, GF 4 GA 12 - a total of 5 points from a possible 24 - appalling.
The early season form and the Derby game showed we can do much better than we are currently doing and Parky needs to turn it around quickly. He has the players to do it so it's down to him IMO.

28 Re: Rotherham 1-1 Bolton on Fri Oct 19 2018, 20:10

T.R.O.Y

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Talk of the sack is ridiculous though. And realistically I don’t believe he’s in any danger at all, he’s overperformed so far this season, and his signings have unexpectedly come off - while not having to invest much of the Madine fee. 

Only a complete tool would think he should lose his job at this point.

29 Re: Rotherham 1-1 Bolton on Sat Oct 20 2018, 00:50

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Talk of the sack is ridiculous though. And realistically I don’t believe he’s in any danger at all, he’s overperformed so far this season, and his signings have unexpectedly come off - while not having to invest much of the Madine fee. 

Only a complete tool would think he should lose his job at this point.
Absolutely. If we get relegated or bought out though it might be a different story but that's in the future. A win at Rotherham will help.

30 Re: Rotherham 1-1 Bolton on Sat Oct 20 2018, 13:41

karlypants

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Preview: Rotherham United v Bolton Wanderers

Bolton Wanderers take on Rotherham United at the AESSEAL New York Stadium this weekend in their first game back after the October international break.

With that being said, bwfc.co.uk have picked out five talking points to take into the Sky Bet Championship away clash.

1. Squad Update

Ben Alnwick and Andrew Taylor are both back in contention this weekend after their respective injury lay-offs, while Sammy Ameobi is making good progress in his own rehabilitation.

Will Buckley meanwhile will return to training next week after leaving the field of play with an injury against Blackburn last time out.

2. Internationals Return

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

A selection of Wanderers players were invited to join up with their national sides during the past international break.

Target man Josh Magennis featured for Northern Ireland in both of their UEFA Nations League games against Austria and Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Wanderers’ top goal scorer for the season played 79 minutes of the Austria match, before coming on as a substitute for Liam Boyce on 80 minutes against Bosnia.

Polish right back Pawel Olkowski joined up with the Eagles and was an unused substitute against Italy in their 1-0 defeat.

Stephen Duke-McKenna was named as a substitute for Guyana in their 8-0 victory over Turks & Caicos Islands, with Under-18s goalkeeper Callum James also named on the bench for Wales U19s versus Poland U19s.

3. The Opposing Boss

Following a playing career spanning 15 years with well over 450 appearances, Millers boss Paul Warne has a strong relationship to the South Yorkshire club.

Joining as a player in 1999, Warne spent a total of ten seasons in two stints with the side, making over 250 appearances for the Millers.

He was a pivotal part of the squad in the early 2000s that gained back to back promotions to the First Division under Ronnie Moore.

After finishing his career in 2012, Warne immediately joined the backroom staff before taking the permanent managerial role at the AESSEAL New York Stadium in January 2017 following the resignation of Kenny Jackett.

Last season, Warne guided his Rotherham side to the Sky Bet Championship via the play-offs. An extra time strike from captain Richard Wood secured their place in the second tier of English football for this season.

4. New Boys In Town

During the summer, Rotherham brought in a number of fresh faces to the AESSEAL New York Stadium.

Billy Jones signed a two-year deal with the Millers, following his former club Sunderland getting relegated to Sky Bet League One.

A duo in the form of Clark Robertson and Kyle Vassell joined from Blackpool on free transfers on the opening day of the summer window.

Former Scotland Under-21 Robertson spent the majority of his career in his native Scotland with Aberdeen, before joining Blackpool in June 2015.

He was a key figure in their promotion to Sky Bet League One in 2016/17, being a constant member of the starting eleven under Gary Bowyer.

Northern Ireland international Vassell spent a large amount of his career in non-league football before joining Peterborough United in November 2013.

After moving to Blackpool in 2016 and enjoying a debut season promotion with the Tangerines and a fruitful goal scoring campaign in League One, the Millers came calling for Vassell’s services.

In the loan market, Zak Vyner was brought in from Bristol City, with midfielder Ryan Manning joining from fellow Sky Bet Championship club Queen Park Rangers.

5. Opponent’s Current Form

Looking at the past five games for Wanderers’ opponents at the weekend, Paul Warne’s side have picked up two points from those outings and sit 19th in the Sky Bet Championship.

Prior to the international break, the Millers suffered a defeat to Birmingham City 3-1 at St. Andrews.

Looking to their home form however, and Rotherham have lost only once this campaign at the AESSEAL New York Stadium - a statistic Wanderers will be looking to add to this weekend.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum