Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How is the Tory government doing?

+14
Cajunboy
gloswhite
xmiles
wanderlust
Natasha Whittam
okocha
Norpig
boltonbonce
Sluffy
sunlight
wessy
Ten Bobsworth
Angry Dad
Hipster_Nebula
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 37 ... 50  Next

Go down  Message [Page 25 of 50]

481How is the Tory government doing? - Page 25 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Wed Jul 08 2020, 15:26

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Interesting set of measures announced by Sunak today to try to stem the tide of rising unemployment, especially youth unemployment. Seems like a lot of money thrown at the problem but every unemployed person becomes a cost so on balance it seems OK, however the question is whether or not they are the right measures? I'm concerned that they are offering to pay employers for offering work placements to people who will receive nothing financially or academically from the experience - so it's going to be interested to see how many take it up. And in not offering further support for proper apprenticeships it does suggest a shift in thinking.

482How is the Tory government doing? - Page 25 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Thu Jul 09 2020, 13:16

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:Story of the week for me was the 12,000 job losses in just two days. Fairly sure the 'high street" is well and truly f***** now and that will lead to social change - which may inadvertently turn out to be a blessing for the environment.
Another 5300 jobs go at Boots and John Lewis despite Sunak's measures. Retail on it's arse and if a critical mass of retailers doesn't make it the rest will struggle as shopping trips will become less worthwhile and we'll retrench in our houses.

483How is the Tory government doing? - Page 25 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Thu Jul 09 2020, 13:55

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:
wanderlust wrote:Story of the week for me was the 12,000 job losses in just two days. Fairly sure the 'high street" is well and truly f***** now and that will lead to social change - which may inadvertently turn out to be a blessing for the environment.
Another 5300 jobs go at Boots and John Lewis despite Sunak's measures. Retail on it's arse and if a critical mass of retailers doesn't make it the rest will struggle as shopping trips will become less worthwhile and we'll retrench in our houses.

I don't think that is the case, I just think it is a major social 'step' change to move to on-line shopping rather than a trip out to the shops - and therefore less footfall/spending in the traditional High Street - which of course have high overheads - rents and staff wages - and impact on profitability/loss.

As for a blessing for the environment I suspect there will be a load more delivery vans and the roads going to all of these millions of households now shopping online, so maybe not as much as one would hope?

It's been going on over the last few years but has gained huge boost recently whilst everybody has been locked down and many more have thus joined them by changing their shopping habits to online too.

It wouldn't surprise me that one of the next things resulting from lockdown is a major shift from office based working to home working/Zoom type networking and a load of office buildings falling empty when company leases on them expire.

484How is the Tory government doing? - Page 25 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Thu Jul 09 2020, 14:55

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:

I don't think that is the case, I just think it is a major social 'step' change to move to on-line shopping rather than a trip out to the shops - and therefore less footfall/spending in the traditional High Street - which of course have high overheads - rents and staff wages - and impact on profitability/loss.

As for a blessing for the environment I suspect there will be a load more delivery vans and the roads going to all of these millions of households now shopping online, so maybe not as much as one would hope?

It's been going on over the last few years but has gained huge boost recently whilst everybody has been locked down and many more have thus joined them by changing their shopping habits to online too.

It wouldn't surprise me that one of the next things resulting from lockdown is a major shift from office based working to home working/Zoom type networking and a load of office buildings falling empty when company leases on them expire.
Which bit don't you think is the case? Nothing you've written appears to contradict anything I wrote..?

As for more vans on the road, one van doing 10 targeted deliveries per trip seems a better option than 10 individual trips to town and back i.e. good for the environment.

485How is the Tory government doing? - Page 25 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Thu Jul 09 2020, 15:52

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:
Sluffy wrote:

Which bit don't you think is the case? Nothing you've written appears to contradict anything I wrote..?

As for more vans on the road, one van doing 10 targeted deliveries per trip seems a better option than 10 individual trips to town and back i.e. good for the environment.

This bit -

wanderlust wrote:Retail on it's arse

High Street retail I agree with but online - amazon etc - is absolutely booming.

As for 10 individual trips to town and back, some of those 10 would use public transport (such as the Tube into London, or the tram into Manchester, etc) and no matter how targeted the deliveries are, there's always going to be additional mileage going from delivery to delivery depending on what is in stock and on the roster to be delivered on that certain day - ie someone could have gone into town and bought 10 items during their trip but by ordering them online and waiting for them to be in stock could mean 10 vans delivering an item a day for 10 days to the same house - certainly seems like it anyway with the number of delivery drivers constantly turning up daily at Sluffy Towers!

Then you have the issue of the 'returns' which seems like 99% of what is ordered because people seem to want to order the same thing in three different sizes and four different colours to find the one they actually want and send the rest back!

Maybe when we get to the point of electric vans or drones or something doing the deliveries we might see a positive environmental impact but I really can't see much improvement until then.

486How is the Tory government doing? - Page 25 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Thu Jul 09 2020, 16:20

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

So much for listening to expert advice:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53348246

487How is the Tory government doing? - Page 25 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Thu Jul 09 2020, 16:31

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote:So much for listening to expert advice:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53348246
Ah - but is it science?

489How is the Tory government doing? - Page 25 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Thu Jul 09 2020, 23:39

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Is "puppet's puppet" an actual job title?

490How is the Tory government doing? - Page 25 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Fri Jul 10 2020, 08:07

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If you want a job done badly then Grayling is your man.

491How is the Tory government doing? - Page 25 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Fri Jul 10 2020, 11:39

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

They are comparing BoJo to Hitler. At least Hitler put the hours in.

492How is the Tory government doing? - Page 25 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Fri Jul 10 2020, 12:15

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

sunlight wrote:They are comparing BoJo to Hitler. At least Hitler put the hours in.

Do you think that's funny?

493How is the Tory government doing? - Page 25 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Fri Jul 10 2020, 12:22

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Do you think that's funny?
I am not comparing him to Hitler, that was someone else. I am only comparing them in terms of days of absence.
Its like he has those dodge books like the character out of the Beano and he gets out of everything.
He isnt anything like Hitler. He is more like Roger the Dodger.

494How is the Tory government doing? - Page 25 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Fri Jul 10 2020, 13:18

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

sunlight wrote:
 He is more like Roger the Dodger.
More like Roger any woman daft enough to fall for his bullshit.
7 kids and counting.

495How is the Tory government doing? - Page 25 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Fri Jul 10 2020, 13:31

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Well, in his dodge book number 7 it told him to hide in a fridge to avoid a possible contretemps with irate people.
I imagine he has a password that you have to say to have access into number 10 and only his chums know it. You have to say it through the letterbox.
Its all a jolly wheeze.

496How is the Tory government doing? - Page 25 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Fri Jul 10 2020, 13:51

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Has he really got 7 kids?

497How is the Tory government doing? - Page 25 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Fri Jul 10 2020, 14:04

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

gloswhite wrote:Has he really got 7 kids?

No-one knows. When asked he evades any direct answer with deliberate bumbling and avoidance. Just like when he is running the country.
If asked he puts on one of his Burlesque and Vaudevillian acts to distract people from wanting an answer.

498How is the Tory government doing? - Page 25 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Fri Jul 10 2020, 14:20

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Boris and his amazing dancing teeth circa 1902.

499How is the Tory government doing? - Page 25 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Fri Jul 10 2020, 14:30

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:Has he really got 7 kids?
 He's not sure either to be fair.

500How is the Tory government doing? - Page 25 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Fri Jul 10 2020, 14:32

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

it helps to have friends in high places if you are a Tory councillor.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53361167

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 25 of 50]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 37 ... 50  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum