Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

World Ping Pong Championships

+2
Norpig
karlypants
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 6]

1World Ping Pong Championships Empty World Ping Pong Championships Sat Jan 25 2020, 08:37

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

No match this weekend, so I'd recommend watching the World Ping Pong Championships on the telly (live on SKY) or at Ally Pally. Played with sandpaper bats, it made fantastic viewing last year.

2World Ping Pong Championships Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Sat Jan 25 2020, 11:34

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha, have you ever thought about giving this sport a whirl? It may help to rid of your bingo wings!

3World Ping Pong Championships Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Sat Jan 25 2020, 12:11

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

4World Ping Pong Championships Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Sun Jan 26 2020, 08:56

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Great atmosphere at the Ally Pally yesterday and nice to see the only female doing well again.

Chen Jie reached the semi-final last year losing eventually to the previous world champion, Wang Shibo.

Another of last year's semi-finalists, Chris Doran, is coached by six-times England table tennis champion, Denis Neale. About 50 years ago I remember Denis playing for Silcoms in the Bolton & District TT league.

Apparently Denis is best known for the song 'Its Dennis Neale' made at 4.00 a.m.in McDonalds.
Don't ask me how it goes but supporters of last year's champion, Andy Baggaley, have taken to singing his name Aaron Wilbraham style.

Looking forward to today's finals.

5World Ping Pong Championships Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Sun Jan 26 2020, 12:50

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Is ping pong the same as table tennis or are they now 2 separate sports?

6World Ping Pong Championships Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Sun Jan 26 2020, 13:03

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

World Ping Pong Championships ImperturbableUnkemptLarva-size_restricted

7World Ping Pong Championships Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Sun Jan 26 2020, 13:20

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Norpig wrote:Is ping pong the same as table tennis or are they now 2 separate sports?
Basically the same. Main difference is that players can't choose their own bats and have to play with standard issue bats with sandpaper covers.
Sadly Chen Jie's got knocked out today. Next up is Gavin Rumgay a red-headed Scot who looks like Shaggy from Scooby-Doo.

8World Ping Pong Championships Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Sun Jan 26 2020, 14:21

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Chester Barnes was the only table tennis player I was really ever aware of.

World Ping Pong Championships Chester-barnes

9World Ping Pong Championships Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Sun Jan 26 2020, 15:36

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

In passing, Chester Barnes became assistant to Martin Pipe, the racehorse trainer. Bit of a rebel in the table tennis world by all accounts.

10World Ping Pong Championships Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Sun Jan 26 2020, 15:46

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

A gay icon to many young boys.

11World Ping Pong Championships Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Sun Jan 26 2020, 17:00

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Sluffy wrote:Chester Barnes was the only table tennis player I was really ever aware of.

Not that I was much good but, back in the day, I played agains Chester Barnes and Denis Neale.
It was just practice against Chester but in a match against Denis when he played for Silcoms. No idea how, Middlesborough lad, Denis wound up playing for a Farnworth engineering company.

Came across this when delving back.
https://tabletennisengland.co.uk/etta_website/magazine-archive/1964-65/tt_issue187.pdf

Fantastic atmosphere and some brilliant matches coming up on SKY from 5.00 onwards.

12World Ping Pong Championships Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Mon Jan 27 2020, 09:28

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Sluffy wrote:Chester Barnes was the only table tennis player I was really ever aware of.

Do you mean to say, Sluffy, that you are too young to have heard of Victor Barna, Johnny Leach, the Rowe twins or Ann Haydon who later, as Ann Jones, won Wimbledon and the French Open twice? Tha must be nobbut a lad.

P.S. It's George 'Chester' Barnes birthday today. He's 73. The Chester comes from his Dad listening to Charlie Chester on the radio and deciding that he'd use Chester as a nickname and it stuck.

Last edited by Ten Bobsworth on Mon Jan 27 2020, 09:44; edited 1 time in total

13World Ping Pong Championships Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Mon Jan 27 2020, 09:30

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ping Pong isn't a sport. It's a parlour game.  :bomb:

14World Ping Pong Championships Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Mon Jan 27 2020, 15:30

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:Ping Pong isn't a sport. It's a parlour game.  :bomb:
How big's your parlour, Bonce? You'd need a big un to play ping pong like these lads and lassies. They all seemed to enjoy it and so did the spectators.

Spending Saturdays watching fourth rate football players lose every week to third rate footballers aint all its cracked up to be either.

Pleased to see that Chester Barnes seems to be enjoying life to the full even if his beloved 'ammers got 'ammered on Saturday - well maybe not 'ammered but they'll not be going down Wembley Way this season.

15World Ping Pong Championships Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Mon Jan 27 2020, 17:03

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I rather like those exhibition table tennis games. Some of the shots are unbelievable.

16World Ping Pong Championships Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Tue Jan 28 2020, 10:43

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:I rather like those exhibition table tennis games. Some of the shots are unbelievable.
Chester was a master of the exhibition stuff. Yesterday there was a  picture on his Twitter page, @ChesterPingPong, of him doing a through-the-legs shot with a frying pan.

17World Ping Pong Championships Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Tue Jan 28 2020, 10:50

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Table tennis with frying pans! Now that's something I'd pay to see.

Snooker with walking sticks I wouldn't mind either.

I'd rather like to see an exhibition football match, where a typical ball from the 1950's is used, with the players also wearing boots and kit from the period.

18World Ping Pong Championships Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Tue Jan 28 2020, 11:01

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:Table tennis with frying pans! Now that's something I'd pay to see.

Snooker with walking sticks I wouldn't mind either.

I'd rather like to see an exhibition football match, where a typical ball from the 1950's is used, with the players also wearing boots and kit from the period.
You'll find the shot here:
https://twitter.com/ChesterPingPong
Just a photo mind you. Can't seem to find any videos.
Interesting collection of photos on Chesters Twitter page.

19World Ping Pong Championships Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Wed Jan 29 2020, 10:29

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Chester's thrown out a challenge to 'name this footballer' on his twitter page today.

https://twitter.com/ChesterPingPong.

World Ping Pong Championships EPbmch_WAAANFoh
Any offers. I'm fairly sure I've figured out who it is.

20World Ping Pong Championships Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Wed Jan 29 2020, 11:46

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Ten Bobsworth wrote:Chester's thrown out a challenge to 'name this footballer' on his twitter page today.

https://twitter.com/ChesterPingPong.

World Ping Pong Championships EPbmch_WAAANFoh
Any offers. I'm fairly sure I've figured out who it is.

I would reason that his initials are LS.

I think you have probably come to the same conclusion too.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum