Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.


You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Wandering Minds » World Ping Pong Championships

World Ping Pong Championships

+2
Norpig
karlypants
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 6]

101World Ping Pong Championships - Page 6 Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Fri Apr 10 2020, 12:53

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I once got into a conversation in a London pub with a bloke who turned out to be cricketer Derek Pringle, and he raved about the band. Got nowt out of him about cricket.

102World Ping Pong Championships - Page 6 Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Fri Apr 10 2020, 14:44

Ten Bobsworth


El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

boltonbonce wrote:I once got into a conversation in a London pub with a bloke who turned out to be cricketer Derek Pringle, and he raved about the band. Got nowt out of him about cricket.
How'd you come to get into conversation in a London pub with Derek Pringle and how'd you get onto HMHB? Interesting guy is Prings. I ought to get round to reading his book, 'Pushing the boundaries'.

Not been out of the house/garden for nearly a fortnight now but found a few face masks whilst de-cluttering. Which of Simon Cowell, Louis Walsh, Nigel Farage and Donald Trump would you plump for if you went out for some excercise?

103World Ping Pong Championships - Page 6 Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Fri Apr 10 2020, 14:51

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:I once got into a conversation in a London pub with a bloke who turned out to be cricketer Derek Pringle, and he raved about the band. Got nowt out of him about cricket.
How'd you come to get into conversation in a London pub with Derek Pringle and how'd you get onto HMHB? Interesting guy is Prings. I ought to get round to reading his book, 'Pushing the boundaries'.

Not been out of the house/garden for nearly a fortnight now but found a few face masks whilst de-cluttering. Which of Simon Cowell, Louis Walsh, Nigel Farage and Donald Trump would you plump for if you went out for some excercise?
I'd been dragged to London to see a show. I hate that sort of stuff but managed to get at least one pub session in. He'd retired when I met him, and I think he was working for the BBC, but cricket certainly wasn't on the menu that particular evening. Nice bloke though.

104World Ping Pong Championships - Page 6 Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Fri Apr 10 2020, 15:29

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

boltonbonce wrote:
Ten Bobsworth wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:I once got into a conversation in a London pub with a bloke who turned out to be cricketer Derek Pringle, and he raved about the band. Got nowt out of him about cricket.
How'd you come to get into conversation in a London pub with Derek Pringle and how'd you get onto HMHB? Interesting guy is Prings. I ought to get round to reading his book, 'Pushing the boundaries'.

Not been out of the house/garden for nearly a fortnight now but found a few face masks whilst de-cluttering. Which of Simon Cowell, Louis Walsh, Nigel Farage and Donald Trump would you plump for if you went out for some excercise?
I'd been dragged to London to see a show. I hate that sort of stuff but managed to get at least one pub session in. He'd retired when I met him, and I think he was working for the BBC, but cricket certainly wasn't on the menu that particular evening. Nice bloke though.
What was the show?

105World Ping Pong Championships - Page 6 Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Fri Apr 10 2020, 15:39

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Cats. :facepalm: It was awful.

106World Ping Pong Championships - Page 6 Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Sat Apr 11 2020, 08:13

Ten Bobsworth


El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

boltonbonce wrote:Cats. :facepalm: It was awful.
I'm not into musicals either, Bonsey, but I did enjoy Les Mis when I saw it in London.

Thought you might be interested in the lyrics of HMHB's, ''This Leaden Pall''. I could almost imagine you writing them:

This Leaden Pall


It’s the year 2163
Chester Barnes is risen from the dead
And he’s coming round to creosote the fence
And I for one feel spartan and monastic



As the drama unfolds on the lawn
There’s a wager between the staff and me
That Barnsey can’t complete the job before
I take my final Stannah up the stairs to the stars



Papal entourage give us a song
Papal entourage give us a song
Papal entourage give us a song
Papal entourage give us a song
Sssh…



Granddaughter doesn’t want to know
Ever since she got into the charts
Ask her what perfume she wears
“Self-Righteous” by Anita Roddick



The doctor overrates me in my room
And with the regularity of doom
A geezer with a double-necked guitar
Comes and tells me Tales From Topographic Oceans



Papal entourage give us a song
Papal entourage give us a song
Papal entourage give us a song
Papal entourage give us a song

Papal entourage give us a song
Papal entourage give us a song
Papal entourage give us a song
Papal entourage give us a song
Sssh…


Still quiet on the Chester front. If anyone's on Twitter, why not send him a tweet and let him know he's not been forgotten on Nuts.

107World Ping Pong Championships - Page 6 Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Sat Apr 11 2020, 09:21

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wonder how many people call him George?

108World Ping Pong Championships - Page 6 Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Sat Apr 11 2020, 10:50

Ten Bobsworth


El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

boltonbonce wrote:Wonder how many people call him George?
Not many I expect but he was a bit of a rebel when he was a young 'un and I couldn't help noticing that he was formally described as Mr G C Barnes when up before the ETTA for some transgression or other. He probably thought that quite funny.

Although he played doubles internationally with Denis Neale, they were rivals and Denis swore he'd jump fully-clothed off the top diving board at Crystal Palace if he lost to Chester in the final of the England Championships. He lost and he jumped, so the legend goes.

109World Ping Pong Championships - Page 6 Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Mon Apr 13 2020, 21:32

Ten Bobsworth


El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Still no news of Chester. 10 days since his last tweet.
I do hope he's OK.

110World Ping Pong Championships - Page 6 Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Thu Apr 16 2020, 08:29

Ten Bobsworth


El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Day13 and still no news from Chester!

But I came across this Pathe News footage from 1960. I reckon 42 is young Chester.



No Teddy Boys or Beatniks here

111World Ping Pong Championships - Page 6 Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Fri Apr 23 2021, 09:48

Ten Bobsworth


El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I hadn't checked up on Chester for a while. So sorry to hear he passed away recently.
RIP Chester. The only table tennis player most folk had heard of.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/mar/29/chester-barnes-obituary

112World Ping Pong Championships - Page 6 Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Fri Apr 23 2021, 10:02

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Blimey, this is news to me too. Clearly a great player, and an engaging character to boot. RIP.

Known as the George Best of table tennis, which might explain his 'George' nickname.

113World Ping Pong Championships - Page 6 Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Fri Apr 23 2021, 22:28

Ten Bobsworth


El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

boltonbonce wrote:Blimey, this is news to me too. Clearly a great player, and an engaging character to boot. RIP.

Known as the George Best of table tennis, which might explain his 'George' nickname.
George was his real christian name, Boncey, but he plainly was an engaging character and nicknamed after cheerful Charlie Chester. Cheerful was Chester Barnes to a T. I'll miss following his interests in retirement and his little photo quizzes of people he'd known and met.

https://tabletennisengland.co.uk/news/archived/obituary-the-great-chester-barnes/

114World Ping Pong Championships - Page 6 Empty Re: World Ping Pong Championships Sat Apr 24 2021, 08:38

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:
George was his real christian name, Boncey, but he plainly was an engaging character and nicknamed after cheerful Charlie Chester. Cheerful was Chester Barnes to a T. I'll miss following his interests in retirement and his little photo quizzes of people he'd known and met.

https://tabletennisengland.co.uk/news/archived/obituary-the-great-chester-barnes/

Sponsored content



Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum