Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Coronavirus - will we survive?

+19
summercummings
Bollotom2014
Norpig
Sluffy
Natasha Whittam
Ten Bobsworth
Leeds_Trotter
y2johnny
MartinBWFC
luckyPeterpiper
BoltonTillIDie
doffcocker
okocha
Cajunboy
wanderlust
karlypants
Angry Dad
finlaymcdanger
boltonbonce
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 33 ... 50  Next

Go down  Message [Page 17 of 50]

321Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 17 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Mon Mar 16 2020, 17:11

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

'Kinell!

Now Boris has come out and said "everyone should avoid social contact". The missus will be all over that. My life is evaporating before my very eyes.

322Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 17 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Mon Mar 16 2020, 17:13

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:
Cajunboy wrote:Thanks for that glos, I hope you and yours all stay free from the dreaded bug too!

We usually get the bulk of our food shopping delivered by Sainsbury's plus the odd visit to Booth's.

About two weeks ago we signed up with Ocado, just to have another string to our bow so to speak and had our first delivery last week.  Today going on the Ocado website they are saying they cannot take on any new customers at the moment, so we were very lucky to have had our first order already, another dleivery due tonight.
Welcome to the wonderful world of Ocado, Cajun. My only gripe with them is that they don't sell Holland's pies. Shocked
Ocado are too posh for shite like that. 

Selling this kind of thing doesn’t attract the clientele they want. Very Happy
Not posh KP. They'll refund the difference if your shop would have been cheaper at TESCO. Mind you, the pies they do sell are those awful Pukka things.

323Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 17 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Mon Mar 16 2020, 17:15

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:'Kinell!

Now Boris has come out and said "everyone should avoid social contact". The missus will be all over that. My life is evaporating before my very eyes.
I've been reduced to playing online UNO. Shocked  Great fun.

https://www.crazygames.com/game/uno-online

324Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 17 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Mon Mar 16 2020, 17:17

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:
karlypants wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:
Cajunboy wrote:Thanks for that glos, I hope you and yours all stay free from the dreaded bug too!

We usually get the bulk of our food shopping delivered by Sainsbury's plus the odd visit to Booth's.

About two weeks ago we signed up with Ocado, just to have another string to our bow so to speak and had our first delivery last week.  Today going on the Ocado website they are saying they cannot take on any new customers at the moment, so we were very lucky to have had our first order already, another dleivery due tonight.
Welcome to the wonderful world of Ocado, Cajun. My only gripe with them is that they don't sell Holland's pies. Shocked
Ocado are too posh for shite like that. 

Selling this kind of thing doesn’t attract the clientele they want. Very Happy
Not posh KP. They'll refund the difference if your shop would have been cheaper at TESCO. Mind you, the pies they do sell are those awful Pukka things.
Try Higgidy pies, there very good.

325Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 17 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Mon Mar 16 2020, 19:48

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Supermarkets heaving today.....not surprising after letting people know that soon the over-70s will be confined to home for a number of months in isolation. Cue panic buying! Well done, Hancock...genius!

But not as crowded as the bar at our golf club today where every table was taken by groups of people sitting and standing very close together over drinks and food laid on..... for a wake! 

So I wonder what the authorities and health experts expect us to do when someone close to us dies and we want/need to attend the funeral and its aftermath, with lots of dear friends and relatives. 
Do the deceased pass away in continued isolation and loneliness? 
Are we not allowed to pay our respects, as seems proper?

326Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 17 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Mon Mar 16 2020, 20:55

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

It did cross my mind that when Boris and the two experts did the interview, that there were what twenty or thirty reporters present, at least one TV crew, security guards and presumably advisors and political advisors in the background giving the three speakers last minute advice and information, plus presumably a host of civil servants or conference staff organising the room and clearing up after it - all in close proximity to each other for longer than the prescribed 15 minutes and two meters apart rules/advise.

I'm not knocking anybody but it just shows how difficult life will be for all of us over the forthcoming weeks and months.

Seems it won't be long before theatres, pubs and restaurants will be told to shut and care homes are put into lock down.

I suspect prisons will too but they won't want the prisoners (or their relatives) to rebel and cause trouble such as happened in Italy.

327Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 17 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Tue Mar 17 2020, 01:06

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Theatres have already locked down. I was at the RSC on Valentine's and that's gone tonight. Had to sit the missus down and tell her we need to sit down tomorrow and do some strategic financial and operational planning because simply put there's a shedload of money and jobs at risk with the business if we don't. We need to work on the assumption that potentially 6 months of income will be lost - minimum as there will be a period of getting back to "normal" after the virus has peaked - although I'm not sure what "normal" will be. We don't want to lose staff as they're talented and have been carefully selected for their skills and personalities, but we sure as hell need to work out what we need and what we need to get them to do over the next 6 months if they can't do their usual roles - and it's a business that is built on working with people and other companies. I'm officially retired for the last few years but I need to step up again now and get everyone on board for the challenges to come if we are to be survivors. Fortunately our people are bright, adaptable and totally loyal.

328Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 17 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Tue Mar 17 2020, 10:30

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Finally after the scientific community rounded on the Government's coronavirus strategy and their lack of honesty about it, the virus modelling from Imperial College that the Government is using has been published - and it predicts 250,000+ deaths* in the UK - so now it's out there and the scientific community critical of the the Government has got it's wish.

Meanwhile on the business front it's become clear that only days after Sunak's budget, his proposed measures of £12 billion support for businesses is looking completely inadequate - especially when compared to Macron's pledge that "no French business will be allowed to fail - even if it takes hundreds of billions" (which it probably will IMO)

Moreover, the whole Government strategy has been amended as they have realised the key problem with the old one - that there is no exit strategy (as I tried to explain to my troll the other day) - starting with yesterday's announcement from Boris. New, more realistic financial measures to keep businesses afloat expected soon.

I'll stop short of saying our Government lies to us, but it has to be noted that their "experts" have been very selective in the information they have released to date and partisan in their interpretation of the modelling.

* see p16 of the report. Note also that this figure assumes "even if everyone could be treated"
US deaths expected to exceed 1.1 million.

329Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 17 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Tue Mar 17 2020, 10:58

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

One student has tested positive for the virus at Ladybridge High School.

330Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 17 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Tue Mar 17 2020, 11:19

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Now that the Government is switching to a "suppression strategy" (from the "mitigation strategy" they started off with) it raises another question or two:
Suppression is geared towards limiting human-to-human transmission by isolation so if we stay indoors and don't catch it, then that limits the virus' ability to spread, but....we don't develop any immunity to it. In principle, that's fine as we can wait for an effective vaccine to be developed. They estimate that will take 12 to 18 months to become available (if Trump doesn't buy exclusivity Very Happy ) so the question is how long will we have to self-isolate for in reality? 18 months?

Secondly, the economy would collapse unless some way is developed to allow people to work "risk free". Without businesses and services, people wouldn't be able to self-isolate anyway. Haven't heard anything on how to help non online businesses and services adapt and survive yet - but I suspect this is the last rites for retail in particular.

The exit strategy isn't great but theoretically it's the best available option i.e. try to keep a lid on it until the vaccine arrives. Balancing that with keeping the economy afloat will be the key battle area.

331Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 17 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Tue Mar 17 2020, 12:18

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

If this helps anyone a chemist i know told me and he's never been wrong before that if you have had the Flu shot and more importantly the Pneumonia shot you have a better chance of getting a mild dose of the virus. Also Vit D is very important to top up on.

332Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 17 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Tue Mar 17 2020, 12:50

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Angry Dad wrote:If this helps anyone a chemist i know told me and he's never been wrong before that if you have had the Flu shot and more importantly the Pneumonia shot you have a better chance of getting a mild dose of the virus. Also Vit D is very important to top up on.
Neurologists in France and UK say Ibuprofen  makes coronavirus worse so steer clear of it - but those tossers at PHE say there is no conclusive evidence - but why take the risk?

333Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 17 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Tue Mar 17 2020, 15:24

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig, are you showing any symptoms yet?

334Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 17 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Tue Mar 17 2020, 15:35

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm fine thanks KP. I am at home today because my Daughter isn't well but it's NOT coronavirus.

335Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 17 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Tue Mar 17 2020, 15:36

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I may have to work from home at some stage so they are sorting out how they will get the bedpans to my house  Very Happy

336Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 17 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Tue Mar 17 2020, 15:42

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:I'm fine thanks KP. I am at home today because my Daughter isn't well but it's NOT coronavirus.

Good stuff. Smile

337Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 17 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Tue Mar 17 2020, 15:55

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Norpig wrote:I may have to work from home at some stage so they are sorting out how they will get the bedpans to my house  Very Happy

Fair play to you mate because as far as I know you are the only one of us from Nuts, on the frontline combating this thing and you and all the rest of your colleagues all around the world have our respect and thanks.

Hers a virtual round of applause from me!

:clap:

(Well ok, from what you have told us I know you aren't at the sharp end of things but you are part of a team that most definitely are).

We might have had our differences in the past and probably will do in the future but that's about nothing more than over a game of footy (and in particular the finance behind it) and also who your mates are on a random footy forum but in real life we'd be in a real mess without you and all the rest of your colleagues, now more than ever.

Real life comes first every time.

338Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 17 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Tue Mar 17 2020, 16:06

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I wouldn't blame Norpig if he was on the frontline and did a runner to protect his family.

It must be worrying for those who are on the frontline from what can be seen from the situation in Italy.

339Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 17 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Tue Mar 17 2020, 16:09

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:Finally after the scientific community rounded on the Government's coronavirus strategy and their lack of honesty about it, the virus modelling from Imperial College that the Government is using has been published - and it predicts 250,000+ deaths* in the UK - so now it's out there and the scientific community critical of the the Government has got it's wish.

Meanwhile on the business front it's become clear that only days after Sunak's budget, his proposed measures of £12 billion support for businesses is looking completely inadequate - especially when compared to Macron's pledge that "no French business will be allowed to fail - even if it takes hundreds of billions" (which it probably will IMO)

Moreover, the whole Government strategy has been amended as they have realised the key problem with the old one - that there is no exit strategy (as I tried to explain to my troll the other day) - starting with yesterday's announcement from Boris. New, more realistic financial measures to keep businesses afloat expected soon.

I'll stop short of saying our Government lies to us, but it has to be noted that their "experts" have been very selective in the information they have released to date and partisan in their interpretation of the modelling.

* see p16 of the report. Note also that this figure assumes "even if everyone could be treated"
US deaths expected to exceed 1.1 million.

Cranky
/ˈkraŋki/

adjective
adjective: cranky; comparative adjective: crankier; superlative adjective: crankiest

informal•British
Eccentric or strange.

Why do you always believe there is a conspiracy when the real truth is as simple as this -

"In the last 24 hours, Downing Street's instructions to the public to protect everyone's health changed at breakneck speed as new scientific data emerged".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51931734

From Laura Kuenssberg the BBC's Political editor.

You do know who the BBC is don't you, that organisation that the Conservatives hate and Boris seemed so intent on dismantling just days before coronavirus took over everything, by scraping it's funding?

Do you think she's part of the conspiracy 'spin' too?

You probably do!

340Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 17 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Tue Mar 17 2020, 16:10

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:I wouldn't blame Norpig if he was on the frontline and did a runner to protect his family.
Are you suggesting that Norpig, a hero of the NHS, a stalwart of the ULTRAS, would run away from the battle?

Outrageous.  Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 17 of 50]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 33 ... 50  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum