Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

OFFICIAL - Ian Evatt is our new manager!!!

+10
Norpig
BoltonTillIDie
Whitesince63
Boggersbelief
gloswhite
wessy
boltonbonce
Cajunboy
terenceanne
Natasha Whittam
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Very Happy

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

gloswhite wrote:What will be in his favour is that he has no baggage, will no doubt be fired up with the opportunity, and as a result may well bring a new attitude to the tired and listless one we've had for the last 2 years.
New club (in effect), new manager, new players, new ideas, and a fresh start. Why not?
FV have played it pretty cannily so far, so I for one am happey to go with their ideas.
Right now, I'd go with Ricketts as well.
Not many actual facts in this Glosy  - whoever comes in has the exact same problem as Keith - skint, no players, embargo etc etc..... the only thing fresh will be the new man and his assistants.
Good luck to us all.

Well yes but the hope is the new man is better than the old man, not sure what you’re struggling with here Terrence.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Official confirmation tomorrow 5pm. Done deal for Evatt

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Here is a young, successful and ambitious manager with all the right beliefs about how the game should be played, has ignited the careers of previous failures like Scott Quigley (20 goals) and John Rooney (17 goals from midfield) by enthusing them and believing in them, yet we still have some on here who would rather have journeymen managers whose predominant experience is in failure. The mind boggles. He built his Barrow team from nothing, with little or no money by recruiting players he’d identified after extensive research and face to face interviews and challenged them to achieve. He has his own ambition to manage in the PL, something he could, like BSA, achieve with us. I say get him in, leave Atherton in Barrow and appoint DL as assistant and Nicky Spooner 1st team coach. Job done.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

terenceanne wrote:
Not many actual facts in this Glosy  - whoever comes in has the exact same problem as Keith - skint, no players, embargo etc etc..... the only thing fresh will be the new man and his assistants.
Good luck to us all.
That's the point I suppose T. Its wide open for whoever steps in, and its more about the person than the team, its history, etc. No blinkered or hobbled managers need apply.  Very Happy

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Nicely put 63. Agree wholeheartedly, and now we've got Boggers endorsement, its sorted.  Very Happy

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Whitesince63 wrote:I say get him in, leave Atherton in Barrow and appoint DL as assistant and Nicky Spooner 1st team coach. Job done.

He needs to come with his right hand man or not at all.

Remember Neil Lennon?

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Whitesince63 wrote:Here is a young, successful and ambitious manager with all the right beliefs about how the game should be played, has ignited the careers of previous failures like Scott Quigley (20 goals) and John Rooney (17 goals from midfield) by enthusing them and believing in them, yet we still have some on here who would rather have journeymen managers whose predominant experience is in failure. The mind boggles. He built his Barrow team from nothing, with little or no money by recruiting players he’d identified after extensive research and face to face interviews and challenged them to achieve. He has his own ambition to manage in the PL, something he could, like BSA, achieve with us. I say get him in, leave Atherton in Barrow and appoint DL as assistant and Nicky Spooner 1st team coach. Job done.
Agree with this nothing to add.Other than if his assistant does come probably works better.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:

He needs to come with his right hand man or not at all.

Probably won't as Barrow are talking about keeping Atherton to take over the main job. To me that's a concern as we don't know to what extent Evatt's success was down to his assistant Peter Atherton - who Barrow obviously rate. 
I'm also concerned that we will be shelling out around £200k which would otherwise be on the pitch. 
On balance, is Evatt without his assistant a better prospect than retaining the more experienced Hill who also knows the players, the market, has a plan in place and is armed with £200k to spend?
I'm not convinced he is.

In fact if folk are happy enough for the club to cough up £200k for Evatt who has no management experience at L2 level and - as Barrow seem to believe - his assistant knows as much as Evatt does, why not forget Evatt and go for Atherton on a freebie instead so the money ends up where we need it FFS?

OK it's a new dawn but having had so many new dawns over the years forgive me if I don't get overexcited just yet. Right now it just looks like another expensive punt and all the chopping and changing has been killing us for years - but whoever ends up in the job I'm hoping it works out for a change.

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

All moved on a bit now.  with an agreement close, which includes bringing Atherton.

WANDERERS are set to appoint Ian Evatt as their new manager after agreeing a compensation deal with Barrow.

The club is understood to have settled a dispute over the terms of the 38-year-old’s contract at Holker Street and will now discuss personal terms.

Sources close to the deal believe an announcement could be made in the next 24 hours which confirms Evatt as the replacement for Keith Hill at the University of Bolton Stadium.

Peter Atherton, Evatt’s assistant, is part of the deal – ending speculation that he could stay on in Cumbria.

Wanderers are playing fourth tier football for only the second time in their history but believe the former Blackpool and Chesterfield defender, who led Barrow to an unlikely promotion from the National League last season, is the perfect man to revive their fortunes.

Compensation for the remaining two years of his contract has proved an issue, with Barrow claiming they were owed £250,000 as part of a “golden handcuffs” agreement.

Wanderers initially refused to meet their demands but it is understood the two clubs have now come to an agreement and that an official appointment is imminent.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Excellent should be interesting hopefully the start of a move in the right direction.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Like to just point out my ITK has turned out correct once again.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Iles now saying money has been agreed.
He'd better be worth it.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It does seem a lot for a young manager with no EFL experience but he'll get my backing.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Mr Pig, don't, you'll scare him away  Very Happy

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

My mole still says Ricketts.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:My mole still says Ricketts.
Hit it with a spade.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Unless we can expect a certain level of investment in playing staff, I don't think any manager is worth quarter of a million to us. It is a lot of money at League Two level, the kind that only some teams will spend on player transfer fees.

I suspect the board hasn't done a great deal of research, they're probably just basing the decision on wanting to pick a young new up and coming manager who has had some success at a smaller club and might be tempted to jump ship. Nothing wrong with that obviously, except that a few of our most recent managers have matched that description, but not had the backing they were expecting and subsequently been marked down as failures.

It definitely shows a little ambition, let's just hope it's a sign of things to come.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum