Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

OFFICIAL - Ian Evatt is our new manager!!!

+10
Norpig
BoltonTillIDie
Whitesince63
Boggersbelief
gloswhite
wessy
boltonbonce
Cajunboy
terenceanne
Natasha Whittam
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 5]

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I have to say that I was optimistic with Hill, but always had my reservations. I think the new boss is different. I can't quite put my finger on it, but even if we don't have a good start, I think the things he's aiming for are more positive, especially in the long-term.

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Natasha Whittam wrote:I've nothing against the guy, but the fan reaction was exactly the same when Hill took over.

True, but surely he is unlikely to be as bonkers as Hill proved to be... ..dunno..

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

okocha wrote:
True, but surely he is unlikely to be as bonkers as Hill proved to be... ..dunno..
...but probably won't be in a position to make 9 signings on his first day either

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Evatt is so positive, I'm sure we'll get away with a couple of cardboard cutouts if we can't get the players he wants.  Very Happy

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:
okocha wrote:
...but probably won't be in a position to make 9 signings on his first day either

Tbh I wasn't over the moon when we got Hill but I did think we had done well getting a manager with experience and a degree of success at the level we had then become.

I had no idea of many/any of the players he signed but I did think (and still do) that he had done well up to the approach of January, then something clearly happened behind the scenes and to be frank he was just a waste of space after then.

His interviews were bizarre to say the least and I think basically he most have behaved similarly behind the scenes and pissed people off - notably those in charge or influenced by them (Peter Kenyon perhaps?).

I reckon the thinking around that time was that we wouldn't escape relegation unless Hill was backed to the hilt (maybe not even if he was) and that they weren't prepared to do that.  Maybe Hill wanted an extended contract perhaps and they said no.

I think whatever happened the planning from around that point in time was based on seeing out Hills contract (maybe the wasn't the funds to sack him and Flitcroft and bring a new management team in with half the season left and hope whoever came in had a magic wand to save us?) accepting relegation was probably a certainty and start to plan for next season.

Maybe it is just my imagination but if you read Iles interview with Phoenix

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

and start with the thought that his appointment was based around something like - the plan is to get rid of Hill, so your job is to keep the football side of the club functioning until his contract is up and at the same time plan for a successor who will build a style of football that is both appealing to the fans (to keep them coming through the doors) and sustainable (not chopping between dour stuff - Megson and Parkinson and kamikaze stuff like that idiot Coyle) - all within a sustainable budget.  Oh and if you have any problems Hill (which no doubt you will) refer him to Kenyon who will deal with him) - then it all sorts of slots in - well it does for me!

Anyway I'm sorry for Hill in a small way but I think that every time he opened his mouth that he brought all this upon himself and really pleased/excited that we seem to be going down the innovative football route under Evatt and with sensible financial planning behind it.

What could possibly go wrong with that eh!

Fingers crossed!

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm a big fan of Ian Evatt but facts have to be faced and he's just lost his first five competitive matches.
"Possession-based, entertaining football with goals" is technically correct but we kind of assumed he meant goals for us. Maybe it's one of the concerns expressed in this thread but I only hope he's not out of his depth. 
However, if the players that he has signed genuinely have the talents he said he saw in them, and he can motivate them and moreover get them to do the basics we should be OK. But the longer it goes without a win - or even a great performance - the harder it gets.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Something isn't going to plan obviously -

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I never imagined we'd ever play Harrogate Town but life does throw up some twists and turns and now they are our next opponents. Plus they are sitting 14 places above us in the league with a win and two draws under their belt. So not only do we actually have to play them but they are probably favourites to win.
How f***** up is that?
And if we lose, Evatt will extend his record losing streak to 6 and morale will plummet even further.

Eoin Doyle can't be banging in 25 goals a season if he's running to the wings to get the ball or dropping back to try and link up play and despite that we still look full of holes. If this system is ever to work, those players will have to massively increase their work load to find the spaces and find a bit of quality in their movement and passing.

Miracle turnaround needed and the answer lies with this manager and those players but so far I haven't seen anything to suggest they've got it in them. Saturday will tell us more.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum