Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Coronavirus - will we survive?

+20
BoltonTillIDie
finlaymcdanger
Cajunboy
sunlight
Ten Bobsworth
wessy
luckyPeterpiper
observer
bwfc71
Angry Dad
okocha
xmiles
gloswhite
Natasha Whittam
boltonbonce
Sluffy
wanderlust
Boggersbelief
Norpig
karlypants
24 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 41 ... 48  Next

Go down  Message [Page 34 of 48]

661Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 34 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Tue Oct 20 2020, 20:23

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Norpig wrote:Well guess who's in lockdown for the fourth time? My lad has a cough so we've ordered a test for him so we need to self isolate AGAIN!

At least you know the drill!

Hope your son is ok.

662Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 34 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Tue Oct 20 2020, 21:08

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:

At least you know the drill!

Hope your son is ok.
Thanks Sluffy, he has a bad cough but no temperature but we have to get him tested just in case.

663Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 34 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Wed Oct 21 2020, 00:28

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Norpig wrote:
Thanks Sluffy, he has a bad cough but no temperature but we have to get him tested just in case.

Hope all goes well with that Norpig!

664Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 34 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Wed Oct 21 2020, 09:24

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

There's a book deal in this somewhere mate. Hope everything's OK.

665Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 34 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Wed Oct 21 2020, 13:45

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Well fair play to the Trust i work at, we logged it with them last night and a nurse has been to the house this morning to test my lad. 

My actual department though are useless, sent me home yesterday with a laptop that i can't log on to so i can remote desktop from and still expect me to work from home even though the only thing i can access is email on my own laptop!

666Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 34 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Tue Oct 27 2020, 11:53

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Here is one of the many articles relating to the news that antibodies to Covid decline in a matter of weeks which seriously undermines the credibility of herd immunity theory and implies that an annual vaccination programme is the most likely long-term solution for many.
The massive study indicated that health workers and BAME maintained higher levels of antibodies for longer - presumably due to being "topped up" with more frequent contact with infected people.
Older people had a faster rate of decline of antibodies - so is this because they tend to self-isolate more?
Either way it seems that once a person has antibodies to fight the disease regular contact with infected people is a good thing.
So should the strategy be that once we have a vaccine, people vaccinated should be encouraged to have MORE social contact with others rather than less?

667Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 34 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Tue Oct 27 2020, 13:42

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

My lads test came back negative so we can leave the house now  Very Happy

668Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 34 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Tue Oct 27 2020, 14:18

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:My lads test came back negative so we can leave the house now  Very Happy
Good. Cool

Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 34 Cat_burglar

669Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 34 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Tue Oct 27 2020, 14:23

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Yip, pleased for you all.

Stay safe.

670Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 34 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Tue Oct 27 2020, 15:45

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:My lads test came back negative so we can leave the house now  Very Happy
Great!

671Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 34 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Tue Oct 27 2020, 15:50

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The world will be a better place when we have the 5 minute test

672Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 34 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Wed Nov 04 2020, 09:23

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 34 Iht0RKt

673Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 34 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Thu Nov 05 2020, 23:31

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

A little news snippet that could cause us a big problem - hope not though -

Coronavirus: Denmark imposes lockdowns amid mink covid fears

Danish authorities have said a lockdown will be introduced in some areas over a coronavirus mutation found in mink that can spread to humans.

The government has warned that the effectiveness of any future vaccine could be affected by the mutation.

Authorities said 12 people had been infected with the mutated strain

On Wednesday, Ms Frederiksen said the mutated virus had been found to weaken the body's ability to form antibodies, potentially making the current vaccines under development for Covid-19 ineffective.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54833459

674Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 34 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Fri Nov 06 2020, 00:46

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:A little news snippet that could cause us a big problem - hope not though -

Coronavirus: Denmark imposes lockdowns amid mink covid fears

Danish authorities have said a lockdown will be introduced in some areas over a coronavirus mutation found in mink that can spread to humans.

The government has warned that the effectiveness of any future vaccine could be affected by the mutation.

Authorities said 12 people had been infected with the mutated strain

On Wednesday, Ms Frederiksen said the mutated virus had been found to weaken the body's ability to form antibodies, potentially making the current vaccines under development for Covid-19 ineffective.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54833459
That's astoundingly scary. Previously been told that covid mutates slowly and therefore a vaccine would cover (small) mutations for a while but attacking antibody production is genius and if it continues to mutate down that path...well without antibodies we're fucked.
Scientists need to get on with a vaccine that resists the attack and it would be worth checking out if the virus mutation is determined by the host species and consider cross-contamination measures. I'm worried.

675Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 34 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Thu Nov 26 2020, 19:47

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Wetherspoons have a new Beer available. The law says you can drink as long as you have a substantial meal.

Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 34 12832910

676Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 34 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Thu Nov 26 2020, 22:04

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

sunlight wrote:Wetherspoons have a new Beer available. The law says you can drink as long as you have a substantial meal.

Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 34 12832910

Very Happy

677Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 34 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Fri Nov 27 2020, 18:55

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 34 LsoHqPH

678Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 34 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Fri Nov 27 2020, 22:05

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

sunlight wrote:Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 34 LsoHqPH
Do cocktails count?

679Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 34 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Fri Nov 27 2020, 22:45

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

This tier thing is going to cause a ruckus or three. 
We're T2 - same as an area with treble our infection rate. The area with half our infection rate is the Isle of White. Thing is, we've had a total of two infections in our town and the two that had it have recovered so now we have no infections. The nearest place where someone has Covid is a 20 minute drive away. A lot of people would like to change the boundaries of the Tier system so that they come in line with the science i.e. more targeted so that the most serious restrictions are in the places with the highest growth in transmission - and everyone else can get on with their lives providing we spend a bit of time thinking about movement between areas in different tiers. Do-able, sensible and good for the economy, mental health etc.
So it's coming up for approval in parliament but it's been submitted as an "unamendable" paper by the government.
That means that they are not willing to listen to sensible and positive suggestions to refine it.
The stupidity of not listening to other opinions before finally deciding is a sad indictment of this government.
So the choice the government is giving Parliament is "Do you want no measures to prevent the spread of coronavirus whatsoever - or do you prefer to accept the Tier system as we have laid it out?

There is further irony in this sad tale. Pundits anticipate a Tory revolt and we could end up in a situation where it gets voted through by Labour MPs.

I heard on the radio that when asked "why doesn't the government have a more targeted tier system?" a government spokesman said "it would be too complicated".
FFS.  He might have well have said "Yeah - we're reknowned quitters us English." 
Surely this Conservative Government should be saying "We have the skills, ingenuity and entrepreneurism to solve these problems and continually improve our prospects and global influence as a nation?"
No chance. They are giving Parliament all or nothing.
A lot of folk will not be happy.

680Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 34 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Sat Nov 28 2020, 00:10

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

At the end of the day it is people that spread the virus and not the government.

Also you have to remember that government in this country is by the 'consent' of the people - which means basically if overwhelming numbers of people don't want to do what the government asks/tells them to do, then there's really not much they can do to stop them doing whatever they want.

We've seen the government basically 'ask' the people to abide by lockdown and after about three or four weeks people got fed up of it and started to break the rules.

Then when the virus inevitably started to spread out of control again the government introduced local lockdowns and got embroiled with all the quibbles by the local Mayors who were from a different political party to the government like the week long stand off with Burnham and his political point scoring stance.

We also have the 'political' game within a game, where you have newly elected Conservative MP's in traditional Labour seats where Covid had got out of hand and where 'lockdown' was unpopular by their electorate - so what should they do, stand up for their own government or vote against it because they represent their electorate - who wont forgive or forget if they don't - and a Conservative party not wishing to lose immediately these northern safe Labour seats they have only just won!

I'm sure everybody will have done their sums and worked out that these Tory 'rebels' can vote against the government (so stand up for their electorate) knowing the vote will still be carried.

Did I mention that it's all a game?

So lets move on to area 'lockdowns' - yes of course it's harsh to be in level 2 if there's no Covid in your 'village' but if Covid is active 20 minutes away - and people are the ones who spread it - then does anyone really think that you are 'locked up' in a Tier 2 area and everybody is completely free and 'unlocked' just 20 minutes away, then how many people will simply just jump into their cars and drive 20 minutes and go to the pubs and restaurants there which are open whilst those at home are shut?

Loads will.

And that's exactly what we saw with people driving halfway across the country to go to the sea side when their areas where under lockdown!

The only real way you can stop it if you more or less put most of the country into the same tier - which in effect they've done - the north and midlands in tier 3 and the rest of the country in tier 2 with just a few tweaks here and there.

Then there is the question of should we even have any lockdowns anyway?

My view is basically is 'the greater good' one, meaning protect the elderly and sick and let everyone else get on with their lives, rather than 'stop the world' to protect the few.

To my mind the positive cases have been strangely consistent since the schools and universities went back and have in general terms averaged around the low twenty thousands over that period - which is rather odd!

It is odd because we are led to believe cases 'double' about every fortnight - and that hasn't happened - as I say its seems to have remained constant - why is this?

My reasoning is that it is because of three 'mini' waves - as one falls the next one rises - and so the amount is about the same.

I think the numbers shot up dramatically (as I expected they would!) when the universities went back and the kids went wild being away from the parents for the first time.  As the cases eventually began to drop you had the next mini wave of the virus catching hold in the communities in the north - and as the numbers dropped from the uni students they were replaced by the rise in the community towns and city's such as Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle, Bradford, etc.

Once their numbers started to fall the third mini wave of the community's in the midlands and the south took off and replaced them - and so the numbers kept at a surprising consistency over a period of several weeks.

High positive cases in themselves aren't a problem it is the effect on the NHS that is and hospitals have began to fell the strain.

If this was summer I don't think even now it would have been such an issue but the big worry is the seasonal demand on the NHS over winter and if it could cope with the normal seasonal increase plus Covid as well - and clearly the thinking is that it could not.

The government is trapped between a rock and a hard place, don't put the country into tier 2 and 3 and the NHS may well fail, or save the NHS and have everyone moaning about being in lockdown.

Politically they fear deaths getting out of hand more than anything else, they know people won't follow local lockdowns - they'll just drive 20 minutes to where there isn't a lockdown instead (and pass on the virus in doing so), so really the government has done the only sensible thing it could do - even though it is unpopular with many such as Wanderlust.

And fwiw Broadland had more positive cases today (and yesterday) than Norwich!

Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 34 En3mVNFXUAASB8p?format=png&name=900x900

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 34 of 48]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 41 ... 48  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum