Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Should artificial pitches be allowed in league 1 and 2?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Just read that Sutton Utd are having to rip up their artificial pitch as they aren't allowed in the EFL. Seems strange to me that in league 1 and 2 they aren't allowed as we all saw the state of some of the pitches we played on last season.

The other issue is that because it was artificial it was used every day by their academy and by the womens and girls teams and they will have to play elsewhere. The pitch could be hired out as well so was a source of income for the club which has now dried up. Its almost as if they are being punished for getting promoted!

The 3G pitches now are fantastic and not like the old artificial pitches we remember from the likes of Preston so in my mind they should be allowed in the lower leagues, anyone else have an opinion?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57336301

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I think the reason they aren't is that they give an unfair advantage to the home team who can train and play on them daily.

Didn't some pitches have difference bounces, and some clubs deliberately sanded their artificial pitches to kill the bounce which gave their players who had practiced on them the playing advantage?

Something like that anyway.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We've recently been playing on a newly laid 3G pitch and I have to say it's impressive. Bounce is even, surface is a dream (so there are no excuses Smile) passing is slicker when it's wet and best of all I don't go home with boots full of rubber chips which get everywhere and get me in trouble with the missus. (There are still a few but it's a massive improvement on the old pitch)

TBH it's loads better than some of the bobbly pitches we saw in League 2 and of course they are all-weather and require little maintenance so would help with club finances.
Hybrid pitches are already allowed (at Derby for example) but they're expensive and require maintenance so I genuinely can't see any valid reason for not allowing 3G which would be great for many clubs.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It makes sense to me to have the lower leagues allowing 3G pitches, they are that good now that they are better than grass in many ways and would also cut down on the number of postponements due to bad weather.

I remember the shite one Preston had, things have definitely improved since then!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum