Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton's next manager - betting talk!

+13
rammywhite
Angry Dad
Reebok_Rebel
BoltonTillIDie
bwfc71
Lyric Todkill
doffcocker
Reebok Trotter
Natasha Whittam
Culcheth_White
wanderlust
Hipster_Nebula
Michael Bolton
17 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1Bolton's next manager - betting talk! Empty Bolton's next manager - betting talk! Thu Oct 11 2012, 18:04

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I hope no one minds me starting this post on Bolton's next manager, but I want this post to discuss betting on who will be next manager. Anyone who knows me knows I am very into gambling and there are some seriously good odds out there.

No one knows Bolton and Phil Gartside better than us lot. I remember I won money on Owen Coyle being next manager some 2 or 3 years ago, well I want to win on this too.

Oddchecker shows all the best odds for different managers.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I want to chat with people who are also interested in betting on this. I believe we can work out who will be next manager going by what we know about past appointments.

This is what I think:

I think we would be willing to offer compensation to a club for the right manager, Eddie Davies will demand we get the right man who can take us up. This season is our best chance for promotion and we need to what with the huge increases in TV money for the Premiership starting next season. We did pay compensation to get Coyle and Megson and we did poach Big Sam to quit Notts County. So I don't think you can rule out anyone.

What I noticed with the appointments of Big Sam and Owen Coyle was that their career's were on an upward curve, they were unproven in the Premiership, it was unknown just how good they would become. I think we will go for a manager who is similar to that - unproven at the top level, but is ambitious and has bags of potential.

I see our situation right now as a mirror image of when Colin Todd left. We were 18th in the championship and we needed a manager who was ambitious, a manager who had huge potential and would jump at the chance to come to Bolton as we are a bigger club than where they are at now and wouldn't make huge demands on the board for money.

I think you can rule out McCarthy because he has a proven record that he is useless in the Premiership. I think you can rule out OGS because I don't believe he would come to Bolton and he hasn't managed in England. I would also rule out Billy Davies, Phil Brown, Sammy Lee and Alex McLeish. I don't think any of them will make Eddie Davies or Phil Gartside believe they can take the club forwards.

I think managers like Roy Keane, Souness, Steve Keane, etc are also easy to dismiss, they have all been rubbish with previous clubs. I also think Michael Appleton is a ridiculous candidate, he is as low as 5/1 in some bookies.

IMO the candidates that may be in with the biggest shout are: Gus Poyet, Paulo Di Canio and Ian Holloway.

Poyer = 80/1 at Betvictor

Di Canio = 25/1 at most bookies

Ian Hollway = 40/1 at Betvictor.

What do people think? Anyone agree one of those three could be the next Bolton boss? Anyone have any other ideas?

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Well if it's appleton I'm gonna make 60 quid so that will soften the blow of that terrible terrible appointment.

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Its no way it will be Appleton, he has done absolutely nothing, Portsmouth look really poor this season. No chance they will see anything in him.

I have always thought Ian Holloway would be a great manager. He has done a great job at Blackpool, he is a manager with potential and very likeable and is good at wheeling and dealing. I do believe he would leave Blackpool to come to Bolton.

IMO managers like Sammy Lee, Campo, Shearer, etc who have either not managed before or only managed a few games have no chance. I do believe we'll be quite excited by the choice of manager. Holloway or Di Canio I think are great bets.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gauging the mood of fans on twitter and the like, outside of OGS there's no one that would be met with "excitement"

So the appointment will piss off most people i suspect.

Gartside seems keen to promote Sammy Lee for some reason and what manager doesn't like having his own staff with him? Only a real novice or someone desperate for a job would take on that kind of thing.

hence why i expect it to be an Appleton, Brown, or a "coachy" type manager.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm not suggesting that the odds are not a guide to the end result but couldn't help noticing that Amir Khan is 250-1 to get the job. (Ladbrokes)

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I notice a few are mentioning Mick the Prick again.

Surely the BN weren't wrong!?! Evil or Very Mad

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I've been checking oddschecker with great interest. Even though the BEN said that we are not in for McCarthy, his odds from yesterday haven't changed much today, he's still around even money, which is strange.(he's drifted for the Rovers job today though).

I think a good outside bet would be Di Canio though, he's around 25/1 and I don't think the compensation would be too bad.

I can't believe Bet Fred, are offering 7/2 for Michael Appleton, what the fook!

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I don't think Bolton will plump for a manager already employed. Having spent a pretty packet getting rid of Coyle and his family I can't see a club £110m in debt wanting to fork out another £1m+ to oust a manager employed elsewhere.

Despite all the talk frum Uncle Phil about him wanting a young manager, I still think it'll be Billy Davies, or worse, some mixture involving Sammy Lee.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Alan Shearer has come in a tonne today as has Freedman.

I'll be honest people that would excite me (not sexually) OGS, Freedman, Gary Neville.

People that i would be fine with: Keane, Billy Davies, Curbs.

Seething: Mick, Big Eck, Appleton, Shearer, Brown, Dowie, (chuff in other words)

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Natasha Whittam wrote:I don't think Bolton will plump for a manager already employed. Having spent a pretty packet getting rid of Coyle and his family I can't see a club £110m in debt wanting to fork out another £1m+ to oust a manager employed elsewhere.

Despite all the talk frum Uncle Phil about him wanting a young manager, I still think it'll be Billy Davies, or worse, some mixture involving Sammy Lee.
Billy Davies is still a good bet, he's been pretty well backed in the betting. The fact that Julian Derby, who is our under 16's coach and he's worked with Davies a few times, that might benefit Davies, plus he's not under contract.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Culcheth_White wrote:
Billy Davies is still a good bet, he's been pretty well backed in the betting. The fact that Julian Derby, who is our under 16's coach and he's worked with Davies a few times, that might benefit Davies, plus he's not under contract.

I'm not really against Billy Davies, but as Hipster said earlier, it would be such a boring choice. We need a manager who can lift the players and supporters.

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Alan Shearer is only 8/1 with Sky bet. He's 16/1 with Paddy Power. He seems to be a big mover at the moment.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Shearer is an interesting one. He didn't have a lot of time at Newcastle to turn things round. I would have thought he would have been more likely to head for Blackburn but as he is vegetarian I am guessing the thought of chicken makes him heave.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

who is putting money on Shearer.

Christ that would be bloody awful.

clueless.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:who is putting money on Shearer.

clueless.

He'd have Kevin Davies first name on the teamsheet every single week!

LOL - no fucking way is Shearer going to Bolton. No way, he wouldn't do it to us.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Coyle is 2/1 to go back to Burnley. Can't see that happening.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:who is putting money on Shearer.

clueless.

He'd have Kevin Davies first name on the teamsheet every single week!

well thats one positive.

but listening to him on MOTD you can tell he's a terrible analyser of football.

As aposed to GNEV who is a good one.

Mick McCarthy was seen at the reebok tonight scribbling notes on the back of a fag packet and he team sheets in his hand, so make of that what you will ITK.

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

There seems very little movement in the betting market on next boss. I put ten quid on di canio yesterday. I really think this is an interesting market and some great odds on very likely candidates. Could be interesting to know what di canio does at full time today at Swindon. Remember coyle waving bye to burnley fans a few days before he came to us?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Anyone else other than Di Canio would now be a massive disappointment to me.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum