Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Transfer rumours !

+26
Sluffy
Keegan
observer
Norpig
boltonbonce
Whitesince63
Boggersbelief
Hipster_Nebula
bryan458
Hip Priest
Natasha Whittam
Bolton Nuts
okocha
Cajunboy
wessy
Ten Bobsworth
BoltonTillIDie
karlypants
terenceanne
finlaymcdanger
dutchwhites63
BarrygoestoBolton
Feby
Growler
whatsgoingon
BoltonWondering
30 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18 ... 32  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 32]

81Transfer rumours ! - Page 5 Empty Re: Transfer rumours ! Sat Jun 18 2022, 21:53

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

BoltonWondering wrote:If we sign a right back, whether that's Fossey or someone else. Plus a centreback I think our business will be pretty much done.

I hope not. If we don't sign a midfield battler we will be finishing mid-table once again.

82Transfer rumours ! - Page 5 Empty Re: Transfer rumours ! Sun Jun 19 2022, 01:23

BoltonWondering

BoltonWondering
David Ngog
David Ngog

Natasha Whittam wrote:

I hope not. If we don't sign a midfield battler we will be finishing mid-table once again.
I take your point but respectfully disagree. I think the current squad even without a Fossey or equivalent is more than capable of getting into the top 6. The form before our injuries and Sarcevic drama was mid table form and we had a soft underbelly but from mid January onwards we looked very good and our PPG was basically automatic promotion form. There was still an element of the soft underbelly but much less so.

MJ is the closest thing we have to a battler but when we switched to 5 at the back, we were less reliant on his midfield aggression and actually looked better without him at times. I do agree we need a bit more bite though, but I don't think another midfielder will be the difference between us getting playoffs/autos and not. Thomason, Lee, MJ, Sheehan, Morley, Dempsey are all competing for those midfield spots and I have heard that Iredale can even fill in at defensive midfield. So I doubt another midfielder is high up the list of priorities unless we loan out Thomason or someone else leaves.

http://www.boltonwondering.com

83Transfer rumours ! - Page 5 Empty Re: Transfer rumours ! Sun Jun 19 2022, 07:38

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Cheers, BW - we follow each other on twitter as well. Nice to see you here. I have a suspicion that there has been a signing or two for the first team that has not been announced yet. I think the Trafford signing had been sewn up and was only announced because the news broke that we were drawing the line under signing Fossey. Just good PR timing. We haven't seen any new faces in the training footage, but that would be easy to do - just make sure that no new face/s are in the released material.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

84Transfer rumours ! - Page 5 Empty Re: Transfer rumours ! Sun Jun 19 2022, 10:46

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

BoltonWondering wrote:I take your point but respectfully disagree. I think the current squad even without a Fossey or equivalent is more than capable of getting into the top 6.

Sorry BW, but I can't agree. We played 12 games against the teams that finished in the top 6 and won just once (I think). We were battered by some of these teams, especially Wigan, MK Dons & Rotherham. Had we had a midfield brawler in the mould of Karl Henry I don't think we'd have been as easy to steamroll.

85Transfer rumours ! - Page 5 Empty Re: Transfer rumours ! Sun Jun 19 2022, 13:39

BoltonWondering

BoltonWondering
David Ngog
David Ngog

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Sorry BW, but I can't agree. We played 12 games against the teams that finished in the top 6 and won just once (I think). We were battered by some of these teams, especially Wigan, MK Dons & Rotherham. Had we had a midfield brawler in the mould of Karl Henry I don't think we'd have been as easy to steamroll.

Yeah, our record against the top teams wasn't great, I do think it will be better next season and our weakness last season was definitely being bullied by physical teams. Stockport and Burton were prime examples of that. No doubt it will happen against next season, just hopefully less frequently. I have high hopes for this season. Fingers crossed that doesn't bite me on the backside haha

86Transfer rumours ! - Page 5 Empty Re: Transfer rumours ! Sun Jun 19 2022, 14:16

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I hope you're right BW. The forum regulars will confirm I am usually one of the most optimistic posters on here, but I have my doubts about the manager and his signings.

87Transfer rumours ! - Page 5 Empty Re: Transfer rumours ! Sun Jun 19 2022, 15:09

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:

I think the issue is that we conceded a lot of soft goals but that was predominantly when we were overstretched or the opposition broke quickly.

So how do we stop conceding easily whilst still playing the Evatt style which pushes players forward? For me it's 1. cutting out the daft mistakes and having some no nonsense quality CBs who are prepared to sacrifice the passing ethic and don't ponce about at the back when we're under pressure 2. a rock solid centre mid to prevent route 1 and 3) drilling the buggers to track back and mark properly.
It was frustrating seeing opposition players left unmarked and defenders missing the opportunity to clear and regroup and that has to be sorted at the back, even if we have to modify the system.

The home game against Wigan is a prime example of how not to defend against the break/hoof and all four goals were preventable. Quality CB and DM for me.

88Transfer rumours ! - Page 5 Empty Re: Transfer rumours ! Sun Jun 19 2022, 16:22

BoltonWondering

BoltonWondering
David Ngog
David Ngog

Fair enough Natasha, we all see things differently. I have no doubts with Evatt and his signings.
I think there's an argument to be made that he could be less of a purist and make us a more balanced outfit by recruiting a better blend of physical and technical players. That would make us harder to beat in those games against more direct opposition.

However I think there's also an argument to be made that the trade-off of having more technical players than physical ones gives us a dimension that other teams don't possess and is better in the long-term. There's a really interesting video of Evatt I posted on my twitter where he discusses this. I can't post a link to my twitter as I'm a new member but if you watch this from 36:40 onwards, that's what I'm talking about

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - thankfully our squad is much improved since that stinker of a game. Brockbank, Dixon, Sarcevic, Gordon, Sheehan, Doyle, Thomason were heavily involved there. I take your point though, that we do need to cut out the silly individual errors and a couple more no-nonsense players may give the squad more balance against these teams that try to bully you off second balls. However, as I said above I think there is a good reason behind that philosophy of having less physical and more technical players. Without them I doubt we would have dismantled Sunderland and Wimbledon in the way that we did.

The games that concern me more are Plymouth 0-1 at home, MK Dons 0-2 away, Sheffield Weds 1-1 at home. We didn't play anywhere near our potential in those games, so if we are going all-in on this expansive brand, we need to be more consistent with it and not let the opposition disrupt it as much.

89Transfer rumours ! - Page 5 Empty Re: Transfer rumours ! Sun Jun 19 2022, 16:55

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

BoltonWondering wrote:I can't post a link to my twitter as I'm a new member but if you watch this from 36:40 onwards...

Can you not, I'm surprised about that?

Hello and welcome btw.

There used to be (maybe there still is) a limit on posting personal messages on here, until you'd posted a certain number of times but I didn't think that applied to Tweets as well?

I'm not the best at IT things but I assume you do know how to copy and post tweets by clicking on the three dots at the top right of a tweet, clicking on the 'embed' option, clicking the 'blue' copy code tag then simply pasting it on here.

I've tried it with one of your tweets just to prove to myself that as far as I was aware you should be able to do so.

If you still can't hopefully BTID (Bolton Till I Die) or Karlypants (our IT experts) will sort you out when they see this post.

Good to have you aboard mate!

90Transfer rumours ! - Page 5 Empty Re: Transfer rumours ! Sun Jun 19 2022, 17:02

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:I hope you're right BW. The forum regulars will confirm I am usually one of the most optimistic posters on here, but I have my doubts about the manager and his signings.
Shocked

91Transfer rumours ! - Page 5 Empty Re: Transfer rumours ! Sun Jun 19 2022, 17:05

BoltonWondering

BoltonWondering
David Ngog
David Ngog

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] sorry just now seen your post thanks for the welcome! Hope we have some incomings soon.

Also thanks [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] for the welcome too. Thanks for the tips. I tried both pasting the link and just now tried your embedding method but both present me with this message:

"New members are not allowed to post external links or emails for 7 days. Please contact the forum administrator for more information."

So I think I have to just wait 7 days. No bother  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

92Transfer rumours ! - Page 5 Empty Re: Transfer rumours ! Sun Jun 19 2022, 17:11

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

BoltonWondering wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] sorry just now seen your post thanks for the welcome! Hope we have some incomings soon.

Also thanks [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] for the welcome too. Thanks for the tips. I tried both pasting the link and just now tried your embedding method but both present me with this message:

"New members are not allowed to post external links or emails for 7 days. Please contact the forum administrator for more information."

So I think I have to just wait 7 days. No bother  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Welcome BW. I post a lot of links on here, and Nat will vouch for their important content. You'll learn a lot. :like:

93Transfer rumours ! - Page 5 Empty Re: Transfer rumours ! Sun Jun 19 2022, 17:12

Cajunboy

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

What!

94Transfer rumours ! - Page 5 Empty Re: Transfer rumours ! Sun Jun 19 2022, 17:19

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Cajunboy wrote:What!
You doubt it?!

95Transfer rumours ! - Page 5 Empty Re: Transfer rumours ! Sun Jun 19 2022, 17:26

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

BoltonWondering wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] sorry just now seen your post thanks for the welcome! Hope we have some incomings soon.

:like:

Hope you like it on here with us all!

We are a relatively small site where we've generally got to know each other on here over the years, so I guess you'll not understand all the in jokes.

I've no doubt if you decide to stick around you'll make your own minds up about us all soon enough!

Hope you do find it fun on here and stay, we could do with a few more fresh opinions and views.

96Transfer rumours ! - Page 5 Empty Re: Transfer rumours ! Sun Jun 19 2022, 20:30

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Basically Mr Wonderer. I’m the top dog round here. Most loved. Most hated. Most adored. You’ll find all the ITK FACTIMUNDOS wherever I am.

We’ve lost a fair few of the top posters but it’s still the best bwfc forum around, you’ll love it.

97Transfer rumours ! - Page 5 Empty Re: Transfer rumours ! Sun Jun 19 2022, 22:26

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Welcome BW, several very well thought out and expressed posts so not sure you’ll last long on here with us lot?? 🥴😀

98Transfer rumours ! - Page 5 Empty Re: Transfer rumours ! Sun Jun 19 2022, 22:54

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Would anybody take  point in Sami Ameobi on a free?
Can't be worse than Amaechi turned out to be and could be quite a handful.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

99Transfer rumours ! - Page 5 Empty Re: Transfer rumours ! Sun Jun 19 2022, 23:22

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Biggie wrote:Would anybody take  point in Sami Ameobi on a free?
Can't be worse than Amaechi turned out to be and could be quite a handful.

Always like Sammy's random style and his optimistic shooting from the halfway line but now? I doubt it as he's been injured a lot, will probably expect a living age and I doubt he could play the Evatt way.
If he played for free and bought his own inhalers maybe.

100Transfer rumours ! - Page 5 Empty Re: Transfer rumours ! Sun Jun 19 2022, 23:39

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

BoltonWondering wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - thankfully our squad is much improved since that stinker of a game. Brockbank, Dixon, Sarcevic, Gordon, Sheehan, Doyle, Thomason were heavily involved there. I take your point though, that we do need to cut out the silly individual errors and a couple more no-nonsense players may give the squad more balance against these teams that try to bully you off second balls. However, as I said above I think there is a good reason behind that philosophy of having less physical and more technical players. Without them I doubt we would have dismantled Sunderland and Wimbledon in the way that we did.
I like the expansive forward play and TBH if we had better quality we could be like City and dismantle teams far more regularly but we don't quite have the quality to be clinical enough in the final third - yet - so we end up with a lot of backwards and sideways recycling in the opposition half with a packed defence in front of us.
But...
I really don't think that we need to sacrifice technical players or the overall approach to sort out the defence though - it's not an either/or situation.

By all means play that way going forward but when our goal is under threat don't be messing around - track back, mark up, tackle well and if necessary hoof it into row z because we can always reset once the danger has passed.
And if we going to play it out from the back we need quality anyway.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 32]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18 ... 32  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum