Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wycombe 1-0 Bolton

+5
finlaymcdanger
Cajunboy
wessy
karlypants
Norpig
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

21Wycombe 1-0 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Wycombe 1-0 Bolton Tue Feb 21 2023, 18:59

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Things have really happened quickly on this and I wonder what effect it will have on Wycombe? The majority of their fans though sad to see GA and his assistant leave seem happy at least with his replacement Matt Brookfield who only left the club recently to manage Colchester. I have to say thought that Ainsworth will be a huge act to follow and if the team don’t win their next few games it could all implode very quickly. Should be good for us though I think as the team was very much formed around Ainsworth himself and I doubt his successor will have the same effect?

22Wycombe 1-0 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Wycombe 1-0 Bolton Tue Feb 21 2023, 19:29

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Whitesince63 wrote:Things have really happened quickly on this and I wonder what effect it will have on Wycombe? The majority of their fans though sad to see GA and his assistant leave seem happy at least with his replacement Matt Brookfield who only left the club recently to manage Colchester. I have to say thought that Ainsworth will be a huge act to follow and if the team don’t win their next few games it could all implode very quickly. Should be good for us though I think as the team was very much formed around Ainsworth himself and I doubt his successor will have the same effect?

Think you might be being a bit over optimistic here 63.

I don't know nothing of Brookfield but it seems he was a player under Ainsworth at Wycombe from 2012 until he retired in 2022, only to become Ainsworth assistant.

I suggest he's well versed in Wycombe's style of play and deeply believes the philosophy himself (or he would have left long ago). I therefore would be very surprised if he changed the way they play and expect business as usual for Wycombe.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Fwiw I believe we probably should have got a result against Wycombe if Evatt had played his strongest side - which of course he didn't - so I still believe (injury's and suspensions permitting) that we are still very much on course for a play off position (and fwiw, which I said we would be at the start of the season!).

23Wycombe 1-0 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Wycombe 1-0 Bolton Wed Feb 22 2023, 08:35

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Sluffy wrote:

A hypothetical question, but if you are the manager and are just ONE game away from Wembley and being realistic the club ISN'T going to go up automatically this season and PROBABLY will finish in a play-off place, would you not only have that thought in the back of your mind but also try tinkering with the team that plays just a few days before that semi, in order to get a result in BOTH games - but in particular the Semi one against Accrington?

I would.

If I was indifferent about the semi and prioritised the league then there is no question I would play my best team against Wycombe and the 'B' team against Accrington and allow the first team a weeks rest before the next league game next Saturday (because we are in the middle of a long run of playing games each Saturday and Tuesday)

My strongest team would then have been, brining back Bradley, Jones to the right of the back three, Toal over to the left, Mbete to the bench, keep John as left wing back.  I would also play Lee at number 10, and have Shoretire up front with Charles and drop Adeboyejo to the bench.

To my mind the fact that he played Jones at left wing back suggests to me that he thinks Bradley has no problem playing both games but he wanted to give John a break (he's only just come back in the team and would have played 4 games in two weeks if he hadn't been 'rested' yesterday - and Evatt doesn't rate the new boy Williams to be good enough at LWB - hence the mystery of playing Jones there and keeping Mbete in the team.

Lee seems not to be able to play all the games now, so he was being rested for the semi - and if you've just blown all the transfer budget on a forward then I guess you feel the need to play him if Lee is being rested (Lee plays, Shoretire partners Charles, Lee doesn't Adeboyejo starts).

That's my thinking as to why Evatt chose the starting line up he did yesterday - he had his eyes on both games and if anything prioritised the semi - on the basis we will get in the playoffs anyway but a Wembley final doesn't come around much for the likes of us - and probably will end up the highlight of our season if we do get there - and I expect (injury's from yesterdays game permitting) we will.

PS 63, I've been reading the thread on ww today, you don't half get a lot of stick and it didn't surprise me in the least that your bff was nowhere to be seen giving you much if any support at all.

One day you will learn...
Sorry Sluffy for some reason I didn’t read this post until today but yes I always get stick on WW. All I have to do is make a post, any post on any thread and the usual bunch jump all over me, name calling, swearing and generally abusing me. That’s ok because I can take owt from nowt and that’s what most of them are. Of course I don’t blame Lusty for not sticking up for me and staying quiet because if he does respond and in any way agrees the plebs think we’re the same poster!! Beat that, but in all honesty I just love winding them up. I’ve been banned a couple of times as you know and probably will be again eventually but that’s what makes it so different on here, at least you can have an intelligent discussion with people of different perspectives without resorting to abuse, except Nat of course?? 🤗

24Wycombe 1-0 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Wycombe 1-0 Bolton Wed Feb 22 2023, 08:41

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Sluffy wrote:

Think you might be being a bit over optimistic here 63.

I don't know nothing of Brookfield but it seems he was a player under Ainsworth at Wycombe from 2012 until he retired in 2022, only to become Ainsworth assistant.

I suggest he's well versed in Wycombe's style of play and deeply believes the philosophy himself (or he would have left long ago).  I therefore would be very surprised if he changed the way they play and expect business as usual for Wycombe.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Fwiw I believe we probably should have got a result against Wycombe if Evatt had played his strongest side - which of course he didn't - so I still believe (injury's and suspensions permitting) that we are still very much on course for a play off position (and fwiw, which I said we would be at the start of the season!).

I pretty much agree with that Sluffy, Brookfield was there for about 14 years I believe, so before GA arrived there and I’m sure he bought into the system, although the fans at Cheltenham thought he didn’t and made some good signings in the January window to move the club up the table. You just never know, he might come in and take them up another step, stranger things have happened. I agree on Wycombe, we should have got something but I would have kept the team, especially the defence the same and let them worry about us but obviously Evatt knows what he thinks will be best. I think tonight the team pretty much picks itself but it’ll be an interesting bench with few first teamers available for it?? 🥴

25Wycombe 1-0 Bolton - Page 2 Empty Re: Wycombe 1-0 Bolton Wed Feb 22 2023, 18:34

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Whitesince63 wrote:Sorry Sluffy for some reason I didn’t read this post until today but yes I always get stick on WW. All I have to do is make a post, any post on any thread and the usual bunch jump all over me, name calling, swearing and generally abusing me. That’s ok because I can take owt from nowt and that’s what most of them are. Of course I don’t blame Lusty for not sticking up for me and staying quiet because if he does respond and in any way agrees the plebs think we’re the same poster!! Beat that, but in all honesty I just love winding them up. I’ve been banned a couple of times as you know and probably will be again eventually but that’s what makes it so different on here, at least you can have an intelligent discussion with people of different perspectives without resorting to abuse, except Nat of course?? 🤗

Thanks for the reply 63.

If you haven't figured him out by now that's down to you but your BFF isn't standing up for you because he thinks that others on there feel that you are one and the same person if he did...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum