Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton reaching out to former players on matchday

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bolton reaching out to former players on matchday 17329963

Wanderers have pledged to open their doors to more former players to be a part of matchdays in the future.

A new formal partnership was agreed in the summer with the BWFC Former Players Association, designed to help with fundraising and social projects and establish a better working relationship.

Whites legend John McGinlay is now the association’s president, and he has been active in bringing several former players to visit already this season, some of whom have also featured on Wanderers TV commentary.

CEO Neil Hart says he had been surprised that links with ex-Bolton stars had been allowed to lapse and he hoped that by working more closely with the Association, that more familiar faces could be brought back into the fold soon.

“I think the club lost their way somewhere down the line,” he told The Bolton News. “I don’t know why, or when, but it is something I really think needed to be addressed.

“I was shocked the other week when John brought MIxu Paatenlainen over to meet me and he’d said it was the first time in 30 years that he’d been back to Bolton. I couldn’t believe that would be the case.

“Nicky Hunt was here last weekend, we’ve spoken to people like Kevin Davies, Stelios, Gudni Bergsson, all people who are synonymous with the club’s history who we should really be embracing, not making them feel that they can’t come back, or that they are not wanted.

“Yes, we focus on the here and now, yes this is a modern Bolton Wanderers, but you have to embrace the history and the people who got you here.”

Although some former players living further afield like Per Frandsen, Henrik Pedersen or Gudni Bergsson, do make a regular pilgrimage back to the club whenever possible, the departure of some established staff members have made it more difficult for ex-players to keep in touch with the club or plan to visit.

The Association has a busy Facebook group, which also contains a contact number and email address, and Hart hopes there will be opportunities to see plenty more past heroes in the coming months.

He said: “John (McGinlay) and I have talked a lot over the last year or so and we met with Albert Lord, who is the association secretary, and we basically agreed a partnership where they run as a self-entity and have their committee meetings, which had been off-site, now they can have them here at the home of Bolton Wanderers.

“Our message is that we really want to embrace and engage with former players, we want them visible on a matchday – in the Fanzone, in hospitality, wherever it may be.

“The supporters want to see their heroes supporting the club. And as a board our door is open, we have no issues or past histories, we genuinely want to welcome people back and celebrate what they have done for the club.”

Source

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'd have more faith in an overweight 59 year old McGinlay scoring more goals than the majority of our strikers.

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Older players? That's years ago. Who is interested in owt what happened years ago?

There's nowt you can do about it, is there?

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Now we know why Sluffy really ran away. So he didn't have to deal with you. ..dunno..

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

karlypants wrote:Now we know why Sluffy really ran away. So he didn't have to deal with you. ..dunno..
Parody, its the only language they understand, Sir.

You see, they don't like it up 'em. They do not like it up 'em.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:
Parody, its the only language they understand, Sir.

You see, they don't like it up 'em. They do not like it up 'em.

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:

Ooh you are awful, but I like you.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Blimey, Nat gets about.

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:Blimey, Nat gets about.
The many faces of Gnatasha.

Here's Gnatasha as a little puppy.

https://www.beano.com/posts/gnipper-no-1

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum