Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Freedman's not so confidant.

+2
Hipster_Nebula
scottjames30
6 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Freedman's not so confidant. Empty Freedman's not so confidant. Mon Jul 29 2013, 11:49

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He's saying things like 'Our squad as it is now , is not good enough for a promotion push'.

Our squad 'was stronger the end of last season.

Rumour has it he's had words with the board , and he's not happy. 'Clearly he's asking for a couple more players'. (BWFC money men blocking players coming in) after Freedman has convinced them to sign.

Now Holden is injured 'Long term'.

Dawson's not coming. we play Burnley on Saturday, things aren't looking so good.

Do you think this lack of confidence will come down to the players on Saturday at Turf Moor ?

2Freedman's not so confidant. Empty Re: Freedman's not so confidant. Mon Jul 29 2013, 11:51

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Dawson was never coming.

I wish people would stop pointing to that as some kind of failure.

I should have known though people had the same reaction when we didn't sign Sturridge and Wilshere who we could "easily hve gut"

3Freedman's not so confidant. Empty Re: Freedman's not so confidant. Mon Jul 29 2013, 11:53

Where has he said this, 'Our squad as it is now, is not good enough for a promotion push'.

4Freedman's not so confidant. Empty Re: Freedman's not so confidant. Mon Jul 29 2013, 11:54

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:Where has he said this, 'Our squad as it is now, is not good enough for a promotion push'.

He said it the other day.

5Freedman's not so confidant. Empty Re: Freedman's not so confidant. Mon Jul 29 2013, 11:54

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i don't generally worry too much about pre-season results, its Saturday that counts. I am worried about our lack of money though, surely there must be a few quid to spend on one or two more players? Our outlay so far has been next to nothing.
The defence still worries me as well, we always seem to concede and we could do with another centre half unless we can play Baptiste there with Wheater?

6Freedman's not so confidant. Empty Re: Freedman's not so confidant. Mon Jul 29 2013, 11:55

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Was Baptiste Blackpool's captain last season ?

7Freedman's not so confidant. Empty Re: Freedman's not so confidant. Mon Jul 29 2013, 11:57

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

scottjames30 wrote:Was Baptiste Blackpool's captain last season ?

He was and i'm pretty sure he played centre half most of the time as well

8Freedman's not so confidant. Empty Re: Freedman's not so confidant. Mon Jul 29 2013, 11:57

scottjames30 wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:Where has he said this, 'Our squad as it is now, is not good enough for a promotion push'.

He said it the other day.

Where? Could you put a link up please.

9Freedman's not so confidant. Empty Re: Freedman's not so confidant. Mon Jul 29 2013, 11:58

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

As for these comments, a lot of them have been said by Nixon not directly from Dougies mouth.

Last edited by aaron_bwfc on Mon Jul 29 2013, 11:58; edited 1 time in total

10Freedman's not so confidant. Empty Re: Freedman's not so confidant. Mon Jul 29 2013, 11:58

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Yes he was - when are we going to get the couple of loanees?

11Freedman's not so confidant. Empty Re: Freedman's not so confidant. Mon Jul 29 2013, 12:00

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Has Freedman stopped doing post match interviews ?

12Freedman's not so confidant. Empty Re: Freedman's not so confidant. Mon Jul 29 2013, 12:01

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I haven't seen any such comment, but if it was something he actually did come out with I'd be very surprised.
Regardless of how poor our squad is, the manager would not go out of his way to undermine what little confidence they have.

13Freedman's not so confidant. Empty Re: Freedman's not so confidant. Mon Jul 29 2013, 12:02

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Also Baps could play CB with Wheater.

14Freedman's not so confidant. Empty Re: Freedman's not so confidant. Mon Jul 29 2013, 12:06

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

What has appeared in the BN is this:
Dougie Freedman prepares to wheel and deal to boost his Bolton Wanderers squad

8:00am Monday 29th July 2013 in Latest By Marc Iles

DOUGIE Freedman will not be risking Wanderers’ financial future – but reckons he will get cash backing if he identifies the right signings before the close of the transfer window.

Wanderers almost certainly have to sell before they can invest in new players as they teeter on the edge of the Financial Fair Play regulations.

But a handful of players are being feted elsewhere. Wolves maintain an interest in striker Craig Davies, while Keith Andrews and Matt Mills also look likely to leave the club with Blackpool waiting in the wings.

If a few of the bigger earners are moved on, then Freedman has his eyes on a handful of players he believes can help in a promotion push this term, including former loanee Jay Spearing.

The Scot has been up front with his fringe players and told those who do not feature in his plans that they can seek football elsewhere.

And while he agrees that the squad he leads into the current campaign is slightly less well off than the one that ended last season, he refuses to panic buy and potentially risk the future of the football club as a result.

“When any team loses Craig Dawson and Jay Spearing, and to be fair Marcos Alonso going to Serie A, then anyone in this division is going to be slightly weakened,” he said ahead of Saturday’s opener against Burnley at Turf Moor.

“I think we have made a couple of decent signings. And it’s good business too, it’s not just throwing away money. We’re at an even keel with the signings and I think there is room for more. “I think we can improve and we’re trying our very best to do that.

“In general, football clubs are watching this Financial Fair Play and some of them are able to take advantage of that – for example Wigan Athletic or Nottingham Forest. Some clubs may be able to spend, and I understand that.

“But I can only guide my own ship and that is to make sure this is a healthy and well-run club that plays within their financial means. I have got a responsibility to do that.”

Freedman feels his squad was not strong enough when it came to the crunch last season. Injuries to Mark Davies and David Ngog combined with a lack of depth on the bench gave the manager few options as he closed in on a play-off position.

“Because of the workload that is put on them any Championship side with aspirations to get out of this division has got to have a strong bench, with players who can come on and do a job,” he said.

“If you are asking me to pick a team when everyone is fit I think I could compare with anyone in this division. But that’s where we came up short last year.

“I’m not one for making excuses but I felt there were games last year when we left ourselves a bit short. We did not have a balanced squad.

“We need to go and recruit one or two more, we know that. I’m looking at it.”

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum