Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The rise and rise of UKIP...

+19
Boggersbelief
Sluffy
luckyPeterpiper
mark leach
White84
wanderlust
Norpig
Soul Kitchen
karlypants
bwfc71
Hipster_Nebula
okocha
rammywhite
xmiles
Natasha Whittam
scottjames30
wessy
boltonbonce
Reebok Trotter
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 20]

41The rise and rise of UKIP... - Page 3 Empty Re: The rise and rise of UKIP... Mon Nov 24 2014, 12:17

The Green Party are fundamentally opposed to nuclear power because in their words it's dangerous because it carries "unacceptable risks".

If a political party is going to have an assumption as basically naive and flawed as this as one of its basic tenets, it's not getting my vote.

People (quite rightly) criticise UKIP for being vacuous and trying to win votes by playing the fear card, but the same must surely apply to the Greens, if they're going to go round scaremongering about the possibility of another Three Mile Island or Chernobyl happening?

It's nonsense.

42The rise and rise of UKIP... - Page 3 Empty Re: The rise and rise of UKIP... Mon Nov 24 2014, 12:34

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:The Green Party are fundamentally opposed to nuclear power because in their words it's dangerous because it carries "unacceptable risks".

If a political party is going to have an assumption as basically naive and flawed as this as one of its basic tenets, it's not getting my vote.

People (quite rightly) criticise UKIP for being vacuous and trying to win votes by playing the fear card, but the same must surely apply to the Greens, if they're going to go round scaremongering about the possibility of another Three Mile Island or Chernobyl happening?

It's nonsense.

This is the process that everyone goes through to arrive at their personal simplified perception.

Some people would interpret "scaremongering" about the dangers and lifetime costs of nuclear as raising awareness of the need for equal investment into alternatives a priority issue, whereas others would apply the hippie tag in order to dismiss anything the Greens say. Prejudices exist as a defence mechanism. If we can dismiss someone on the basis of our prejudice against them, we don't have to listen to or consider the potentially uncomfortable things they have to say.
I'm with Bread on this one. I don't need to listen to this beardy weirdie shit because they are the Greens.

43The rise and rise of UKIP... - Page 3 Empty Re: The rise and rise of UKIP... Mon Nov 24 2014, 12:34

I'm far from an expert on Nuclear power, so I'm genuinely interested in why you think the risks are nonsense Bread?

44The rise and rise of UKIP... - Page 3 Empty Re: The rise and rise of UKIP... Mon Nov 24 2014, 12:45

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm not a fan of Nuclear power either and feel it's not the right way to go to generate fuel.

The risks outweigh the reward in my opinion, it only takes one fuck up to wipe out everyone.

Don't forget that we have had a few leaks in the UK in the past!

Last edited by karlypants on Mon Nov 24 2014, 12:46; edited 1 time in total

45The rise and rise of UKIP... - Page 3 Empty Re: The rise and rise of UKIP... Mon Nov 24 2014, 12:45

I'm obviously no expert either, but the consensus amongst people who actually know what they're on about is that nuclear power stations today are a safe and "clean" alternative to fossil fuels.

And they're a damn sight more efficient than wind and wave power.

That might just be me over simplifying the debate, but if the beardie weirdies can do it, why can't I?

46The rise and rise of UKIP... - Page 3 Empty Re: The rise and rise of UKIP... Mon Nov 24 2014, 12:46

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

They will become terrorist targets too...

47The rise and rise of UKIP... - Page 3 Empty Re: The rise and rise of UKIP... Mon Nov 24 2014, 12:56

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Norpig wrote:UKIP's fill policies? They don't ahve any policies at all, they can't even agree on the one thing that brought them into being in the first place. all the backtracking by Reckless and Farage last week before the election about repatriating foreigners and yet they still got elected :facepalm:

That's exactly my point, repatriation had been mentioned then Forage denied it! As I said folk look no further than their noses at UKIP, and people scratch their heads at radicalisation of young Muslims!?!
One common denominator-gullible.

48The rise and rise of UKIP... - Page 3 Empty Re: The rise and rise of UKIP... Mon Nov 24 2014, 12:58

This cracked me up - 

49The rise and rise of UKIP... - Page 3 Empty Re: The rise and rise of UKIP... Mon Nov 24 2014, 13:00

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

karlypants wrote:They will become terrorist targets too...
Could you explain how please?

50The rise and rise of UKIP... - Page 3 Empty Re: The rise and rise of UKIP... Mon Nov 24 2014, 13:06

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Soul Kitchen wrote:
karlypants wrote:They could become terrorist targets too...
Could you explain how please?
I've corrected my mistake.

I know that security would be tightened at power stations but possibly from people working on the inside with a deliberate act to fuck it all up by some secret convert perhaps?

51The rise and rise of UKIP... - Page 3 Empty Re: The rise and rise of UKIP... Mon Nov 24 2014, 13:13

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i do think they will make a dent when it comes to the general election as immigration is at the forefront of a lot of peoples minds.
 I for one have no issue with anyone coming to this country as long as they have a job and pay their taxes. They come to do all the jobs bone idle snobby Brits look down on as well.

Last edited by Norpig on Mon Nov 24 2014, 15:10; edited 1 time in total

52The rise and rise of UKIP... - Page 3 Empty Re: The rise and rise of UKIP... Mon Nov 24 2014, 13:26

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I went round Sellafield in the 90s and there were massive cracks down the side of the Magnox reactor. Visitors were banned from photographing anything - despite them having a "visitor centre" and attempting PR. No wonder - it looked like it was falling down.

A week later I read that Nirex had turned back a truck of used rods because the railway track was broken and the carriage had reached the maximum time it could be left exposed - around the time that me, the kids and a bunch of Swedish tourists were driving past in the tour coach.

Nuclear safe my arse. They were absolutely winging it from the Elf & Safety perspective and anti-terrorist security was a joke. It's just a big f***** bomb waiting to go off in the Lake District. Worst of all, the supposed safety monitors - the "experts" - are complicit and clearly flaunt the rules for pragmatic reasons.

Wouldn't worry though. The worst of the radioactive fallout shouldn't get much further than Preston if the wind's in the right direction.

53The rise and rise of UKIP... - Page 3 Empty Re: The rise and rise of UKIP... Mon Nov 24 2014, 13:26

Found this pretty interesting so did a bit of research, the Green's policy mirrors that of Scandinavia and (as always) they're doing it successfully.

Denmark stopped production of nuclear power plants in 1985 in favour of renewable energy, having previously been on the forefront. It still makes up 10% of their production, but by 2050 they aim to be 100% renewable. 

Contrary to George Osborne's claims that growth can't be achieved whilst reducing emissions, Denmark's economy between 1990 and 2007 achieved 47% growth whilst CO2 emissions were reduced by 13%.

Obviously this is top line stuff and there's a lot to consider, but if they're doing it successfull why can't we?

54The rise and rise of UKIP... - Page 3 Empty Re: The rise and rise of UKIP... Mon Nov 24 2014, 13:37

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

wanderlust wrote:I went round Sellafield in the 90s and there were massive cracks down the side of the Magnox reactor. Visitors were banned from photographing anything - despite them having a "visitor centre" and attempting PR. No wonder - it looked like it was falling down.

A week later I read that Nirex had turned back a truck of used rods because the railway track was broken and the carriage had reached the maximum time it could be left exposed - around the time that  me, the kids and a bunch of Swedish tourists were driving past in the tour coach.

Nuclear safe my arse. They were absolutely winging it from the Elf & Safety perspective and anti-terrorist security was a joke. It's just a big f***** bomb waiting to go off in the Lake District. Worst of all, the supposed safety monitors - the "experts" - are complicit and clearly flaunt the rules for pragmatic reasons.

Wouldn't worry though. The worst of the radioactive fallout shouldn't get much further than Preston if the wind's in the right direction.
Isn't there a nuclear plant at Preston?

55The rise and rise of UKIP... - Page 3 Empty Re: The rise and rise of UKIP... Mon Nov 24 2014, 13:38

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

One issue,and one issue alone,needs to be addressed by politicians,not only in this country,but worldwide,and that issue is Population.
Get to grips with this,and you're well on your way to finding the solution to numerous other problems.
We simply can't sustain our present rate of growth. Too many people,too little space,and it's a fast track to disaster.

56The rise and rise of UKIP... - Page 3 Empty Re: The rise and rise of UKIP... Mon Nov 24 2014, 13:41

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Isis could sort the population problem out if left to their own devices!!!

57The rise and rise of UKIP... - Page 3 Empty Re: The rise and rise of UKIP... Mon Nov 24 2014, 13:41

Agreed, but short of relocating some countries to the moon (I vote America and Australia) I think we're struggling for a solution!

58The rise and rise of UKIP... - Page 3 Empty Re: The rise and rise of UKIP... Mon Nov 24 2014, 13:42

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Soul Kitchen wrote:
wanderlust wrote:I went round Sellafield in the 90s and there were massive cracks down the side of the Magnox reactor. Visitors were banned from photographing anything - despite them having a "visitor centre" and attempting PR. No wonder - it looked like it was falling down.

A week later I read that Nirex had turned back a truck of used rods because the railway track was broken and the carriage had reached the maximum time it could be left exposed - around the time that  me, the kids and a bunch of Swedish tourists were driving past in the tour coach.

Isn't there a nuclear plant at Preston?
I think the closest Nuclear power plant is Heysham.

59The rise and rise of UKIP... - Page 3 Empty Re: The rise and rise of UKIP... Mon Nov 24 2014, 13:47

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm thinking of sending Brucie over there to do a Sammy Davis Jnr tribute show.
Isis would surrender in droves.  cheers

60The rise and rise of UKIP... - Page 3 Empty Re: The rise and rise of UKIP... Mon Nov 24 2014, 13:49

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:I'm not a fan of Nuclear power either and feel it's not the right way to go to generate fuel.

It's either nuclear power or revert to the dark ages I'm afraid.

Wind power simply isn't viable to power a whole world. Although if someone finds a way of turning the wind that comes out of Wanderlust's mouth into energy we may have a future.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 20]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum