Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Can I say this about Lennon?

3 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Can I say this about Lennon? Empty Can I say this about Lennon? Sun Feb 22 2015, 23:25

Bolton Nuts

Admin

He chucked the Liverpool game away!

There - I finally said it! I thought it at the time but didn't want to say anything cos Lennon was still flavour of the month but come on - we had them and we chucked it away!

1-0 with about 10 mins left, loads of fresh legs on the bench.
Every time Eidur touched the ball in the last 25 mins he lost it or practically fell over. He was well out of steam. Mills was the same. And we had lost a man in midfield yet we kept Mills up front. 

We started running to the corner flag with 10 minutes to go when we had chances to get forward - so it was clear that the mentality was to hold on to what we had - so if that was the case why not drop Mills back into defence if he really must stay on the pitch.

We could have brought two more subs on with fast legs to exploit their high line defence while they pressed looking for a goal. But no - we kept it the same.

Our players were run ragged and once they made it 1-1 there was only ever one winner if it got to extra time, there was no way we could last another 30 mins - it would have ended 7-1.
So why at 1-1 did we still not make a change? It was clear Liverpool thought they could nick it and so continued to pile forward. We should have reacted by either going more defensive or more attacking - instead we did nothing and lost!

Can somebody tell me why we didn't make the changes required? I am happy to be corrected.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

2Can I say this about Lennon? Empty Re: Can I say this about Lennon? Mon Feb 23 2015, 09:41

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Whether he believed the players on the park could see the game out or he was just showing confidence in them, there is no way of knowing what might have happened if he had done things differently so I think it's harsh to suggest "he threw it away".

A top premiership side against a struggling championship team? Face facts - they always had the talent to win it. We just ran out of time.

3Can I say this about Lennon? Empty Re: Can I say this about Lennon? Mon Feb 23 2015, 09:43

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Neil Lennon is still learning as a manager and hindsight is a wonderful thing. Fwiw I agree with you and hopefully he'll learn from his experiences, something which dougie never did while managing our club.
Glad you got that off your chest after all this time. You sound like you were ready to explode bottling it up. Hope your nuts counselling session helps you to move on from this Very Happy

4Can I say this about Lennon? Empty Re: Can I say this about Lennon? Mon Feb 23 2015, 12:10

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bwfc1958 wrote:Neil Lennon is still learning as a manager and hindsight is a wonderful thing. Fwiw I agree with you and hopefully he'll learn from his experiences, something which dougie never did while managing our club.
Glad you got that off your chest after all this time. You sound like you were ready to explode bottling it up. Hope your nuts counselling session helps you to move on from this Very Happy

No it was just a considered opinion as usual 58. FWIW I thought Dougie just ran out of ideas towards the end as he'd pretty much tried everything within the constraints of the squad. The last few games under his tenure were particularly difficult as he stuck with a losing system and selection - I guess in the hope that they would finally come good. Not tinkering was his last tactic.
We'll see what other ideas Lennon has up his sleeve but as mentioned elsewhere I still don't think the squad is quite right so I suspect he continue reshuffling the polished turds in the hope of finding the right combo. Maybe he'll learn something that will help us improve. I sure hope so.

5Can I say this about Lennon? Empty Re: Can I say this about Lennon? Tue Feb 24 2015, 10:44

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Just so we're clear lusty, my post was aimed at biggie there. You don't seem the type to bottle up and release at a later date, nor do you seem the type to be overly pissed off about stuff really, just considered opinions as you say. Smile

6Can I say this about Lennon? Empty Re: Can I say this about Lennon? Tue Feb 24 2015, 10:57

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Yeah, i thought it was aimed at me...
I know you said hindsight is a wonderful thing... But wasn't everyone in the ground thinking it at the time that Eidur and Mills were no longer in the game? I cant see any reasonable reason why things were not changed.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum