Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"Coolest monkey in the jungle!"

+10
Norpig
Keegan
Angry Dad
gloswhite
Sluffy
Boggersbelief
Reebok Trotter
karlypants
Natasha Whittam
Leeds_Trotter
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

21"Coolest monkey in the jungle!" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Wed Jan 10 2018, 22:05

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I very nearly posted something of the same ilk yesterday about Political Correctness simply going way to far.

It is and always as been the intent of what was said that matters and not always the words you use.

I've even posted on Nuts before how I never use the word 'monkey' in speech any more - such as you 'cheeky monkey' for fear of some PC idiot thinking I was being racist.

In fact I've noticed that I've modified my behaviour over recent years just to keep clear of any 'issues'.  For instance if I ever find myself as the only adult around young women or school kids - say on the underground or in a queue at a shop, I'll sit a distance away from them or stand in the open where I can be clearly seen, well away from them.  

I know things change over time - I'm old enough to remember when saying that someone was 'gay' meant that they were happy and wasn't a homosexual reference - and it's right that there should be gender and ethnicitical equality but it clearly is going too far when people read into things that simply are not there.

If a white child was pictured with the same slogan would there have been an outcry - I think not - other than perhaps those saying black children are being unrepresented on advertising campaigns such as this one!

I've found that the deeper Political Correctness has become established the less I say or do in general day-to-day life, for fear of being labelled a racist/sexist/homophobic or whatever, when I'm actually none of those.

It's right and proper that the next generation sets its norms of acceptability and change for the better those issues of my generation that have become outdated and no longer acceptable - but it doesn't follow that all of us who grew up with those old norms are themselves racist/sexist/etc.

If thirty or forty years ago I was having a pint with the father of the child in the H and M picture and he took the piss out of me and I replied to him 'you cheeky monkey' I certainly would never have intended it to be a racist remark - and more to the point nor would he.

We both would think very differently these days however - and that isn't necessarily a good thing when the words have become more powerful than the meaning they were intended to carry.

To be honest though whoever thought up the Advert with a black child and a tag line with the word 'monkey' in it (and those who vetted and approved it) are either remarkably stupid - or knew exactly what they were doing and have got everybody talking about H and M - with probably loads of people like me defending them because no racism was ever intended.

There's no such thing as bad press - or so they say.

Last edited by Sluffy on Wed Jan 10 2018, 22:08; edited 1 time in total

22"Coolest monkey in the jungle!" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Wed Jan 10 2018, 22:07

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

A few years ago we went to play Brentford and we were having a pint outside one of the three pubs left on the four corners. One of the Wanderers faithful put a plastic pint pot on the roof of a Ford Fiesta parked outside the front of the pub. An upstairs window opened and this Southern Jessie popped his head out and shouted ' Oi, you Norvern monkeys, get your facking glass off the roof of my car.'  
We thought it was hilarious. We didn't complain to the race relations board and none of us were hurt by his derogatory remark. Nobody was traumatised enough to go to A & E.  Faux offence is the worst because it's insidious.

23"Coolest monkey in the jungle!" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Wed Jan 10 2018, 22:10

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

T.R.O.Y wrote:It’s a beyond stupid move from H&M, I’m sure heads will roll for it. 

The fact of the matter is you’re a white guy from leeds, so tell me what on earth qualifies to judge what should and should not offend black people?

I’m offended that he’s not offended and you don’t seem to be offended. In fact I’ve offended myself! 
Who can be up in arms, we call our kids cheeky monkeys, it’s endearing not offensive.

24"Coolest monkey in the jungle!" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Wed Jan 10 2018, 22:10

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I don't think it was meant in a racial manner, it would be far too obvious and offensive for that. However, I do think whoever OK'd this was way off the mark, considering the current world, where everyone is upset by everything. 
I don't think its racist, but I can see how the genteel, and real racists, can see an insult in it.

25"Coolest monkey in the jungle!" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Wed Jan 10 2018, 22:15

Leeds_Trotter

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

T.R.O.Y wrote:
Leeds_Trotter wrote:Is the advert used in a derogatory way towards any race[size=30]? Does the advert incite hate towards any race? The answer to both those questions is no it doesn't. People should stop being snowflakes, no way does this advert discriminate against any race. It's all been blown out of proportion by the far left. Even I as a Labour voter think it's a complete joke to be offended by this. There was no malicious intent from the company. If it is racist like people claim, then why did the parents not say this before allowing the photo to be used? This country is begging to have too many soft arses who get upset over nothing. God help us if the country ever went to war and conscription was brought back. We'd be doomed with an army full of soft arses.[/size]

I think it was more likely sheer stupidity than racism from H&M, but guess what black people find the word monkey offensive and are sensitive to it's use - maybe something to do with centuries of persecution. So if that's a fucking surprise to you then please don't go anywhere near the army either, we don't need anymore idiots running around with guns.

So answer my question, what qualifies you to decide what black people find offensive?
Intelligence that's what. To know the difference between when something is said or done in a derogatory way towards someone of a different ethnicity or when something is not. Now if the t-shirt said little black monkey on it, then yeah sure to me that would be offensive and people would have a right to be up in arms about the whole thing. It's all about how things are said or done in context. 

I say the same thing for all the feminist who complained about t-shirts for little girls saying stuff like pretty on them when the boys ones say king or whatever. It's pathetic and there is really no need for them to get their knickers in a twist over it.

26"Coolest monkey in the jungle!" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Wed Jan 10 2018, 22:17

You’re so intelligent you can’t empathise with a group of people who have been persecuted for centuries based on their skin colour being sensitive to a word that to this day is still used a racial slur towards them. Maybe they interpret its use in a different way to you. 

Make sense at all?

27"Coolest monkey in the jungle!" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Wed Jan 10 2018, 22:17

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

T.R.O.Y wrote:
Leeds_Trotter wrote:Is the advert used in a derogatory way towards any race[size=30]? Does the advert incite hate towards any race? The answer to both those questions is no it doesn't. People should stop being snowflakes, no way does this advert discriminate against any race. It's all been blown out of proportion by the far left. Even I as a Labour voter think it's a complete joke to be offended by this. There was no malicious intent from the company. If it is racist like people claim, then why did the parents not say this before allowing the photo to be used? This country is begging to have too many soft arses who get upset over nothing. God help us if the country ever went to war and conscription was brought back. We'd be doomed with an army full of soft arses.[/size]

I think it was more likely sheer stupidity than racism from H&M, but guess what black people find the word monkey offensive and are sensitive to it's use - maybe something to do with centuries of persecution. So if that's a fucking surprise to you then please don't go anywhere near the army either, we don't need anymore idiots running around with guns.

So answer my question, what qualifies you to decide what black people find offensive?

How do you know this? Are you a spokesman for black people? It's alright shooting from the hip and claiming the moral high ground but what qualifies you to question the opinion of another poster just because he lives in Leeds? I'll pose the same question to you TROY. What qualifies YOU to decide what black people find offensive? The ball is in your court.

28"Coolest monkey in the jungle!" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Wed Jan 10 2018, 22:24

Leeds_Trotter

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

T.R.O.Y wrote:You’re so intelligent you can’t empathise with a group of people who have been persecuted for centuries based on their skin colour being sensitive to a word that to this day is still used a racial slur towards them. Maybe they interpret its use in a different way to you. 

Make sense at all?
I'd empathise if the term monkey was been used in a derogatory way towards them in an advert of course I would, but in this instance it isn't. There are plenty of black people out there who think the whole think is ridiculous and some people are being pathetic over it all.

29"Coolest monkey in the jungle!" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Wed Jan 10 2018, 22:27

Reebok Trotter wrote:
T.R.O.Y wrote:

How do you know this? Are you a spokesman for black people? It's alright shooting from the hip and claiming the moral high ground but what qualifies you to question the opinion of another poster just because he lives in Leeds? I'll pose the same question to you TROY. What qualifies YOU to decide what black people find offensive? The ball is in your court.

Thanks for putting the ball in my court. I know it’s caused offence because it’s in the press for that exact reason. 

I don’t find it offensive, but as far as I’m concerned it’s not up to white people to decide what black people find offensive.

30"Coolest monkey in the jungle!" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Wed Jan 10 2018, 22:30

Leeds_Trotter

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

T.R.O.Y wrote:
Reebok Trotter wrote:
T.R.O.Y wrote:

Thanks for putting the ball in my court. I know it’s caused offence because it’s in the press for that exact reason. 

I don’t find it offensive, but as far as I’m concerned it’s not up to white people to decide what black people find offensive.
Can you imagine a world where we are all that pathetic? People should starting using their brain and work out when people are and are not being offensive.

31"Coolest monkey in the jungle!" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Wed Jan 10 2018, 22:37

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

T.R.O.Y wrote:
Reebok Trotter wrote:
T.R.O.Y wrote:

I'll put it in simple terms! You CANNOT have a white spokesman in a black context. Where are all these black people complaining about the H & M advert? It's the likes of you who cause the problem harping back to the bad old days of slavery and taking up the mantle on their behalf. As if you lived through those turbulent times!
I don't know you but going off your posts you strike me as someone who is quick to have a go at LT as if you are somehow superior but I suspect if we were to scratch beneath the surface there would be bugger all evidence of your contributions to minority causes. All wind and piss with no substance. We have all heard ducks break wind underwater and you are no different.

32"Coolest monkey in the jungle!" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Wed Jan 10 2018, 22:44

Invent whatever nonsense you like about me, dream up a fantasy that makes you feel as if you are morally superior - I’m not interested in your right wing, Daily Mail fueled small minded shit. You clearly think there’s only one type of person that wouldn’t understand your viewpoint.

I am no spokesman, but can’t believe you need proof of why this is in the press. Google the Weeknd if you don’t believe black people are offended by this.

33"Coolest monkey in the jungle!" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Wed Jan 10 2018, 22:45

Leeds_Trotter wrote:
T.R.O.Y wrote:
Reebok Trotter wrote:
T.R.O.Y wrote:

Can you imagine a world where we are all that pathetic? People should starting using their brain and work out when people are and are not being offensive.

Not everyone thinks like you, is offended by the same things and feels the same way. History and persecution have an affect it’s as simple as that.

34"Coolest monkey in the jungle!" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Wed Jan 10 2018, 22:55

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

T.R.O.Y wrote:Invent whatever nonsense you like about me, dream up a fantasy that makes you feel as if you are morally superior - I’m not interested in your right wing, Daily Mail fueled small minded shit. You clearly think there’s only one type of person that wouldn’t understand your viewpoint.

I am no spokesman, but can’t believe you need proof of why this is in the press. Google the Weeknd if you don’t believe black people are offended by this.

I am not inventing anything. I am simply pointing out that you know fuck all about the grievances of black people and any perceived slight that you have taken up on their behalf is purely that. My viewpoint is my own. Leeds Trotter made a valid post and you chose to respond with your viewpoint and included me in your comment. Personally, I don't have a problem with your point of view. It's your opinion and you are entitled to it. As is Leeds Trotter. Nobodies viewpoint is superior.All opinions are of equal merit.

35"Coolest monkey in the jungle!" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Wed Jan 10 2018, 23:06

You’ve decided that because you don’t find something offensive, nobody else has the right to. 

I know as much about the grievances of black people as you do, all I’m saying is they’re better placed to decide what is crossing a line than you are. You claim not to have an issue with that; yet have spent the entire thread trying to suggest I’m a black spokesman, when I’ve claimed nothing of the sort.

My point has been consistent throughout, you’re projecting a persona which you have come across in society onto me. I have not represented those views at any point on this thread.

36"Coolest monkey in the jungle!" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Wed Jan 10 2018, 23:12

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

RT, you've made yourself look a right knob.

37"Coolest monkey in the jungle!" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Wed Jan 10 2018, 23:23

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:RT, you've made yourself look a right knob.

Oh Lord! Grant me the  mercy to forgive those that are so blind that they will not see. I'm quite happy to be a knob. I was born a knob so why should I be a saint? 

I'm happy to stand by my comments safe in the knowledge that I don't give a shit what other folk think. It's my opinion and nobody else's. 

If you agree with TROY then good for you. It's a free world. Thought is food for all mankind, for it has no owners.

38"Coolest monkey in the jungle!" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Wed Jan 10 2018, 23:27

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Nothing wrong with it, it's a good ad but it was always going to wind up the the self appointed offence takers. Get a fucking life you wankers.

39"Coolest monkey in the jungle!" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Wed Jan 10 2018, 23:59

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Angry Dad wrote:Nothing wrong with it, it's a good ad but it was always going to wind up the the self appointed offence takers. Get a fucking life you wankers.
:clap: Very Happy

40"Coolest monkey in the jungle!" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Thu Jan 11 2018, 07:35

Jesus, climb out Karly.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum