Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Reflections of better days

+8
Sluffy
boltonbonce
gloswhite
Reebok Trotter
scottjames30
Natasha Whittam
BoltonTillIDie
luckyPeterpiper
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Reflections of better days Empty Reflections of better days Sun Nov 10 2013, 19:21

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

It's quiet in my house tonight and I couldn't resist the chance to look back through my rosiest tinted glasses. 

I don't know if it's common to post things like this on here but for my money this man was the most exciting player ever to wear our shirt. 

As the commentator said, "So good they named him twice." The one and only Jay Jay Okocha. 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

How we could use him now and how sad that it's unlikely we'll ever unearth such a diamond so cheaply again.

2Reflections of better days Empty Re: Reflections of better days Sun Nov 10 2013, 19:34

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

According to Dougie, Moritz could be that man

3Reflections of better days Empty Re: Reflections of better days Sun Nov 10 2013, 19:36

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Overrated in my opinion, certainly his Bolton career anyway.

A great player on his day I'll give you that, but his day was usually shots into row Z and sideways passing. For all his tricks how many actually ended in goals? Not many.

And yes, he scored some good goals, but he was nowhere near the "legend" people suggest.

4Reflections of better days Empty Re: Reflections of better days Sun Nov 10 2013, 19:38

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

BoltonTillIDie wrote:According to Dougie, Moritz could be that man
I really hope he's right. Given our apparently cash strapped circumstances then we need a slice of luck if we're ever going to get a player of the quality of Jay Jay again. God that man could play and it was always a joy to watch him do his thing when he was at his very best. I loved how he left supposedly word class players sitting on their ass or just gaping at his back as he left them for dead. If Moritz is only half as good then we have a genuine star in the ranks.

5Reflections of better days Empty Re: Reflections of better days Sun Nov 10 2013, 19:41

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:Overrated in my opinion, certainly his Bolton career anyway.

A great player on his day I'll give you that, but his day was usually shots into row Z and sideways passing. For all his tricks how many actually ended in goals? Not many.

And yes, he scored some good goals, but he was nowhere near the "legend" people suggest.
You talk utter shite, he had his own armchair on soccer AM, do me a favour and stop talking crap, please.

6Reflections of better days Empty Re: Reflections of better days Sun Nov 10 2013, 19:52

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:Overrated in my opinion, certainly his Bolton career anyway.

:facepalm: 

7Reflections of better days Empty Re: Reflections of better days Sun Nov 10 2013, 19:55

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Bloody hell Nat, you can be a right tit at times Shocked

8Reflections of better days Empty Re: Reflections of better days Sun Nov 10 2013, 19:57

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Loved Jay Jay to bits. It was football with a smile on its face.So what if not everything he did came off,the unpredictability was all part of the excitement. The free kick he scored against Villa was outrageous,and was one of the many reasons I'll always consider him a legend. Nat's talking rubbish.She could however make a living as a ventriloquist.No one would ever see her lips move cos she talks out of her arse.

9Reflections of better days Empty Re: Reflections of better days Sun Nov 10 2013, 19:58

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He was a good player, but people forget so easily. Towards the end of his Bolton career there would be jeers when Okocha was on the teamsheet.

His was bloody useless at times.

10Reflections of better days Empty Re: Reflections of better days Sun Nov 10 2013, 20:04

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Legend at the Reebok. Always will be....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

11Reflections of better days Empty Re: Reflections of better days Sun Nov 10 2013, 20:05

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Nat , go and boil your head or something , the act is tiresome and long winded.

12Reflections of better days Empty Re: Reflections of better days Sun Nov 10 2013, 20:31

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

No act. I've said he was a good player, but not a legend. And he had as many off days as good days.

Same with Diouf. People talk about him like he was a legend, but he was another who had a lot of the ball but did very little with it.

It seems a few memorable goals overshadow a lot of mediocre games.

13Reflections of better days Empty Re: Reflections of better days Sun Nov 10 2013, 20:35

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Jay Jay is the best player that you've ever seen fact.

And don't give me a name out of the first division bollocks.

14Reflections of better days Empty Re: Reflections of better days Sun Nov 10 2013, 20:47

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

This man is the best I've ever seen in a Bolton shirt and I've followed the club for 50 years! (My God where as all the time gone?)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

15Reflections of better days Empty Re: Reflections of better days Sun Nov 10 2013, 20:49

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Awesome player but she's right, towards the end of his Bolton career he went off the boil and people frowned when he was starting games.

16Reflections of better days Empty Re: Reflections of better days Sun Nov 10 2013, 20:52

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

A lot of the Okocha affection is owed to the fact that he was a big name in world football and he signed for little Bolton Wanderers of all clubs.
He was phenomenal at times but dire at others.

17Reflections of better days Empty Re: Reflections of better days Sun Nov 10 2013, 20:58

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote: Towards the end of his Bolton career there would be jeers when Okocha was on the teamsheet.

His was bloody useless at times.
I must have missed those games because I don't recall any jeering.

18Reflections of better days Empty Re: Reflections of better days Sun Nov 10 2013, 21:03

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Have to agree with Sluffy about Fernando Hierro. I remember thinking 'Christ,what a player he must have been in his prime'. Only made 29 appearances,but watching him was a joy.

19Reflections of better days Empty Re: Reflections of better days Sun Nov 10 2013, 21:13

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Sluffy wrote:This man is the best I've ever seen in a Bolton shirt and I've followed the club for 50 years! (My God where as all the time gone?)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
For me he's a close second sluffy. I agree he was a very special player and an awesome signing for us but Jay Jay played more than 100 times for us. I've been following the trotters since 75 (not quite as long as you I admit). I just think Jay Jay has the edge because of how he could light up a game with one instant of magic. There was a joy to his play that no one else has quite matched IMO. It seems a lifetime ago since we had players of this magnitude past their prime or not and I doubt any club our size will see a World Cup winner (eg Djorkaeff) come to play for them any time soon. Sad really but the gulf in the money a 'big' club can pay compared to the likes of us is now so huge and with the advent of things like MLS and the Far East Leagues paying megabucks for a name I can't see an era like the one we had ever coming back in my lifetime.

20Reflections of better days Empty Re: Reflections of better days Sun Nov 10 2013, 21:14

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:Have to agree with Sluffy about Fernando Hierro. I remember thinking 'Christ,what a player he must have been in his prime'. Only made 29 appearances,but watching him was a joy.
Djorkaeff was another truly gifted player. We were spoilt a bit under Big Sam and were punching above our weight.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum