Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How is the Tory government doing?

+14
Cajunboy
gloswhite
xmiles
wanderlust
Natasha Whittam
okocha
Norpig
boltonbonce
Sluffy
sunlight
wessy
Ten Bobsworth
Angry Dad
Hipster_Nebula
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 34 ... 50  Next

Go down  Message [Page 18 of 50]

341How is the Tory government doing? - Page 18 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Thu Jun 18 2020, 16:46

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:Shortly after I got married, 46 years ago  Very Happy
ha ha

342How is the Tory government doing? - Page 18 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Thu Jun 18 2020, 16:48

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

A few of the many articles raising concerns over the tracing app's privacy...

The New Statesman

The Open Rights Group

SCL Tech Law

Wired

I heard that there are folk on Twatter and FB who also expressed their concerns over the app's data privacy, but I couldn't swear to that as my source is highly unreliable and I don't use either platform regularly.

343How is the Tory government doing? - Page 18 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Thu Jun 18 2020, 16:59

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:A few of the many articles raising concerns over the tracing app's privacy...

The New Statesman

The Open Rights Group

SCL Tech Law

Wired

I heard that there are folk on Twatter and FB who also expressed their concerns over the app's data privacy, but I couldn't swear to that as my source is highly unreliable and I don't use either platform regularly.

It wasn't anything to do with the privacy issue though - the facts simply show it wasn't picking up 1 in 4 of android phones and nearly none at all of iphones!

The trial was undertaken by both systems - clearly one was much better than the other.

Even Germany moved from their state system to the one we seem to be going for - do you honestly think that was for privacy concerns too?

Tbh I simply don't believe your views aren't majorly influenced by what you read on social media - everything you seem to believe seems to be conspiracy based or extreme views both of which seem to be rife on there.

344How is the Tory government doing? - Page 18 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Thu Jun 18 2020, 17:58

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:

It wasn't anything to do with the privacy issue though - the facts simply show it wasn't picking up 1 in 4 of android phones and nearly none at all of iphones!

The trial was undertaken by both systems - clearly one was much better than the other.

Even Germany moved from their state system to the one we seem to be going for - do you honestly think that was for privacy concerns too?

Tbh I simply don't believe your views aren't majorly influenced by what you read on social media - everything you seem to believe seems to be conspiracy based or extreme views both of which seem to be rife on there.
Totally accept that it was poorly thought out and impractical, but the low uptake in the trial due to distrust was also a factor in it's demise. There can be more than one reason for failure you know - and I haven't seen any evidence yet that the reason the Germans changed tack was because their centralised data system wasn't up to scratch technically. In fact the Germans ditched the centralised model in April specifically for privacy reasons. Explaining the switch, "Chancellor Angela Merkel said there would be a "much higher level of acceptance" for a decentralised approach, which is designed to offer a higher degree of anonymity." (source BBC)

FYI I don't read social media very often.

345How is the Tory government doing? - Page 18 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Thu Jun 18 2020, 22:14

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:
Sluffy wrote:

Totally accept that it was poorly thought out and impractical, but the low uptake in the trial due to distrust was also a factor in it's demise. There can be more than one reason for failure you know - and I haven't seen any evidence yet that the reason the Germans changed tack was because their centralised data system wasn't up to scratch technically. In fact the Germans ditched the centralised model in April specifically for privacy reasons. Explaining the switch, "Chancellor Angela Merkel said there would be a "much higher level of acceptance" for a decentralised approach, which is designed to offer a higher degree of anonymity." (source BBC)

FYI I don't read social media very often.

1 - The change to scrap the NHS system was because it simply didn't work - nothing at all to do with privacy issues - in fact at today's briefing we were told that the best 'bits' of 'our' system was going to be married to the best bits of the Apple/Google system to provide a system that does work!

2 - The Germans didn't change their system because mates of Johnson were working on their contract - which was the point I was making. Nor did Italy. Nor Denmark either!

3 - Clearly you do read social media, or at least the people who feed you these conspiracy theory's and extreme views because you don't come up with the ideas out of the blue and have all these links to sites just on the off-chance someone like me pulls you up about it. You are of course free to read/view/listen to whom or what you like but the old acronym GIGO (garbage in, garbage out) simply applies if you pin your colours to the wackos of this world.

4 - You don't lose any face by occasionally admitting you get things wrong (we all do every now and again), rather than continuing to defending a lost point or position.

Maybe you should try it sometime?

346How is the Tory government doing? - Page 18 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Fri Jun 19 2020, 00:34

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

When the Bank of England report came out the other week the media were fairly quiet about it and the big news - the really big news i.e. we are going to enter the worst recession for 300 years only made the papers for a day or so. A bit more coverage of this cataclysmic revelation would be in order perhaps? Anyhow I didn't blame the Government for the impending circumstantial changes - after all it's a global crisis and every country in the G8 aka our competitors for market share now we are "going it alone" will suffer the same economically, right?

Apparently not according to the OECD report which reckons the UK economy will be the worst affected. Maybe sensationalist I thought - I know it's going to be bad but not that bad when they predicted an 18% fall in April's GDP. Then the ONS gave the Government's own estimate as a 20.4% fall so maybe the OECD have a point.

In the context of "How is the Tory government doing?" what I'd like to know is if the UK suffers more economically than say e.g. France and Germany why did the government let it happen and will it disadvantage us for generations?
It's just that the Italians had a very rough time of it yet the report suggests we'll come out of it economically worse than them. How did that happen?

347How is the Tory government doing? - Page 18 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Fri Jun 19 2020, 00:55

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Probably something to do with Germany's proposed 750 billion euro stimulus plan to prop up Italy and Spain in particular.

I guess if we were still in the EU then we would be part funding this 'bail out' as well as being in the position we find ourselves in.

348How is the Tory government doing? - Page 18 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Fri Jun 19 2020, 06:38

okocha wrote:

Try this then, TROY.....

In a major U-turn, the UK is ditching the way its current coronavirus-tracing app works and shifting to a model based on technology provided by Apple and Google.

Ye saw that, yet again the gov are left looking incompetent. They were warned it wouldn’t work, yet pursued it anyway and wasted millions. It’s almost unbelievable at this point.

349How is the Tory government doing? - Page 18 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Fri Jun 19 2020, 13:15

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

T.R.O.Y. wrote:

Ye saw that, yet again the gov are left looking incompetent. They were warned it wouldn’t work, yet pursued it anyway and wasted millions. It’s almost unbelievable at this point.
The flip side of the coin is that the government were attempting to give UK based companies the opportunity to show how good they were, which is only fair.
Criticising after the event is much easier, but trying to do the right thing in an unprecented situation isn't always obvious.

350How is the Tory government doing? - Page 18 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Fri Jun 19 2020, 13:18

Don't agree Glos, they were told by experts at the beginning it wouldn't work with iOS. It's a perfectly valid criticism.

351How is the Tory government doing? - Page 18 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Fri Jun 19 2020, 13:23

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

T.R.O.Y. wrote:Don't agree Glos, they were told by experts at the beginning it wouldn't work with iOS. It's a perfectly valid criticism.
Fair enough. I wasn't aware of that specific problem being known at the time.

352How is the Tory government doing? - Page 18 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Fri Jun 19 2020, 13:29

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

T.R.O.Y. wrote:Don't agree Glos, they were told by experts at the beginning it wouldn't work with iOS. It's a perfectly valid criticism.

For all your criticism of the government over many issues, I don't once remember you flagging up the problem until after the event.

353How is the Tory government doing? - Page 18 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Fri Jun 19 2020, 13:49

Misplaced faith that maybe they know more than I do and behind the scenes they have a plan to make it work. 

Should just take things at face value as their idiocy was clear from the start in this instance.

354How is the Tory government doing? - Page 18 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Fri Jun 19 2020, 14:56

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

T.R.O.Y. wrote:Misplaced faith that maybe they know more than I do and behind the scenes they have a plan to make it work. 

Should just take things at face value as their idiocy was clear from the start in this instance.

Good answer.

So from now on I expect to hear you moaning before the event, not after.

355How is the Tory government doing? - Page 18 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Fri Jun 19 2020, 15:02

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Here is an example for you Nat. Boris' decision to spend £900,000 repainting a plane is not a sensible use of money at this time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53082294

356How is the Tory government doing? - Page 18 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Fri Jun 19 2020, 15:14

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote:Here is an example for you Nat. Boris' decision to spend £900,000 repainting a plane is not a sensible use of money at this time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53082294
You'd think Boris would give that money to the NHS on top of the additional £350 million a week he promised the nation.
Presume those additional payments have already started now that we're out of Europe, although i haven't heard the official announcement yet.

357How is the Tory government doing? - Page 18 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Fri Jun 19 2020, 15:32

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Good answer.

Many thanks.

358How is the Tory government doing? - Page 18 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Fri Jun 19 2020, 18:19

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

T.R.O.Y. wrote:

Many thanks.
Very Happy

359How is the Tory government doing? - Page 18 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Sat Jun 20 2020, 01:15

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I so want to see blustering Boris take on the 2 minute challenge as owned here by Kiwi PM Jacinda Ardern.

360How is the Tory government doing? - Page 18 Empty Re: How is the Tory government doing? Sat Jun 20 2020, 07:47

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Boris can only talk about promises he has made and broken. He has achieved nothing apart from the disaster called brexit. Plus doing anything for two minutes sounds like too much hard work for someone as lazy as him.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 18 of 50]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 34 ... 50  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum