Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Coronavirus - will we survive?

+20
BoltonTillIDie
finlaymcdanger
Cajunboy
sunlight
Ten Bobsworth
wessy
luckyPeterpiper
observer
bwfc71
Angry Dad
okocha
xmiles
gloswhite
Natasha Whittam
boltonbonce
Sluffy
wanderlust
Boggersbelief
Norpig
karlypants
24 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 39 ... 48  Next

Go down  Message [Page 30 of 48]

581Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 30 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Tue Oct 13 2020, 13:04

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:Vaccine trials have hit a problem. Trump's big hope ("we'll have a vaccine in place before the election") Johnson and Johnson, have suspended trials after a participant in the study developed an unknown neurological illness. AstraZeneca's trial has also been suspended since September due to similar problems.

Astra Zeneca's trial restarted a month ago -

Coronavirus: Oxford University to resume vaccine trial after pause

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54132066

582Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 30 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Tue Oct 13 2020, 17:42

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:

Astra Zeneca's trial restarted a month ago -

Coronavirus: Oxford University to resume vaccine trial after pause

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54132066
Hadn't noticed it restarted yesterday and TBH I'm surprised they did after a second participant had neurological problems.

583Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 30 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Tue Oct 13 2020, 19:36

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's just been confirmed that a 25 year old bloke in Nevada has become the first person on record to catch Covid twice.

So either the antibodies don't work or the virus is mutating rapidly.

584Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 30 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Tue Oct 13 2020, 23:47

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:It's just been confirmed that a 25 year old bloke in Nevada has become the first person on record to catch Covid twice.

So either the antibodies don't work or the virus is mutating rapidly.

Been reading social media again I see.

What you have written is not true.

"So far, reinfection seems to be rare - there have been only a few examples out of more than 37 million confirmed cases.

Reports in Hong Kong, Belgium and the Netherlands said they were no more serious than the first. One in Ecuador mirrored the US case in being more severe, but did not need hospital treatment.

However, it is still early into the pandemic, and the history of other types of coronavirus means protection is expected to wane".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54512034

And if you look on this link to...

Posted at 7:32
Covid-19 reinfection

...you will find an audio interview explaining what has happened and why.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/coronavirus

585Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 30 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Wed Oct 14 2020, 00:30

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Here's a great article  about Covid mutation.

Discusses identified Covid mutations to date, similarities with the original, speculates on future mutations, explains how mutations affect vaccine development, how long immunity is likely to last etc.

Sort of reassuring but there are a lot of variables in there Smile

586Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 30 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Wed Oct 14 2020, 02:04

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Sluffy wrote:

Been reading social media again I see.

What you have written is not true.

"So far, reinfection seems to be rare - there have been only a few examples out of more than 37 million confirmed cases.

Reports in Hong Kong, Belgium and the Netherlands said they were no more serious than the first. One in Ecuador mirrored the US case in being more severe, but did not need hospital treatment.

However, it is still early into the pandemic, and the history of other types of coronavirus means protection is expected to wane".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54512034

And if you look on this link to...

Posted at 7:32
Covid-19 reinfection

...you will find an audio interview explaining what has happened and why.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/coronavirus

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/13/europe/covid-19-dutch-woman-reinfection-death-intl/index.html

An unfortunate case today of reinfection.

587Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 30 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Wed Oct 14 2020, 14:25

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Listening to the Parliamentary debate today it seems like both sides have missed the point.
Boris wants to have a locally targeted solution, but the Tier 3 measures are inadequate and unenforceable whereas Sir Keir wants a national lockdown which would be detrimental to the economy in areas that don't need a lockdown.

588Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 30 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Wed Oct 14 2020, 16:54

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Its sad to see two mediocre politicians trying to score points from each other, and in the middle of a pandemic.

589Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 30 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Wed Oct 14 2020, 17:18

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:Its sad to see two mediocre politicians trying to score points from each other, and in the middle of a pandemic.
Agreed but I do think the onus is on the Government to stop faffing about, come up with a coherent strategy and communicate it properly as there will be no satisfactory answer until they do. Sure Starmer can come up with questions and suggestions but ultimately he can't do anything about the situation - Boris can.
Too many people are ignoring the advice and that's largely because it's flaky advice that seems to discriminate arbitrarily e.g. why Liverpool?
If the guidance said "in areas where there are x number of new cases per y people over z amount of time, you will have to do a, b and c" then people in that area would understand it - and they may even self-regulate better if they knew their area was approaching a key milestone.
That said, to announce the daily/weekly figures in any area it would require a proper testing system such as they have elsewhere in the world.

The other aspect that is sadly lacking is any provision of enforcement capability which would be required mainly at the start until folk get the hang of it and realise their are consequences. Use the army to detain miscreants if necessary. Again folk would be far more inclined to self-regulate once they get it. Where communities play the game they will thrive.
Those simple provisions are surely not beyond the wit of the government and the cost would be more than offset by the economic benefits to the country.

Moreover the message would change from "we are doing this arbitrarily to you" to "it's up to you, people of Britain, to play the game and help ensure that others in your community do also - if you do you'll benefit"

590Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 30 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Wed Oct 14 2020, 21:15

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Last edited by karlypants on Wed Oct 14 2020, 21:17; edited 1 time in total

591Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 30 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Wed Oct 14 2020, 21:16

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Agree with every bit of that Wander. Apparently Boris has always been a libertarian, and doesn't want to deprive people of their own free will. Now is not the time to be everybody's friend, its not working. We could do with somebody with a backbone right now.

I was going to say like Maggie, then thought XM would throw a wobbly, and then I thought to myself, where's XM ?

592Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 30 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Wed Oct 14 2020, 23:30

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:
I was going to say like Maggie,
Don't you start swearing at me....she sold us down the river and here we are at the coast...... Very Happy

593Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 30 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Thu Oct 15 2020, 13:47

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

gloswhite wrote:Agree with every bit of that Wander. Apparently Boris has always been a libertarian, and doesn't want to deprive people of their own free will. Now is not the time to be everybody's friend, its not working. We could do with somebody with a backbone right now.

I was going to say like Maggie, then thought XM would throw a wobbly, and then I thought to myself, where's XM ?
No need for backbone, just a PM with something between his ears would be a start.

594Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 30 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Thu Oct 15 2020, 14:00

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Boris is in a bad position due to his own doing.  They have been banging on about following the science like some sort of comfort blanket, then when it comes to the second wave and tough economic decisions, they blatantly dump the advice, that's fine and in their gift but they have to own the consequences.

Starmer by coming out for the circuit breaker is saying that he is following the science, We know that delay had a serious repercussion on the numbers in March, so it follows the same applies now , Boris in taking the decision to go for regional lockdowns has now in terms of the science wasted three weeks.

He now can't be seen to change tack to soon so he will delay further whilst his tier plan unfolds.

If by then the numbers are out of control and if he needs to bring in a circuit breaker he will be seen once again to have got it wrong and be responsible for x number of deaths. For me Starmer played a pretty good move in terms of out manouvering the PM.

595Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 30 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Thu Oct 15 2020, 14:43

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I saw it as political point scoring. The "circuit breaker" is an absolute nonsense, it will make a minor difference if at all.

The government has got into difficulty because it's been way too soft from the start, but the reason this virus has got out of control in this country is because of the British people and their mentality.

Blame the government all you like, but people aren't following the rules. If we all followed the rules and made those sacrifices the virus would be in retreat, but instead we've got a large percentage of twats who think the rules don't apply to them.

Yes, the government has been poor, but the British people have been much, much worse. An absolute embarrassment in fact.

596Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 30 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Thu Oct 15 2020, 15:06

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Natasha Whittam wrote:I saw it as political point scoring. The "circuit breaker" is an absolute nonsense, it will make a minor difference if at all.

The government has got into difficulty because it's been way too soft from the start, but the reason this virus has got out of control in this country is because of the British people and their mentality.

Blame the government all you like, but people aren't following the rules. If we all followed the rules and made those sacrifices the virus would be in retreat, but instead we've got a large percentage of twats who think the rules don't apply to them.

Yes, the government has been poor, but the British people have been much, much worse. An absolute embarrassment in fact.

We need Natasha to take on Bozo the Clown... I mean Trump!  Her last paragraph applies across the pond as well.

597Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 30 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Thu Oct 15 2020, 15:15

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:I saw it as political point scoring. The "circuit breaker" is an absolute nonsense, it will make a minor difference if at all.

But if the virus is out of control then surely we need a circuit breaker period?

I agree that we as a nation don't help ourselves so to my mind the circuit breaker is needed and tougher penalties need to be imposed on people who won't follow the rules.

598Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 30 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Thu Oct 15 2020, 15:27

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:But if the virus is out of control then surely we need a circuit breaker period?

I agree that we as a nation don't help ourselves so to my mind the circuit breaker is needed and tougher penalties need to be imposed on people who won't follow the rules.

A two week circuit breaker will achieve very little. It took a 3 month lockdown to get it under control earlier in the year.

Don't worry, I don't class you as one of the twats, I know Mrs Pig has insisted you wear a mask in public for years.

599Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 30 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Thu Oct 15 2020, 15:52

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:

A two week circuit breaker will achieve very little. It took a 3 month lockdown to get it under control earlier in the year.

Don't worry, I don't class you as one of the twats, I know Mrs Pig has insisted you wear a mask in public for years.
it's worse than that

Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 30 105012497-unhappy-man-with-sad-emoticon-in-front-of-paper-bag-on-his-head-on-white-background

600Coronavirus - will we survive? - Page 30 Empty Re: Coronavirus - will we survive? Thu Oct 15 2020, 15:54

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

You're slimmer than I imagined.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 30 of 48]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 39 ... 48  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum