Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

+7
wanderlust
WhiteBic
Sluffy
Mr Magoo
aaron_bwfc
Boggersbelief
Natasha Whittam
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Age: Should You Be Able To Hide It? Empty Age: Should You Be Able To Hide It? Fri Apr 12 2013, 11:55

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Actress Junie Hoang has lost her case against IMDb (the internet movie database). She sued them for posting her real age, 41, rather than age 34 which she had provided them with.

Her claim was for £650k, the amount she claims IMDb has cost her by posting her real age. She reckons Hollywood isn't interested in actresses over 35.

Her film credits include the brilliantly titled Gingerdead Man 3: Saturday Night Cleaver.

This throws up an interesting question - should you be able to lie about your age when applying for jobs? Have you ever done it or would you consider it? If you've ever conducted an interview, would you be more likely to employ someone aged 35 over a 45 year old?

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Do you lie about your age?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boggersbelief wrote:Do you lie about your age?

Not at the moment, but I suspect once I pass 35 I will have to.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Why would you want to lie about your age, not sure if it's because im only 23 but it just seems pointless.

Age is just a number.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

aaron_bwfc wrote:
Age is just a number.

So if you meet a hot 75 year old tonight you'll bang her brains out?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

aaron_bwfc wrote:Why would you want to lie about your age.

:facepalm:

If it's the difference between getting a job and not getting it, what do you think?

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Very Happy

If she looked like Kelly Brook i'd think about it.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Nat looks like Kelly brook.

Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

But with smaller tits and a big nose.

10Age: Should You Be Able To Hide It? Empty Re: Age: Should You Be Able To Hide It? Fri Apr 12 2013, 12:42

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I think I'm right in saying that job application forms for the public sector no longer ask for your age or date of birth - although if you put the dates you were at school or uni, or full job record it is easy enough to guess it within reason.

I've been discriminated in the past over being thought too old for a job - they never said as much but it was fairly obvious - and I probably would have done the same in their position.

There are advantages with age but there are disadvantages as well - same with being young too!

At the end of the day it is about getting the right person for the job at the cheapest price!

It's the way of the world we live in.

11Age: Should You Be Able To Hide It? Empty Re: Age: Should You Be Able To Hide It? Fri Apr 12 2013, 14:37

WhiteBic

WhiteBic
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

I don't think you should be able to hide your age and that no mark actress doesn't deserve a dime.

I am also interested to know Magoo, boggers and BPDs age because they seem to be acting like kids on the "What do you think is the biggest threat to your survival thread" Very Happy

12Age: Should You Be Able To Hide It? Empty Re: Age: Should You Be Able To Hide It? Fri Apr 12 2013, 14:38

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

WhiteBic wrote:

I am also interested to know Magoo, boggers and BPDs age because they seem to be acting like kids on the "What do you think is the biggest threat to your survival thread" Very Happy

Magoo: 58
Boggers: 21
BDP: 35

13Age: Should You Be Able To Hide It? Empty Re: Age: Should You Be Able To Hide It? Fri Apr 12 2013, 14:39

Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

102 yrs old you sad man/woman.

14Age: Should You Be Able To Hide It? Empty Re: Age: Should You Be Able To Hide It? Fri Apr 12 2013, 14:39

Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Natasha Whittam wrote:
WhiteBic wrote:

I am not 58

15Age: Should You Be Able To Hide It? Empty Re: Age: Should You Be Able To Hide It? Fri Apr 12 2013, 14:46

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
WhiteBic wrote:

I'm not 21

16Age: Should You Be Able To Hide It? Empty Re: Age: Should You Be Able To Hide It? Fri Apr 12 2013, 14:48

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's a shame that society and social convention make such a big deal about age. I can understand when applied to children because they need protecting, but once adulthood is achieved all the stigmas and prejudices kick in. Women are expected to be something they're not and old people are expected to gracefully disappear into the background.
I blame my generation. We made a big deal about the value of youth in the 60s and 70s. New ideas that stigmatised the old and blamed them for the cultural mess we were in and the social conventions that hid what was really happening in homes up and down the country. With all the innovation that came out, ostensibly to change people's lives for the better, it was hard to argue against.
As it panned out, the same old shit happens, people's expectations rose and therefore we aren't really happier, and the media generation we created took the age message to heart and still pumps out a pile of crap that marginalises the older generations. In an ideal world there should be no need to lie about age, but I guess everybody has to survive and whilst discrimination exists in whatever form, people will lie to try to get round it. Lying is bad, but discrimination is worse.

17Age: Should You Be Able To Hide It? Empty Re: Age: Should You Be Able To Hide It? Fri Apr 12 2013, 18:46

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:
aaron_bwfc wrote:Why would you want to lie about your age.

:facepalm:

If it's the difference between getting a job and not getting it, what do you think?

Then that would be discrimination, which is now illegal, if you knew anything about business!

18Age: Should You Be Able To Hide It? Empty Re: Age: Should You Be Able To Hide It? Fri Apr 12 2013, 19:03

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc71 wrote:

Then that would be discrimination, which is now illegal, if you knew anything about business!

So I'm a fat cat businessman interviewing two women for a role. One is 35 and fit, the other is 45 and not fit. They both have similar qualities but the 35 year old is nicer to look at so I choose her.

No one can prove discrimination because the discrimination happened in my head and I'm not telling anyone.

This will go on in every business in the country.

19Age: Should You Be Able To Hide It? Empty Re: Age: Should You Be Able To Hide It? Fri Apr 12 2013, 19:05

Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Quite right Nat.

20Age: Should You Be Able To Hide It? Empty Re: Age: Should You Be Able To Hide It? Fri Apr 12 2013, 19:08

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Mr Magoo wrote:Quite right Nat.

But the same can be said for any discrimination - the sex of a person, t6he colouor of a person, the sexual orientation of a person, the colour of a persons hair, etc etc etc

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum