Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Nottingham Forest 1-1 Bolton Wanderers

+25
Reebok_Rebel
doffcocker
Hipster_Nebula
xmiles
MartinBWFC
chipbutty
terenceanne
Bolton Nuts
gloswhite
WhiteBic
Soul Kitchen
Keegan
Copper Dragon
JonnyRandom
Sluffy
Pistachio
NickFazer
Sgt. Bash
Leeds_Trotter
Reebok Trotter
aaron_bwfc
wanderlust
Boggersbelief
Natasha Whittam
BoltonTillIDie
29 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 6]

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

[16:56:24] Spillthebeans joined the chat on Sat Feb 16, 2013
4:56 pm

[16:56:26] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] : Well that was fun
.....see you blokes for the inquest later.

[16:56:29] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] : Good point under
the circumstances

[16:56:32] Jingizu99 has logged off the chat on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:56 pm

[16:56:35] Jingizu99 joined the chat on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:56 pm

[16:56:35] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] : Not really good
enough though

[16:56:40] @ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] : thanks biggie!

[16:56:43] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] : enjoy your piss
Biggie

[16:56:45] terenceanne has logged off the chat on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:56 pm

[16:56:59] @ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] : BOG
off WL

[16:57:06] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] : Think Biggie
already enjoying it

[16:57:14] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] : cheers biggie

[16:57:39] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] : [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[16:57:48] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] : Thnks
Biggie, good job

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

If DF doesn't start the next game with a duo that has produced 3 goals in 2 games, then he has to have a bloody good reason, and I'm sure we'd all like to hear it

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Kevin Davies should never ever start a game again, totally passed it by a Country mile.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Starting with SKD up front on his own and Sordell and Cavies on the bench with Ngog until the game is virtually over! Is anyone but Dougie surprised we didn't win?

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think it should be clear by now that Dougie likes to keep it tight, and play defensive away from home.

Something i seem to remember there being a yearning for when we used to go "gung ho" 4-4-2 with Coyle.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Quote from phil brown today: "There's a resilience about Bolton, a 'we won't be beaten' which wasn't there at the start of the season."

I don't know if this resillience is a good thing to be honest, we don't win enough!

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boggersbelief wrote:Quote from phil brown today: "There's a resilience about Bolton, a 'we won't be beaten' which wasn't there at the start of the season."

I don't know if this resillience is a good thing to be honest, we don't win enough!
Well it's an improvement on where we were so I think it's fair comment. But we all want more.

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Nothing wrong with a 10 man team managing to get a point today.

If Dougie's subs are scoring goals then let him keep doing it like he is. Some players are just better off the bench. Look at Ngogs number of goals. He played about a zillion matches and scored one after starting. He has now scored what, four or five off the bench? Let Doug continue the job.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Hipster_Nebula wrote:I think it should be clear by now that Dougie likes to keep it tight, and play defensive away from home.

Something i seem to remember there being a yearning for when we used to go "gung ho" 4-4-2 with Coyle.

You keep saying this like people should be pleased that we've gone from one extreme to the other.

Incidentally, I believe this to be Gartside's logic also. That the remedy for everything is it's polar opposite. Sammy Lee was too attacking, we were way too open, so we needed Gary Megson, because he's ultra-defensive. Coyle was gung ho, we were way too open, so dull as ditch water defensive Dougie is the man we want.

Balance is needed.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I don't agree that dougie is ultra defensive tbh.

Last time out we had De Ridder, Chungy, Eagles and Sordell starting, I'd say fairly attacking.

away from home this week we've gone less attacking with Davo up top but kept De Ridder and chungy on the wings.

to me it just seems he likes to be a bit more open at home and away, a lot less. But i might be wrong.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I think he should stop trying to second-guess the oppositions tactics, and play to his own team's strengths. If we need to change during a game, then so be it.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think it's fair to say he still doesn't know his "strongest team" yet.

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Dougie strikes me as a youmg gary megson...

Containment was his thing too.

All this defend defend defend shit and 'trying not to lose instead of win' is grating on me.

We looked better with 2 strikers on attacking, so why not start like that?

I want to see us set up to win matches, not to 'not lose' them!

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Thats true, especially as he won't bloody well play them. I have this sinking feeling that by the time he's tried all the combinations throughout the team, the season will be over, and we may not even have gained mid table mediocrity.. To my mind, this season is written off as one for building.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

RR, agree with you there. Megson was the only manager I knew who would start with defending a 0 - 0

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

TBF sorting out our leaky defence was DFs first priority on arrival. He's achieved that to some extent but as was mentioned at the time, he'd have to do so at the expense of our attacking options - which is exactly what's happened.
Whilst we're still only 4 points above the relegation zone you can understand his reticence to sacrifice a midfielder from the off. At some point he might have the confidence to change the system but with games running out I'd like him to gamble a bit now and see what we can do. If we get stuffed then he can always revert to containment followed by late subs if required. I just think it would be shame if we end the season mid-table wondering what might have happened if we'd been a bit more adventurous.
At least he's shown willing to throw on attackers towards the end - Megson wouldn't have done that. It's a start and maybe it'll convince him to have a go with 442 at home at least. Sadly, next home game is Hull so I'm not sure he will for that one.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I've never understood the idea of sorting a team out, unit by unit. After Coyle went, I knew a lot of people that wanted a McCarthy type in because "they can't defend, and he'd sort that out!"

So what happens when the defence is "sorted"? Do we simply become a defensively tighter version of what we were?

Is there a process involved for "sorting out" each individual area of a team out or is there a way of playing that best strikes a balance between defence and attack?

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I could only follow our game today via the android Fotmob app. From the starting XI, it looks like we played for a draw and just about got it.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Got back from the game about an hour ago. IMO we we're lucky to come away with anything today, especially the first half which was ever worse than the burnley performance.

Our midfield was woeful for the most part, Pratley the only one to have a good game, De Ridder and Lee might aswell have been sat in the stands. To be fair our defenders put their bodies on the line when it mattered and I am not too sure who was at fault for their goal.

DF got it as wrong as he could have done by selecting SKD, not SKD's fault to be fair because he had 2 6foot defenders in his back so stood little chance of ever winning the ball when it got hoofed up to him. CD looked good again when he came on though, made some good runs and worked well with Pratley.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum