Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Eagles off in January?

+22
wessy
CAMPO
NickFazer
Norpig
BoltonTillIDie
aaron_bwfc
scottjames30
boltonbonce
doffcocker
Boggersbelief
Mo
observer
xmiles
Hipster_Nebula
Tigermin
terenceanne
wanderlust
Copper Dragon
rammywhite
Reebok Trotter
Natasha Whittam
Culcheth_White
26 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1Eagles off in January? Empty Eagles off in January? Tue Oct 08 2013, 09:52

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Well, according to Nixon, if an offer comes in for Eagles in January he'll be sold! Eagles is out of contract at the end of the season, btw.

How would you feel about Eagles being sold?

2Eagles off in January? Empty Re: Eagles off in January? Tue Oct 08 2013, 10:22

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It would be very, very stupid.

Eagles was our best player last season but I suspect he isn't a Dougie type of player because he hasn't been given a proper chance since his injury - yet other far shitter players like Lee & Ngog have had plenty of game time.

Eagles should be the first name on the teamsheet, but I suspect this will be another player to fuck off for peanuts.

3Eagles off in January? Empty Re: Eagles off in January? Tue Oct 08 2013, 10:35

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

1. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Al, Do you think Chris Eagles will stay at Bolton?
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] No

3. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] what’s happened there al? It was only a few months ago that DF said he’s a big part of his plans.

4. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Think recent games have shown the pattern. A few just been around too long. Got to go for hungry players now

4Eagles off in January? Empty Re: Eagles off in January? Tue Oct 08 2013, 10:45

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Culcheth_White wrote:[list=1]

Think recent games have shown the pattern. A few just been around too long. Got to go for hungry players now
If you ask me, it's just Nixon thinking aloud. He might have had Coyle's ear but there is no guarantee that Dougie is pumping him with info.

5Eagles off in January? Empty Re: Eagles off in January? Tue Oct 08 2013, 10:46

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Nat is correct- it would be a destructive move to sell him. He's the sort of player we need- he can score as well which is a rare commodity at the Reebok at the minute.

6Eagles off in January? Empty Re: Eagles off in January? Tue Oct 08 2013, 11:56

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Reebok Trotter wrote:
Culcheth_White wrote:[list=1]

Think recent games have shown the pattern. A few just been around too long. Got to go for hungry players now
If you ask me, it's just Nixon thinking aloud. He might have had Coyle's ear but there is no guarantee that Dougie is pumping him with info.

Quite right.

You don't really have to be in the know to know that Dougie is trying to get his own men in, and the only way he can do that is off loading some.

7Eagles off in January? Empty Re: Eagles off in January? Tue Oct 08 2013, 12:02

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think I may have said this before, so please excuse me if I'm repeating myself, but...
Whilst Chris Eagles looks good and runs around a lot, I'm not convinced he is a net benefit to the team i.e. there's not enough of an end product. True he occasionally scores with a long shot - and I am as guilty as anyone of screaming at him to shoot whenever he gets into the opposition half - but I would think his stats are piss poor. His shooting is very wayward and he scores one in thirty or one in forty attempts - something like that. The problem for me is that every time he miscues or runs into a blind alley, we turn over possession.
Perhaps because of his preference for having a dip, he seldom if ever makes a killer pass to a teammate so I imagine his "assists" are very low too.
I have no hard statistical evidence for any of this - but would love to see the Prozone numbers for Eagles. Just let's say that I wouldn't be surprised if his stat analysis suggests that despite his flamboyant style, he is in reality one of the weakest midfielders.
And if that's true, it would make sense to sell him whilst we can still get a return.

8Eagles off in January? Empty Re: Eagles off in January? Tue Oct 08 2013, 12:06

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Maybe Eagles doesn't want to stay? If that's the case, Dougie doesn't have much choice but to sell him in January.

Apparently, Eagles, Chungy, N'Gog, Knight, Wheater and Mears are all available.

9Eagles off in January? Empty Re: Eagles off in January? Tue Oct 08 2013, 12:30

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

No thinking is required .... certainly Eagles is in our top three players..... you weaken the team if you sell your best players.

It's a no ambition move as per usual.

10Eagles off in January? Empty Re: Eagles off in January? Tue Oct 08 2013, 12:37

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Culcheth_White wrote:Maybe Eagles doesn't want to stay? If that's the case, Dougie doesn't have much choice but to sell him in January.

Those are 6 players who I imagine are amongst the highest earners left at the club after what has been a clearout of of epic proportions started by OC. If you put that together with the idea that in order for Dougie to have the finances to shape his own team, the idea of selling them may have some substance.

None of these players has been outstanding recently, so would it be such a big loss if they went?

They have had every opportunity to show some form and have even had the incentive of competition for places from the new boys, but have hardly risen to the challenge so far.

If they went, it would be saddening to know that we haven't seen the best of them and that rather than selling them on at a profit as we once did, we'd be letting them go for knock down prices to cut our losses. Still, if it enables us to bring in more players with an appetite for game time and hopefully with the qualities we need, it may well be worthwhile getting rid whilst we can.

Obviously that would raise questions about who comes in....

11Eagles off in January? Empty Re: Eagles off in January? Tue Oct 08 2013, 12:59

Tigermin

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

If they sell Eagles and keep El Prat on the books they can have my season ticket back !

12Eagles off in January? Empty Re: Eagles off in January? Tue Oct 08 2013, 13:00

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

On big wages no doubt, so if it allows us to bring in a couple of Feeneys then good luck to him.

quite frankly he's never been consistent enough IMO, but a rare creative player in this squad that would need replaced.

hardly a "no ambition" move. What absolute nonsense.

Why tie up big wages in a player who "brings it" every 5th game? Constantly shooting from 30 yards isn't changing the game. Thats what Jay Jay used when he lost that yard of pace.

I wouldn't bat an eye lid if we got rid of Eagles or CYL.

13Eagles off in January? Empty Re: Eagles off in January? Tue Oct 08 2013, 13:05

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Culcheth_White wrote:Maybe Eagles doesn't want to stay? If that's the case, Dougie doesn't have much choice but to sell him in January.

Honestly would any of us miss any of these apart from Eagles? Most of us would personally drive Knight and Mears to another club if we could. Lee, Ngog and Wheater have all been poor recently. Getting rid of what are presumably the highest paid players we still have (thanks again Owen) makes financial sense.

14Eagles off in January? Empty Re: Eagles off in January? Tue Oct 08 2013, 13:13

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

This probably depends on what the market is like for Eagles.  DF would probably give him a new contract for less money.  If the market is not what Eagles and his agent expect, then economics says he stays.  If the market bears fruit, then he is off.  I hope he stays... one of the few players who can bring life to the club... now if he would bring a few more goals, that would be great.

15Eagles off in January? Empty Re: Eagles off in January? Tue Oct 08 2013, 13:27

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:Whilst Chris Eagles looks good and runs around a lot, I'm not convinced he is a net benefit to the team i.e. there's not enough of an end product.
You're right. Our leading scorer with most assists last season is concrete proof you are talking sense Rolling Eyes 

I also think Real Madrid should get rid of Ronaldo as he was also their leading scorer and had most assists last season.

16Eagles off in January? Empty Re: Eagles off in January? Tue Oct 08 2013, 13:36

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
wanderlust wrote:Whilst Chris Eagles looks good and runs around a lot, I'm not convinced he is a net benefit to the team i.e. there's not enough of an end product.
You're right. Our leading scorer with most assists last season is concrete proof you are talking sense Rolling Eyes 

Of course I'm right. All the other players would have had 10 or more goals each if it wasn't for Eagles being so greedy.
The club would convince him to stay if he was any good.

17Eagles off in January? Empty Re: Eagles off in January? Tue Oct 08 2013, 13:54

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think you have become a WUM and don't even realise it.

Of course we should sell our best player because he is a bit greedy, who should we replace him with that scores nearly every time he gets in the penalty area? Messi? Ronaldo?

18Eagles off in January? Empty Re: Eagles off in January? Tue Oct 08 2013, 14:01

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Nat can you stop mentioning Chris Eagles and Chris(tiano) Ronaldo together.

This is the guy that was boo'd off by Bolton fans last season, remember that. Now he's indispensable.

finances are key at the moment, sometimes you have to take a step back to take two forward. If shedding him gets us one or more younger more motivated players at the club then it's a good thing IMO.

19Eagles off in January? Empty Re: Eagles off in January? Tue Oct 08 2013, 14:03

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ha ha Hipster, you now just take the opposite view to me, regardless of what I say.

If I'd come on here saying we should sell our best player and only real attacking threat you'd have shot me down within minutes.

This has become a game to you. Shame on you.

20Eagles off in January? Empty Re: Eagles off in January? Tue Oct 08 2013, 14:04

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:I think you have become a WUM and don't even realise it.

Of course we should sell our best player because he is a bit greedy, who should we replace him with that scores nearly every time he gets in the penalty area? Messi? Ronaldo?
Mods: Can we get a "desperate to win an imaginary "linguistic battle"" icon please?.

Seeing as you asked, I think we should get Messi as he's more of a team player.

Last edited by wanderlust on Tue Oct 08 2013, 14:07; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum