Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Enrich-ing the squad on a shoestring

+10
JAH
Sluffy
boltonbonce
scottjames30
Boggersbelief
MartinBWFC
Bwfc1958
luckyPeterpiper
Norpig
wanderlust
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

scottjames30 wrote:PM me the lotto numbers then, i will let you come to our gangbang.
Very Happy

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

One way of bolstering the squad on a shoestring is through loans and whilst e.g. Yedlin would be a great addition to the squad, it's not a solution as we've found out every year since we got relegated. Last year we had Janko filling the RB slot when Vela wasn't played out of position there but as usual the loan player goes back to his club with a bunch of experience at the end of the loan period.
Experience we are denying our own players.
I understand that youngsters may not be ready for the first team and they may never reach the standard of premiership loanees, but how will they improve without experience?
If they are never going to make it we should get shut and buy (i.e. get to keep) whatever we can afford IMO. We have two or three RBs on our books at the moment so what's happening to them? I assume they are still being paid so where's the economic sense in paying to bring in a loanee on top of what we're already paying? I know Hayden White and Andy Kellett are hardly worldbeaters but surely one of them could do a job for us this season?

Obviously the American lad is a sprinter and will scare defences but if we're rebuilding the squad on a shoestring, shouldn't we be doing it with our players? Or have we signed up to the Spurs youth development programme?

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

lusty the problem is we can't afford to buy anyone even half decent even if we shut down the academy entirely (it won't surprise me to hear they're doing just that next year btw). 

Neil can talk the talk and even mean it but no way will Ed and Phil give him the dosh to even think about walking the walk mate. Don't be surprised if the Madine deal falls through at the last minute and don't be even slightly astonished if we get into August having signed no one permanently who isn't already here. I bet none of the triallists ever play a competitive game for us and I bet we have to scramble in the loan markets after everyone else in the division has done their business.

You don't need money to sign good players. It just makes it easier.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:lusty the problem is we can't afford to buy anyone even half decent even if we shut down the academy entirely (it won't surprise me to hear they're doing just that next year btw). 

Neil can talk the talk and even mean it but no way will Ed and Phil give him the dosh to even think about walking the walk mate. Don't be surprised if the Madine deal falls through at the last minute and don't be even slightly astonished if we get into August having signed no one permanently who isn't already here. I bet none of the triallists ever play a competitive game for us and I bet we have to scramble in the loan markets after everyone else in the division has done their business.

Healthy skepticism is a good thing especially given our recent history, but you need to be put on suicide watch Peter.

God knows what you'll be like when the transfer window actually opens.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i think LPP must have met up with Rebel recently, that would explain it all  Laughing

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Norpig wrote:i think LPP must have met up with Rebel recently, that would explain it all  Laughing
Nope, just look at the last three or four years and you'll see a pattern that's already being followed this summer. While Season tickets are on sale, especially renewals the BN goes nuts with "Manager targets X,Y and Z, talks ongoing, deal close' etc and then come July it all goes silent. Finally on the last day or so of the window those 'close deals' suddenly 'fall through at the last minute' and we dip into the loan market to try and sign someone. 

Look what's already happened with Morgan. Expect the same with Maguire et al, they'll go to a club that can pay them with money instead of hob knobs and we'll announce 'sadly we couldn't quite close the deal because his personal terms were out of our reach'.

Except for last season when we did all of our business within about a month. Let's not let that get in the way though, it's another Gartside conspiracy!

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

bwfc1874 wrote:Except for last season when we did all of our business within about a month. Let's not let that get in the way though, it's another Gartside conspiracy!
All our business? Funny that, I seem to remember we wound up loaning most of our players and not buying or signing anyone permanently. 

Seriously 1874, are you really saying you think this club is in any kind of decent shape or that Gartside is at all competent? I wish I had some optimism but I just don't and for good reason. I don't care what the guy's name is, don't need marquee signings on mega bucks to think we've got a chance but way too many of our 'targets' have wound up elsewhere all too often for me to feel this summer will be any different.

luckyPeterpiper wrote:All our business? Funny that, I seem to remember we wound up loaning most of our players and not buying or signing anyone permanently. 

Okay well this is the problem then, you don't remember.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And no, I'm well aware of our financial situation which is obvious from any comment I make regarding our transfer business. The difference is I'm realistic both in terms of who we'll sign and the fact I don't have a fit whenever a link in the newspaper doesn't happen.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

bwfc1874 wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:All our business? Funny that, I seem to remember we wound up loaning most of our players and not buying or signing anyone permanently. 

And no, I'm well aware of our financial situation which is obvious from any comment I make regarding our transfer business. The difference is I'm realistic both in terms of who we'll sign and the fact I don't have a fit whenever a link in the newspaper doesn't happen.
I don't have a fit about paper talk either my friend. All I'm saying is that we're cutting past the bone now and yet we still don't appear to have any money either for a fee or to pay a genuinely competitive wage. I know how down I sound but really the evidence is there for all to see. I would love to see us unearth some wonder-kid or previously un-noticed gem on a free or for next to nothing but I don't think we have any chance of doing that. 

Even the Madine and Amos deals aren't done yet and frankly I wouldn't be at all surprised if come July 1st there's no confirmation of either. In fact I wouldn't be surprised to see both of them start next season elsewhere while Neil has to scramble in the loan markets just to make a full squad.

My point was you keep bringing up us not signing Logan as if that's evidence we're fucked, it's not. The constant wage cutting  and academy status is a better indicator. But the fact we're still cutting costs doesn't mean Lennon can't bring in some talent to improve what's a shite squad IMO. 

I'll bet you a £5 donation to Cancer Research that at the very least Madine is signed once the window opens.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Logan? Who's Logan?

As to your bet I'll take it. Madine to be confirmed as our player by not later than July 8th? That's a week after the window opens. If he is confirmed by then I'll happily send a fiver to Cancer Research, if he actually gets announced on the 1st I'll double it. If (as I suspect) we get past the 8th with no official confirmation you owe cancer research a fiver. Deal?

luckyPeterpiper wrote:Logan? Who's Logan?

As to your bet I'll take it. Madine to be confirmed as our player by not later than July 8th? That's a week after the window opens. If he is confirmed by then I'll happily send a fiver to Cancer Research, if he actually gets announced on the 1st I'll double it. If (as I suspect) we get past the 8th with no official confirmation you owe cancer research a fiver. Deal?

If you've no idea who Logan is, why do you keep mentioning us missing out someone who will be playing in Europe next year?

Yes deal, consider this a handshake on the bet.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

bwfc1874 wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:Logan? Who's Logan?

If you've no idea who Logan is, why do you keep mentioning us missing out someone who will be playing in Europe next year?

Yes deal, consider this a handshake on the bet.
Big hangover and very sore tummy all day yesterday well into the early hours this morning. Head's better but stomach will be in agony for days. However thanks to the wonders of modern analgesics it should be bearable. I really should have listened to my better judgement and not had a beer with my lad but, well, it's an old family tradition that dad buys the son's first legal beer and he was eighteen on Monday.

As to Logan, yeah, forgot his name. Very embarrassing. Embarassed

It's a very honourable bet that I'll be happy to pay up on if I'm wrong. Between you and me I'm hoping it costs me a tenner. But while I trust Neil I don't trust the club. We've seen the "done deal" thing before only for there to be some "last minute" hitch. Anyway, hopefully Neil can find a few little gems out there and make the most out of them. In all truth that's the real key anyway. Not who we sign but how the manager employs them.

Happy birthday to your lad LPP.

My BIL suffers from the same thing but drinking doesn't seem to affect his as much

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:

I would love to see us unearth some wonder-kid or previously un-noticed gem on a free or for next to nothing but I don't think we have any chance of doing that. 

Agreed - the wonder-kids are all snapped up by the big spenders before they hit puberty so nobody in their right mind could expect us to sign one of them. Loan maybe.
As a priority we're in the market for players who can do a job on less money than those we had which should be enough to keep us in this division theoretically.
If we can actually improve as a team it would be a bonus in our current position but that would require us to buy specific (Lennon's criteria) undervalued players however they are hard to land as we can always be gazumped. That's why it's no big deal if we are associated with players but can't sign them at the end of the day. We have to accept that for now but it doesn't mean we're in crisis.
Surely Lennon is smart enough not to expect to get every prospect he looks at - and make contingency plans accordingly.
In our position it wouldn't surprise me if he has a list of 5 or 6 candidates for each position he feels we need to strengthen in. If so, we can expect 4 or 5 to fall through for every one we sign.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

So to start the ball rolling Neil has brought in 3 free transfers, two of whom are tried and tested and have already worked with him and the squad so that gives us a head start.
I asked if he is perhaps biding his time to see if the financial situation changes and I think that question is unaffected by these three - or at least two of them.
Perhaps the procrastination in giving e.g. Eidur a contract tends to support the hypothesis? He's not rushed into getting Palacios etc either so we'll see what the window brings, but I reckon a spate of early signings would be an indicator that's there no chance of a takeover. Conversely, the longer he delays the more likely a takeover remains on the cards or under consideration IMO.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

How about an approach to SKD and Al-Habsi. Both free agents, both did really well for us before. 

In Kev's case I'd look for a pay as you play deal and add in a coaching role. With Ali I'd offer a two year deal because I still rate him and think we were wrong to sell him in the first place. With him and Ben Amos in the squad I'd feel confident the goalkeeper situation was as good as it can be given our circumstances, finances etc. I suppose it would all come down to wages but I'd love to see both of them back here next season and that's unusual for me.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Al Habsi yes but as much as i love SKD his time has passed now, he only scored 1 goal for Preston last season

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum