Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Enrich-ing the squad on a shoestring

+10
JAH
Sluffy
boltonbonce
scottjames30
Boggersbelief
MartinBWFC
Bwfc1958
luckyPeterpiper
Norpig
wanderlust
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 5]

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boggersbelief wrote:
wanderlust wrote:Has anyone seen Wilson play? I've only seen him on telly playing for Stevenage once and Charlton once - he looked "competent" - which is pretty much all we can expect I suppose.

He looked solid against oldham, I think he'll be reliable at the very least

Reliable will be an improvement.
I'm all for getting in players that can do a job as long as we retain or loan a few that can make a difference and in recent years all our bluster has been undermined by silly defensive errors which if eliminated could make a huge difference in terms of results over the season.

That said, I had thought Marc Tierney would have solved the LB problem until he got the injury curse.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

With only days to go before the season starts properly and it's looking less likely that Neil will be able to produce some magic in the transfer market.
Here we are scratting around to try and pull in an ageing Italian full back and an even older Kevin Nolan whilst running the gauntlet of the gathering vultures trying to pick up a bargain by offering peanuts for our better players and worse still, potential offers for our young 'uns.

We need to improve on our pre-season performances but it's still possible our squad could be even further depleted.
The next few weeks of the window are going to be critical, not just for our survival in the Championship but possibly our financial survival as a club.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:With only days to go before the season starts properly and it's looking less likely that Neil will be able to produce some magic in the transfer market.
Here we are scratting around to try and pull in an ageing Italian full back and an even older Kevin Nolan whilst running the gauntlet of the gathering vultures trying to pick up a bargain by offering peanuts for our better players and worse still, potential offers for our young 'uns.

We need to improve on our pre-season performances but it's still possible our squad could be even further depleted.
The next few weeks of the window are going to be critical, not just for our survival in the Championship but possibly our financial survival as a club.
 well that's just cheered me right up, thanks Lusty  Very Happy

i think there must be something in the nolan rumour as it keeps cropping back up.  whether it means someone like clough/vela/mavies could be on the way out i don't know, but the only one i would say to get rid of to make it happen would be mavies.

clough and vela are both young and their prospects look good for the future.  Mavies is too injury prone with only fleeting flashes of brilliance whilst the rest of the time he remains anonymous.

Pisano would be a good acquisition if we can get him, especially as it is more competition for places.

As for Ream going, with both Wheater and Derik injured we would need to get somebody in quick sharp and again i think it would be better to go for an older head to control the back line.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:With only days to go before the season starts properly and it's looking less likely that Neil will be able to produce some magic in the transfer market.

Were you sat in your Norfolk armchair when you typed that?

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Were you sat in your Norfolk armchair when you typed that?

Have you forgotten our little teabagging session already? Or is "Norfolk armchair" a pet name for "your face"?

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

teabagging with Lusty and Nat  affraid That mental picture will be difficult to forget

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Just to clarify: I am not sitting on my "Norfolk armchair" ATM as it's apparently gone to work.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Just wondering if our apparent interest in Guano and Campbell means our interest in the other players we've been associated with is now at an end?
Or if it's just BS along the lines of "we tried to get a couple of good signings in but unfortunately were unable to agree a deal"?
Or Lennon is serious about Guano because he anticipates getting in a substantial offer for Tim Ream which would be sufficient to get a replacement and pay Campbell's wages?
That said, at 21 it would be a surprise if Guano got into the first team - especially as a partner for 22 y/o Derik.
Have to say that if we got these two plus Pisano without having to sell we may have the makings of a decent team.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

On a shoestring, we can't buy a goal it would appear.
OK Pisano could potentially push on and deliver some quality if he hasn't been put off signing for us already.
The Arsenal kid could potentially provide some quality on the left and right if he's allowed to wander about.
Will that be enough with Madine and Clough in the middle?

Or will PG give Neil a budget for a fox? Doubt we could afford the quality we need anyway so it may come down to Neil to make it work.

Pisano and Da Silva will give him new tactical options though...

Pointless thread

We can't even afford a shoe string

What is a shoe string?

Barb Dwyer wrote:What is a shoe string?

Its what the americans call a shoelace

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

shoe·string (sho͞o′strĭng′)
n.
1. See shoelace.
2. A small sum of money; capital that is barely adequate: a company that started on a shoestring.
adj.
1. Long and slender: shoestring potatoes.
2. Marked by or consisting of a small amount of money: a shoestring budget.

Bristol City have just paid over £9 million for Andre Gray. Brentford now have £9 million to spend.

Neither of these supposed "smaller clubs" are working on a shoestring.

Neil really does have a big task ahead if he survives.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

this is the problem, where have Bristol City got that kind of cash from? I presume a rich owner and until we can find someone willing to invest in the club we are going to be perennial relegation fodder.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:this is the problem, where have Bristol City got that kind of cash from? I presume a rich owner and until we can find someone willing to invest in the club we are going to be perennial relegation fodder.
Some of our rivals are spending big money to have a run at the playoffs. Others are spending to ensure their survival.
We're spending nothing so our manager has to work miracles which is the subject of the "En-riching the squad on a shoestring" thread.

As it happens, we didn't get Sergi Enrich who has now joined SD Eibar in La Liga - another target we couldn't afford.

There isn't a team in this league that couldn't give us a run for our money so it's over to you Neil.

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

wanderlust wrote:
Norpig wrote:this is the problem, where have Bristol City got that kind of cash from? I presume a rich owner and until we can find someone willing to invest in the club we are going to be perennial relegation fodder.
Some of our rivals are spending big money to have a run at the playoffs. Others are spending to ensure their survival.
We're spending nothing so our manager has to work miracles which is the subject of the "En-riching the squad on a shoestring" thread.

As it happens, we didn't get Sergi Enrich who has now joined SD Eibar in La Liga - another target we couldn't afford.

There isn't a team in this league that couldn't give us a run for our money so it's over to you Neil.
Gartside is saving for a rainy day!  If we lose again this week, it may be pouring!
Sell the bloody club already Eddie!  The losses are fictional tax devices and get real with your expectations.  Neil has to get us some striker (I can't believe we let ALF go by) to keep us up.  My guess is we will go from 8th worst management to first if we get relegated by lack of ambition and money.

Bollotom2014

Bollotom2014
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Probably worth more as a concrete technology park or shopping mall.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

observer wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

Gartside is saving for a rainy day!  If we lose again this week, it may be pouring!
Sell the bloody club already Eddie!  The losses are fictional tax devices and get real with your expectations.  Neil has to get us some striker (I can't believe we let ALF go by) to keep us up.  My guess is we will go from 8th worst management to first if we get relegated by lack of ambition and money.

There's plenty of ambition but no money.

The ambition is not to go bankrupt Obs. Forget promotion - we can't afford it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum