Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tory Leadership

+13
Soul Kitchen
okocha
Norpig
whatsgoingon
Copper Dragon
Boggersbelief
Natasha Whittam
Reebok Trotter
Sluffy
Chairmanda
xmiles
luckyPeterpiper
wanderlust
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 7]

41Tory Leadership - Page 3 Empty Re: Tory Leadership Tue Jul 05 2016, 17:16

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

okocha wrote:Voting with confidence either way was almost impossible due to the conflicting pros and cons, the lies, exaggerations and negative campaigning on both sides. "Abstain in disgust" should have been an option on the ballot paper.

However, the aftermath has been even more dispiriting. Conflict and division dominate. If Remain had won by a similar margin, would the Leavers have marched in protest against the will of the majority? Surely the result showed that most citizens were in favour of democracy and self-governance at the expense of the economic arguments that few chose to believe.....unsurprisingly when "experts" and government have proved themselves wrong, unprincipled and deceitful so often in the recent past. DC's camp have only got themselves to blame, like the boy who cried "wolf".

The trouble with the Leave outcome is that no party is in any fit state to oversee what is necessary for our country, so the idea of self-governance has rebounded on us due to the lack of quality in our leaders. I despair when I read that some ministers are backing the weasel Gove for PM!! One of them even says that he is a "man of immense principle"!!!  I just don't understand:- how can he ever be trusted again? Don't ministers ever learn or are they just dim?

It has also now been shown that the EU is not only undemocratic but incapable of change or reform. The pitiful concessions DC "won" should have been warning enough as were responses to BBC website articles where huge numbers (over 80% of our people) were backing Leave. To be unprepared is shameful on both sides.

:agree:

42Tory Leadership - Page 3 Empty Re: Tory Leadership Tue Jul 05 2016, 18:25

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

whatsgoingon wrote:The austerity budget which Osborne has already said won't be happening
That's a fair point although it is the media that are speculating he won't and they can't agree.
The Telegraph suggest that austerity measures will remain until 2020 however the impact on the economy is so bad others including the Gurniad are predicting Osborne will be forced to abandon austerity in favour of giving incentives to try to shock the economy back into life. This is the Gurniad's take on it.
Interesting how the the issue is now crossing the political divide. They all agree we're f****d but can't agree what Osborne should do about it.
The Telegraph's assessment..

Last edited by wanderlust on Tue Jul 05 2016, 18:28; edited 1 time in total

43Tory Leadership - Page 3 Empty Re: Tory Leadership Tue Jul 05 2016, 18:27

It's not happening because Leave MPs said they'd veto it if he tried it, so he dropped it pre referendum.

44Tory Leadership - Page 3 Empty Re: Tory Leadership Tue Jul 05 2016, 18:39

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Fox is the first to be voted off in the leadership race.

45Tory Leadership - Page 3 Empty Re: Tory Leadership Tue Jul 05 2016, 18:42

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:It's not happening because Leave MPs said they'd veto it if he tried it, so he dropped it pre referendum.
That was back in the days before the financial markets revealed their hand and anyway he couldn't win that fight then, so now he's going to do the same thing but call it something else.
That said, if you read the Telegraph article he appears to be saying that whilst he's dropping the plan to reduce the National debt by paying back a load of the gazillions he's already borrowed he still intends to "continue to be tough on the deficit" whilst at the same time handing out incentives to business to make Britain competitive and retain inward investment.
Or having his cake and eating it as ordinary folk call it.

I don't think he really knows what he can do TBH. Is that how you read it?

46Tory Leadership - Page 3 Empty Re: Tory Leadership Tue Jul 05 2016, 18:44

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Tory Leadership - Page 3 CmnkdHjXYAU48hi

47Tory Leadership - Page 3 Empty Re: Tory Leadership Tue Jul 05 2016, 20:23

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm pretty sure we can write off Crabb and Gove so even if Leadsom get's their voters nominations she hasn't got enough to topple Mother Theresa.

48Tory Leadership - Page 3 Empty Re: Tory Leadership Tue Jul 05 2016, 20:30

Crabbe's pulled out now and backed May.

49Tory Leadership - Page 3 Empty Re: Tory Leadership Tue Jul 05 2016, 20:38

50Tory Leadership - Page 3 Empty Re: Tory Leadership Tue Jul 05 2016, 20:43

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

It is actually quite interesting to hear politicians speak when they speak openly and are not just prostituting themselves for votes

51Tory Leadership - Page 3 Empty Re: Tory Leadership Tue Jul 05 2016, 21:59

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

wanderlust wrote:
okocha wrote:Voting with confidence either way was almost impossible due to the conflicting pros and cons, the lies, exaggerations and negative campaigning on both sides. "Abstain in disgust" should have been an option on the ballot paper.
I generally agree with the points but I take issue on this one Okocha.

The lie that won the campaign was that both sides were lying.

Remain were absolutely honest in saying "the experts think that leaving the EU will cause irreparable damage to the country but (financial forecasting isn't an 100% exact science and therefore...) we can't be certain."

Obviously no expert in their right mind would claim that any forecast is guaranteed 100% accurate - but it is the most likely option from the information available.

The fact that the experts gave a professional disclaimer was twisted into being "nobody knows" (instead of "our brightest brains think the most likely outcome will be")

And once the concept of "nobody knows for sure" was positioned central in the public mind, it soon morphed into "they're telling lies" - which is the opposite of what happened in the case of the Remain campaign.

I may have overlooked something but I'm genuinely struggling to think of anything the Remain campaign said that has subsequently turned out to be a lie. Remind me....
Wander, here's your answer. Not my words but those of online political platform "Backbench". You might want to add all that DC stuff about WW3.

"The Remain campaign and many in the establishment inaccurately claim that Brexit would endanger jobs and trade. They suggest that the EU would respond by building trade barriers against Britain. Yet, all EU countries have to follow the rules of the World Trade Organisation (WTO), which prevents them from enforcing trade barriers. Britain is the fifth largest economy in the world and has a trade deficit with the EU of £61.7 billion. It is simply not in the best interests of countries like Spain and Germany to stop selling cars and holidays to Brits. The Germans sell far more to us than we do them.

It has been implied that leaving the Single Market would be an economic travesty for Britain. Yet, Norway, Liechtenstein and Iceland all chose to become members of the Single Market, despite being outside the EU. Moreover, even if we didn’t decide to remain in the Single Market, we would still be in good company. The top ten exporters to the EU are: China, Russia, the USA, Switzerland, Norway, Japan, Turkey, India, South Korea and Brazil. Only one of these countries is a member of the Single Market and six of them do not have trade deals with the EU. This shows the desperate win-at-all costs attitude of the Remain campaign, who manipulate tenuous economic assertions to bolster a dangerous myth.

Members of the Remain campaign like to say that 50% of our trade is dependent upon the EU – an exaggerated figure. In 1999, 54.7% of our international trade was with the EU. Today, that figure stands at 43%, and only 5% of British companies trade with the EU. Despite this, 100% of our businesses have to comply with EU regulations. If we left the EU, 95% of our businesses would be free from EU jurisdiction.

Yet, the most spurious claim of all is that three million jobs depend upon EU trade. The figure arose from a study conducted by the National Institute of Economic and Social Affairs in 1999. Nick Clegg, one of the most pro-European politicians in Parliament, threw this figure around to help justify the Liberal Democrats’ desire to integrate further into the EU. Nonetheless, the Institute’s Director, Martin Weale, dismissed these claims as "pure Goebbels." These jobs are dependent upon trade, not EU membership. The EU would be guilty of economic suicide if it ended the former in the event of Brexit.

With a seat at the WTO, we will no doubt organise better trade deals for Britain instead of being tied to the failed Common Commercial Policy of the EU. Those who support Brexit are the true champions of globalisation, not the failed regionalisation of the EU that has caused abject misery across Europe.

52Tory Leadership - Page 3 Empty Re: Tory Leadership Tue Jul 05 2016, 22:16

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

And this from "The Commentator":-

Remainers based their entire campaign on utterly dishonest scaremongering. Most of the lies they told have already been blown out of the water. For example, it took George Osborne barely 24 hours to admit that he wouldn't, after all, be holding an emergency budget. He knew he was lying when he made the threat.

53Tory Leadership - Page 3 Empty Re: Tory Leadership Wed Jul 06 2016, 12:49

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

okocha wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
I generally agree with the points but I take issue on this one Okocha.

The lie that won the campaign was that both sides were lying.

Remain were absolutely honest in saying "the experts think that leaving the EU will cause irreparable damage to the country but (financial forecasting isn't an 100% exact science and therefore...) we can't be certain."

Obviously no expert in their right mind would claim that any forecast is guaranteed 100% accurate - but it is the most likely option from the information available.

The fact that the experts gave a professional disclaimer was twisted into being "nobody knows" (instead of "our brightest brains think the most likely outcome will be")

And once the concept of "nobody knows for sure" was positioned central in the public mind, it soon morphed into "they're telling lies" - which is the opposite of what happened in the case of the Remain campaign.

I may have overlooked something but I'm genuinely struggling to think of anything the Remain campaign said that has subsequently turned out to be a lie. Remind me....
Wander, here's your answer. Not my words but those of online political platform "Backbench". You might want to add all that DC stuff about WW3.

"The Remain campaign and many in the establishment inaccurately claim that Brexit would endanger jobs and trade. They suggest that the EU would respond by building trade barriers against Britain. Yet, all EU countries have to follow the rules of the World Trade Organisation (WTO), which prevents them from enforcing trade barriers. Britain is the fifth largest economy in the world and has a trade deficit with the EU of £61.7 billion. It is simply not in the best interests of countries like Spain and Germany to stop selling cars and holidays to Brits. The Germans sell far more to us than we do them.

It has been implied that leaving the Single Market would be an economic travesty for Britain. Yet, Norway, Liechtenstein and Iceland all chose to become members of the Single Market, despite being outside the EU. Moreover, even if we didn’t decide to remain in the Single Market, we would still be in good company. The top ten exporters to the EU are: China, Russia, the USA, Switzerland, Norway, Japan, Turkey, India, South Korea and Brazil. Only one of these countries is a member of the Single Market and six of them do not have trade deals with the EU. This shows the desperate win-at-all costs attitude of the Remain campaign, who manipulate tenuous economic assertions to bolster a dangerous myth.

Members of the Remain campaign like to say that 50% of our trade is dependent upon the EU – an exaggerated figure. In 1999, 54.7% of our international trade was with the EU. Today, that figure stands at 43%, and only 5% of British companies trade with the EU. Despite this, 100% of our businesses have to comply with EU regulations. If we left the EU, 95% of our businesses would be free from EU jurisdiction.

Yet, the most spurious claim of all is that three million jobs depend upon EU trade. The figure arose from a study conducted by the National Institute of Economic and Social Affairs in 1999. Nick Clegg, one of the most pro-European politicians in Parliament, threw this figure around to help justify the Liberal Democrats’ desire to integrate further into the EU. Nonetheless, the Institute’s Director, Martin Weale, dismissed these claims as "pure Goebbels." These jobs are dependent upon trade, not EU membership. The EU would be guilty of economic suicide if it ended the former in the event of Brexit.

With a seat at the WTO, we will no doubt organise better trade deals for Britain instead of being tied to the failed Common Commercial Policy of the EU. Those who support Brexit are the true champions of globalisation, not the failed regionalisation of the EU that has caused abject misery across Europe.

Whoever wrote this nonsense needs to keep up to date as it was obviously written before the referendum. This article bases itself on a bunch of assumptions that have subsequently proven to be mistaken.

* Britain WAS the world's fifth largest economy before the vote.

Within three days our economy was devalued so much that we have been overtaken         by the French -  and Brazil will be the next one to overtake us.

* They didn't bank on our AAA credit rating being downgraded to AA negative so these trade deals they were gambling on are going to be a damn sight harder to achieve than they aniticipated. I suppose the positive side of that is that Osborne will have to stop the monumental levels of borrowing he's been getting into to prop up the Government since they came to power so at least our debt won't increase too much. How we are going to repay the existing loans is another story though.

* The pound has tumbled much further than they thought it ever would. The Leave campaign said we could expect this for a couple of days and then the pound would bounce back. It didn't and it's continuing to fall. Yesterday, the Asian markets closed with pound at a 31 year low against the dollar.

* The pound has fallen 14% against the dollar so far and 10% against the Euro with all analysts predicting further falls until it reaches it's true value about 15% below the level it had pre-referendum where it will stabilise.

Even if we only devalue our economy by 10% it will mean the loss of thousands of jobs, years of austerity and underinvestment in schools, hospitals and infrastructure, reduced pensions, higher prices, negative equity in the housing market and will cost more British lives than the Iraq War.

Love the pre-referendum jingoistic rhetoric but unfortunately they got it completely wrong as the fact that we are still in freefall - and they've all run a mile - proves.

54Tory Leadership - Page 3 Empty Re: Tory Leadership Wed Jul 06 2016, 16:49

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Chairmanda wrote:
whatsgoingon wrote:It's becoming increasingly obvious that the leave campaigners didn't expect or want to get the leave vote, but wanted it to be close enough to undermine the government and it's leadership and claim a moral victory.
To actually win the vote was something they hadn't even anticipated it seems, so like has been said many times they are like rats leaving a sinking ship.
A close remain vote would have been the ideal scenario all round because the status quo would have been maintained but a warning shot would have been fired across the bows of both the government and the EU about the need for reform.
Completely agree. And also agree with Wanders, the legality is clear on one point at least. We are a representative democracy, any public vote such as a referendum, is advisory only. May we live in interesting times!

We are only a democracy when it suits!
Ask the Tories if they'll carry out electoral reform to avoid a one party state for the next decade or so!?
They were bellyacheing over BMA 58% vote yesterday saying it wasn't big enough to strike!!! Ffs 4% was big enough to plunge the country into the dark ages?

55Tory Leadership - Page 3 Empty Re: Tory Leadership Wed Jul 06 2016, 18:17

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I agree with much of  what those above have said about the fact that both sides can summon  facts and statistics about the perceived effect of either staying or leaving. But now the vote has taken place we're faced with a stark choice of going ahead with Brexit with all the issues that come with that, or a parliament which refuses to endorse that non binding opinion and simply doesn't trigger Article 50.  I don't see the latter causing civil war-  so what exactly would voters do? And I mean exactly?  What would they do apart from mouth off about it.
Its difficult to conceive of anything that they could legally or rationally do if that should happen.
But what gets my goat at the minute is the cliché ridden aspiration that now 'we should all pull together'
What does that virtually meaningless statement mean? I work my bollocks off, earn a fairly large amount of money and pay exactly what I'm asked to pay in tax? Probably the same as many of you do in your day jobs.
But many people (almost all of those who voted for the chaos of leaving-based on lies or not) are now coming out with platitudes like 'we've all got to do our bit to make it work'
To me that's just a meaningless bundle of words - mainly because I don't know how I'm supposed to 'pull together' to make this disastrous decision  work.
So- all you people who voted to leave tell me what you want me to do to 'pull together' to make up for your appalling mistake- because I don't know what  I'm supposed to do.
 And when you're telling me how I'm supposed to 'pull together' tell me also what you are doing to 'pull together' as well

56Tory Leadership - Page 3 Empty Re: Tory Leadership Wed Jul 06 2016, 19:40

Spot on, Rammy.

Yes, I am bitter and angry about the result and I'll freely admit it.

I'm angry at the millions of ill-informed idiots who got taken in by a bunch of shysters who lied to them.

And when I now hear them lecturing me that I need to graciously accept the result and "do my bit" to try and mitigate the consequences of their epic mistake, it pisses me off.

Because I didn't contribute to putting us in this mess, it was 100% down to them.

57Tory Leadership - Page 3 Empty Re: Tory Leadership Wed Jul 06 2016, 19:55

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Unfortunately the overriding question on this matter seems to be ME ME ME. What has leaving the EU done for me? How much will it take from me?

I'm sorry folks but earning a "fairly large amount" doesn't mean a thing. This decision is about the future, not the present.

Your children and grandchildren will live in a better and fairer England, the fact that your "fairly large amount" may end up a "quite large amount" is irrelevant.

Too many people piping on about how it will impact them right this minute. Sometimes momentous decisions have to be taken for the long term good of the country.

Suck it up.

58Tory Leadership - Page 3 Empty Re: Tory Leadership Wed Jul 06 2016, 20:13

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:Unfortunately the overriding question on this matter seems to be ME ME ME. What has leaving the EU done for me? How much will it take from me?

I'm sorry folks but earning a "fairly large amount" doesn't mean a thing. This decision is about the future, not the present.

Your children and grandchildren will live in a better and fairer England, the fact that your "fairly large amount" may end up a "quite large amount" is irrelevant.

Too many people piping on about how it will impact them right this minute. Sometimes momentous decisions have to be taken for the long term good of the country.

Suck it up.

Just been reading through your endless justifications for this "better and fairer England" argument.

Oh hang on a minute, I can't even find one.

Stop making claims that you simply can't back up with anything concrete.

59Tory Leadership - Page 3 Empty Re: Tory Leadership Wed Jul 06 2016, 20:22

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:

Just been reading through your endless justifications for this "better and fairer England" argument.

I'm talking as a businesswoman and how it will improve my business, and therefore the lives of my employees. And it'll be the same in businesses up and down the country.

That's how an economy grows.

I'd go into more detail but you wouldn't understand.

60Tory Leadership - Page 3 Empty Re: Tory Leadership Wed Jul 06 2016, 20:33

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
doffcocker wrote:

I'm talking as a businesswoman and how it will improve my business, and therefore the lives of my employees. And it'll be the same in businesses up and down the country.

That's how an economy grows.

I'd go into more detail but you wouldn't understand.
Nat you're not a businesswoman and you have neither a business nor any employees.  And you don't have a clue about how an economy grows either. You're up to your usual game of attempting to get attention and in the process trivialising everything you go near. Why don't you leave this discussion to the grown ups and go tell your fairy stories on some other website.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum